• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

Member ideas for saving our forum

Started by pygrydr, November 18, 2016, 01:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charleschapman

I used this forum for researching the purchase of our new 16 TBS last year.  Our second LL the previous was a 6.0.  

admin

@sandroad, I'm responding on my phone so I'll keep it short. LL will have no access to the forum data. Never have and never will at this point.

admin

I must say, having worked briefly with Scott Tuttle and then moving over to Christian after the first sale of LL, this most recent change in management is by far the most difficult to deal with. I get the sense that LL is no more than a name now and the new management only sees it as a way to cash in. The problem is I don't think they actually understand what made this brand successful to begin with. I cant complain about my camper b/c it is pre-Thor and being a Quick Silver it is almost too simple to screw up. However I foresee the Camplite line going down hill quickly.

At this point I'd rather give a backup/export of this forum to another owner over seeing it go corporate. I cant say for certain but I would put money on the fact that any forum run by the new management will become nothing more than a lead generator for them. With the added benefit of mass market email ability.

I can promise this, my opinion of the overall company has dipped to the point that I will praise my specific trailer while warning people to never purchase a new one.

charliem

[font size="3"]As a major contributor to this forum I can no longer recommend LL campers. An active and independent user forum is a major selling point. Thor's decision indicates a lack of consideration for their user base and a lack of appreciation of the owners' sales potential.

A similar event took place at Forest River with the RPOD forum, with the predictable result. Compare the forums today: one thriving, two dead. Last six months on the independent forum: 69 pages of new posts with 5300+ registered members.  Last six months on the flagship dealer sponsored forum: 5 pages of posts with the same forum software and only 3000 members. The factory sponsored forum has 5 pages of posts total since 2011.

Thor's decision not to support this forum is their decision; the decision not to support LL is my decision. [/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

pinstriper

Quote from: @admin" source="/post/26462/thread" timestamp="1481896990
At this point I'd rather give a backup/export of this forum to another owner over seeing it go corporate. I cant say for certain but I would put money on the fact that any forum run by the new management will become nothing more than a lead generator for them. With the added benefit of mass market email ability.

You mean the social media wizards that don't even have owner's manuals on their website anymore ? Those are the geniuses that are going to generate [a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9CynvMlFyo"]leads [/a]from this site ?

They'll shutter the brand in another few years with some dumbass rationalization about plywood being an environmentally friendly renewable material or organic or something.

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

fasteddieb

Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost

pinstriper

[quote source="/post/26456/thread" author="@sandroad" timestamp="1481849194"]Yup, copy and paste time. Then I'm going to delete my account. I know the posts will remain, but LL doesn't need my account information once they end it. [/quote]You could click edit on every one of your posts - all 1049 of them - and blank them out. Then change the email associated with your account. I suggest we all use christian's.

Personally, I'd like someone to script this all, so it could crawl the site and replace all my posts with a [a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ7z57qrZU8"] link to this[/a].

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

2014 14DBS
2015 Hobie Outback

david

First I would like to thank Dan Miller of LL, he tried hard and was a lot better than ChristianM in understanding and responding to build issues, even though he was a bit unkind to me once ;-).

I think I will continue to laud LL campers for those who want light weight and minimal (had to say that) water rot and damage. They don't have the value that pre Thor campers had, but still ok for those that value that.

I would love to know how much Thor has saved in build cost for all of the changes that they made. If it were several thousand dollars per unit, then maybe it was a good decision. If it was a thousand dollars or so, then they alienated enough cutomers to easily pay for that.

And my closing thanks go to Sean. He tried valiantly for several years, got us through the pictures crises, but couldn't make LL see the light.

David
David M

16TBS towed with a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder

leslie

I am so sad to read this. I plan to go over to the aluminum campers website as soon as I complete my move to Florida, which should happen on Tuesday. I would really hate to lose contact with any of you, even pinstriper, who has enjoyed pushing my buttons from time to time.

I went to the mini-rally in South Carolina in March 2015, and then my husband and I made it to the PNW Rally this summer. We so enjoyed meeting everybody. I am looking forward to the meetup in Maine this summer.

So, I guess it will be good-bye for now, and hope to catch up with you on the other board. The only bright spot in this is to consider that those if us with pre-Thor campers have collectors items that are practically indestructible, and will hold value as time passes.

So sad, so sad...
Located in Kentucky and Florida at present

pinstriper

[quote timestamp="1481945520" source="/post/26472/thread" author="@leslie"]I am so sad to read this. I plan to go over to the aluminum campers website as soon as I complete my move to Florida, which should happen on Tuesday. I would really hate to lose contact with any of you, even pinstriper, who has enjoyed pushing my buttons from time to time.

I went to the mini-rally in South Carolina in March 2015, and then my husband and I made it to the PNW Rally this summer. We so enjoyed meeting everybody. I am looking forward to the meetup in Maine this summer.

So, I guess it will be good-bye for now, and hope to catch up with you on the other board. The only bright spot in this is to consider that those if us with pre-Thor campers have collectors items that are practically indestructible, and will hold value as time passes.

So sad, so sad...[/quote]I'm gonna miss you too, sweetheart. But there's a time to come and a time to go. 

The time to come has gone, and the time to go has come.

When you are out camping under the glorious night sky, raise a glass and think well of me.

And from time to time, [a href="http://aluminiumcamperforum.com/index.php/topic,193.0.html"]click here[/a].

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

2014 14DBS
2015 Hobie Outback

leslie

I have an idea that the videos I watch on YouTube have nothing in common with the videos that pinstriper watches, although I had a really good laugh at the last one that pinstriper referred.
Located in Kentucky and Florida at present

happyhiker

I would like to add my thanks to Sean, dj and the many active contributors to the forum including david, charlem, pinstriper, fasteddie, gbpackm, mitch,  Merlin, charleschapman, doctorjj  and many others.  I also have to give a shout out to Brenda and Bryce for the information on the gray tank fix because I know I have the same problem, I just haven't fixed it; but now I can.  A lot of useful information on this forum and I am sure going to miss this resource.  

Can't say that I am suprised that Thor is eliminating the forum.  I feared when they made the acquisition that they were going to eventually dumb down and ultimate eliminate the brand.  I hope I am wrong, but there is little evidence for the contrary conclusion.

I will see you all over at Aluminum Camper Forum.  It would sure be nice if we could move this database over there as an archive.