• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

CL21BHS and Highlander

Started by jeanbenjaminl, July 25, 2016, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeanbenjaminl

Hello, 

I'm currently shopping for a new tow vehicle. 
I'm looking for a Highlander (5000# towing capacity) and probably buying a CL21BHS...

I would like to avoid buying a truck only to do camping....

I know the GVWR of the CL21BHS is at the top of the capacity of the highlander. 

I would like to know if any of you had an experience towing a camplite with a Highlander (or Pilot or pathfinder)

Do you think i would be near the limit of my TV?

Thanks!

gnies

You will feel more comfortable with a pickup truck with a 21 foot trailer, also it is really convenient to pack your stuff in a truck bed. I was using a Ford Escape to tow my 13QBB, it was doing fine but I felt I was pushing the limit and had problems fitting my stuff in the Ford Escape that's why I switched to a Ford F150. You should also take into consideration that a travel trailer have a high front area that drag into the winds and often SUV are rated with a low square foot frontal area limit, in the case of my Escape it was 30 foot sq. So I was exceeding that limit with my 13QBB and Ford Escape, which is another reason why I switched to a F150. If you are in the market for a new TV you are better buying a truck now than buying a SUV a regret it later and have to switch to a truck like me. Most SUV are done to tow boat, popup camper or utility trailer that has a low frontal area not a travel trailer

david

There have been several threads discussing towing a 21 with that kind of TV. Even though the trailer gross weight will probably be within limits, all of those TVs have a 500 lb tongue weight limit and the 21 will be 600 lbs or more.

You can beef up the suspension with air bags and reinforce the hitch attachments like fasteddie did, but that would not be the best solution. I would look at an SUV with at least a 6,000 lb tow limit and a tongue weight of 650 lbs. Even then you will need a WDH.

One of these should work better: Chevy/GM Tahoe/Surburban/Yukon; Dodge Durango; Ford Expedition; Jeep Grand Cherokee; Toyoto Sequoia;

David
David M

16TBS towed with a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder

mitch

and not fer nothing the gas mileage on a F-150 pickup is about the same as the Highlander.
Mitch
2013 13QBB
2015 Ford F-150
Anderson 3324 WDH

gbpack

Jeanbenjaminl- Sorry in advance for the long response. Like you, we did not want to buy a pickup truck just for the purposes of towing our 21BHS. We too looked at SUV's like the Highlander and 4-Runner, but the towing capacity just isn't there and the tongue weight limits will get you as well. You don't want to be right at your vehicle's towing capacity as you're pulling out of the driveway fully loaded. Typically you want to be at no more than 80% of your vehicle's towing capacity, just to give yourself a little cushion. Also, those vehicles are not available with a V-8 engine, which we really wanted for additional towing capacity, especially if you're ever going to be going over high mountain ranges like the Rockies (which we plan to do one of these years). Now there are plenty of larger SUV's that offer a V-8 engine, such as a Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon, Ford Expedition, and the Toyota Sequoia, but all of those vehicles are fairly large, tough to get in and out of parking spots (or even your garage), and are also very expensive. We wanted an SUV that wasn't quite as large as those, but still with a V-8 engine. After a long and exhaustive search we didn't find any, other than the Jeep Grand Cherokee, which we bought. Let me tell you, we absolutely LOVE the Grand Cherokee. You don't necessarily need to get the optional V-8 engine (if you're not planning on going over mountains), but if you don't, then I think the towing capacity is going to be back down around 5500 lbs (our V-8 has towing capacity of 7,200 lbs which gives us a nice extra cushion and it's an absolute beast as far as accelerating with a fully loaded trailer on back, even when going uphill). Either way, regardless of which size engine you select, be sure that you get the optional trailer towing package. Besides the trailer hitch and all the necessary lighting connections, the towing package gives you a separate radiator for the transmission fluid (which keeps that nice and cool when towing). Also be sure that you get the automatic leveling system (that might be part of the towing package but I'm not sure). You definitely would need that as well and it's the cat's meow! Through the use of air bags, it automatically levels-out the Jeep's suspension after you hitch up the trailer (pumps more air in the rear bags to raise up the back end). It's really neat and it works very well. With the V-8 engine, towing package and automatic suspension leveling system, the Jeep Grand Cherokee tows our fully loaded 21BHS like a champ. It is reasonably priced, has a nice interior with a lot of luxuries, and has a great overall ride feel (whether towing or not). It's fun to drive and looks great. We did get the Andersen WDH system as well, which also helps and provides nice sway control as well. All up, it would do a great job for you as well and I think you'd really like it. We got the Overland model, as it was about the same price as the Limited once you loaded up the Limited with the towing package and automatic leveling system, plus with the Overland you get ventilated seats (really nice!) and a few other options that the Limited doesn't have. Also, be sure to get the 4-wheel drive.

