Author Topic: 10.0 Mods/Upgrades as I do them  (Read 5636 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
    • View Profile
10.0 Mods/Upgrades as I do them
« on: March 05, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »
Flooring:
So far the only upgrade I've gotten around to doing is adding a foam rubber floor covering. We took two packs of generic gym floor type foam tiles that were about 1.5 or 2 foot squares that interlock to cover the majority of the floor. I say the majority b/c I decided not to  put the flooring under the bench seats. I figured it wasn't worth it just to have the foam rubber compressed and the seats feel unstable. Other than that everything else was covered. It makes the floor so much more comfortable on the bare feet.

I'll see about adding some pictures when I can.

-Sean

admin

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 04:42:46 PM »
Ideas:
I've been thinking about what I can do to add some functionality to the rig. I have some ideas about plumbing up a small water pump, that with the right kind of plumbing, would allow me to have a hot shower outside...

Maybe an inlet from the water line and out to a 4 way valve like you would find for the garden which would give you the ability to route that water either to the sink, to a water heater, to a shower, or maybe even a portable toilet. The whole system could run off the 12v battery and is only limited by the water supply. As I see it a 5-7 gallon water jug should be more than enough for most needs.

I've seen some interesting water heater ideas. Some as simple as a copper coil that you have over a fire or stove to heat the water as it passes. Or go with the simplest option and heat the water in a pot and mix as needed in the source jug.

I hope these ramblings made sense to someone :) I'm open to ideas or improvments

-Sean

meeks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 02:20:15 PM »
Even simpler is a hook to hang a sunshower which you could either heat in the sun for several hours or add some hotwater from the stove. Have done that for years on a boat. You could also get a hammock tree anchor (the kind made of webbing and is removable) and use that to hang the sunshower - they have a fairly long hose so being close to the tree wouldn't really matter.

If you have a camplite people have put a water holding bag on the roof of campers that gets hot from the sun, used PVC pipe to then channel the water to a hose. Trouble with that it it could get quite hot and I am not sure what the weight limit is for a camplite roof. Water is heavy.

vmcmn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 07:26:48 PM »
As far as a water heater there is a company called Zodi that makes one for a portable shower.It uses a disposable propane canister like you would find on a grill and heats the water as it passes thru a coil. The water is pushed up thru the lines by a submersible pump that is operated by batteries.I use one with my shower tent,you just have be careful not to let the water source run out while the flame is on.
Tim

Tallahassee,Fl.

2011 QS 8.1

Towed with either 2007 Chevy HHR

or 1994 GMC Sierra 1500

wag

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 04:52:56 PM »
Zodi's are great....we've used them for camping/ power outages, etc... one set of c-cell batteries for the pump lasts for weeks. The propane lasts
 for days.. They provide a nice hot shower in just a few minutes including setup time....but like Tim says...make sure you have plenty of water! 2-3 gallons min.

heidi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 12:59:36 PM »
Hi! We are looking at buying that gym flooring too. I have a question did you have to cut it down to go in the walkway? Just wondering how close that walkway is to two feet.

Thanks
Heidi

aznighthiker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 06:54:32 PM »
We use 3'x5' rubber backed mats and a small rubber backed mat entry mat and placed them on the floor, this works fine for us. Our campsite (tent or camper) also includes a large screen gazebo which we use for cooking and lounging. We also utilize a small shelter for showering and restroom. The water is heated in a Camp Chef bucket with faucet on a Camp Chef stove. The water is drained into a large plastic bucket and placed on a small folding table. A D cell powered battery pump provides water flow to the shower head. We also use this method to heat up water for dishes.

Growing up tent camper (Apache Ravenwood) camping in the mid 60's we had the canvas add-a-room and a screen room that attached to the camper. It was to much a pain to use and took up a lot of storage space. The Camp Commander (the wife) had the same experience camping with her parents. When we purchased our camper we opted to use a screen gazebo instead of something that attached to the camper.  
15 Jumping Jack Camper
05 Wrangler, 10 Wrangler Unlimited

admin

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »
Quote from: @heidi" source="/post/512/thread" timestamp="1397318376
Hi! We are looking at buying that gym flooring too. I have a question did you have to cut it down to go in the walkway? Just wondering how close that walkway is to two feet.

Thanks
Heidi

I had to make a good number of cuts to make everything fit just right, but I basically did the entire floor. The best thing to do is take your time and plan out where and how you need to cut. I quickly found that you cant just start in one corner and work your way out. If you do, you will end up with a ton of small pieces and seems all over the place. Dont be worried about the project, if you take your time it wont be difficult, it might just take a bit longer than you would think.

-Sean

admin

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »
Finally got around to adding a "rear deck" to the QS. The actual project consisted of adding a reinforcing piece of 2x4 tubing to the existing bumper. Unfortunately nobody locally keeps this material in stock, and they all said if they ordered it, they would have to order a 20' section. So I turned to my trusty friend, Amazon. I found a 60" 2x4 piece of 1/8" thick aluminum ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H9L68Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). I also ordered a bolt on 2" receiver designed for clamping around a 4x4 bumper ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00174ZHGU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). Lastly I sourced a 60" wide rack designed to fit the 2" receiver ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049J3SK2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ).

Now for assembly...The frame rails were 2x3 tubes and the distance between them came out to be 58.5". So I had the new 2x4 tube notched out by about 3/4" on each end and then welded into place so the tops were flush with each other. The idea was for the slight boost in strength from having the new tube actually extend under the frame rails. I had a local shop complete the welding which turned out alright. Personally I think the welds are functional but I would have expected a pro to have nicer looking welds. After the new tube was installed it was a simple matter of clamping the new receiver hitch to the top.

I like this setup mainly because now I'm not limited to a rear deck. I can add any accessory that fits into a 2" receiver; such as a bike rack.

I posted a few pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/52403555@N05/sets/72157648811621184/
The rack fits a bit loosely so its a bit crooked in the picture, but the receiver has a built in bolt to tighten it up.
The rack is rated at 500lbs. The receiver isn't technically rated since its marketed as an accessory attachment point, but I figure if its rated for a fully loaded bike rack it should safely hold a couple hundred pounds. Honestly the single point I'm most worried about is how the bumper and frame will handle an additional load hanging off the rear.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I know torque loads bouncing at the rear of the camper with even 200 pounds have to be significant. A small generator and gas can will be about 100 pounds. Then add other odds and ends and I think 200 pounds would be the high end of what I would want back there.

Either way, it looks like the Table Rock trip will be its first time out for a test run :)

-Sean

pinstriper

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 10:59:36 AM »
Try the first few runs with a couple cans of water instead of your generator. That way if it collapses...
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

admin

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 12:29:39 PM »
yeah i was planning on cheap items first :) maybe a load of wood or something...

husaberger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 11:49:48 AM »
wood isn't "cheap" :) its a required thing for camping :)

pinstriper

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 01:00:53 PM »
[quote source="/post/7399/thread" timestamp="1425400179" author="@admin"]yeah i was planning on cheap items first :) maybe a load of wood or something...[/quote]I'll bet the guy behind you when it lets go would prefer running over some water instead of a bunch of firewood chunks. I'll just bet that.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

admin

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 01:13:01 PM »
I never said I planned to test it on a main road right away ;)

I live far enough out that I'll have plenty of space for it to fail in the most spectacular way and not impact anyone else. However I still plan for it to work perfectly because we all know our ideas always work out perfectly the first time...right...

whoofit

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 05:33:10 PM »
[p]That looks great! Our bikes don't weigh a lot but still that 45lbs bouncing around back there. Who knows what'll happen and when. Boy they sure don't give that tubing away either do they?

The foam flooring seems cleaner than the spray on foam under coat we are considering. I cringe to think how much that stuff will swell and cure all over everything. Still undecided on our best solution for heating season. I've heard of the one inch thick pink hard foam basement insulation being used but it wouldn't be soft under foot like yours is.[/p][p]
[/p][p]Great Job![/p][p]
[/p][p]And to add: You would get pulled over with a load of wood back there 'round here. The Asian Longhorned Beetle is the latest pest du jour. No transportation of firewood allowed. A Windfall for the campgrounds.[/p][p]
[/p][p]
[/p]