leslie

I agree with gbpack about a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We towed our 21 BHS from the Midwest to the Pacific Northwest with no problems. We have the 3.9L V-8 engine. We weighed our 21 BHS, and took out enough stuff to get our weight down to 4300 lbs with empty tanks. I am thinking about putting some stuff back.

The tow capacity of my JGC is 6,500 lbs.
Located in Kentucky and Florida at present

shark24

We pull our 21 bhs with a 2014 pathfinder. We are looking at trading soon for something that pulls more than 5000lbs. It pulls fine but doesn't have the power it needs to pull loose gravel hills coming out of campgrounds. You know you are at peak pulling most of the time. Like the gas mileage for everyday use with pathfinder so contemplation is to trade when we will camp a few weeks a year and do normal no pull driving the rest of the year. We also own a highlander. Get something that will pull over 6000 to enjoy towing a wonderful camper! We love our 21bhs!

daplumbr

[quote source="/post/23371/thread" author="@leslie" timestamp="1469503034"]I agree with gbpack about a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We towed our 21 BHS from the Midwest to the Pacific Northwest with no problems. We have the 3.9L V-8 engine. We weighed our 21 BHS, and took out enough stuff to get our weight down to 4300 lbs with empty tanks. I am thinking about putting some stuff back.

The tow capacity of my JGC is 6,500 lbs.[/quote]I didn't know Jeep had a 3.9L V8 engine. What year is your JGC? 

leslie

daplumbr

JGC had a 3.6L V6 in 2014. That's a great engine for towing, especially when paired with the Jeep auto-manual transmission. I enjoyed your stories of how great the JGC-21BHS combo did crossing the divide on the way west. 

leslie

I special-ordered my Jeep, and the 3.9L is what they told me I got, with the paddles and the towing package. I would prefer a stick shift, but that is very difficult to get.

gbpack

Leslie - No offense, but I think you have a V-6. I don't think FCA ever offered a V-8 under 5 liters, but I could be wrong. Check under the hood. If it is a V-8 then it will say so (in big writing) on top of the manifold.  

gnies

[quote source="/post/23383/thread" timestamp="1469529297" author="@gbpack"]Leslie - No offense, but I think you have a V-6. I don't think FCA ever offered a V-8 under 5 liters, but I could be wrong. Check under the hood. If it is a V-8 then it will say so (in big writing) on top of the manifold.  [/quote][p]I checked online and it seem to have those two engine for a 2014 JGC[/p][p]
[/p][p]
[/p][p]DOHC 24-valve 3.6-liter V-6, 290 hp, 260 lb-ft[/p][p]
[/p][p]DOHC 16-valve 5.7-liter V-8, 360 hp, 390 lb-ft
[/p]

gnies

I agree that a larger SUV should probably do the job but I am probably bias because I have a pickup truck but that would be my choice

gbpack

Quote from: @paul" source="/post/23384/thread" timestamp="1469530825[quote source="/post/23383/thread" author="@gbpack" timestamp="1469529297"]Leslie - No offense, but I think you have a V-6. I don't think FCA ever offered a V-8 under 5 liters, but I could be wrong. Check under the hood. If it is a V-8 then it will say so (in big writing) on top of the manifold.  
[p]I checked online and it seem to have those two engine for a 2014 JGC[/p][p]
[/p][p]
[/p][p]DOHC 24-valve 3.6-liter V-6, 290 hp, 260 lb-ft[/p][p]
[/p][p]DOHC 16-valve 5.7-liter V-8, 360 hp, 390 lb-ft
[/p][/quote]

Paul - You are correct. The V-8 engine in the Grand Cherokee is a 5.7 liter that now generates 370hp.