Author Topic: Solar Power / Generator Charger  (Read 1121 times)

promagstyle

Solar Power / Generator Charger
« on: October 26, 2016, 01:39:38 PM »
[p]Hi all, [/p][p]
[/p][p]Just seeing if anyone could recommend a Solar Power / Generator Charger for the Deep Cycle Battery when I'm off grid.[/p][p]
[/p][p]2016 LIVIN LITE COLEMAN 8.0[/p][p]
[/p][p]The Deep Cycle Battery is an Interstate branded one.[/p][p]
[/p][p]I plan to keep the battery charged for at least a duration of 1 year or longer like this, using solar power or solar power generator.[/p][p]
[/p][p]Regards,[/p][p]
[/p][p]Promagstyle[/p][p]
[/p][p]
 [/p]

khughes222

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:53:31 PM »
I use the 15watt solar panel from harbor freight with the harbor freight charge controller. It's kept me charged with everything I've thrown at it within reason.

I would recommend a different controller if I had to do it again. The harbor freight one has cheap solder and it has flaked off the board killing the controller. I have fixed it myself, but if you can't do that, you've been warned.

daplumbr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 02:39:21 PM »
This is a very common question on this forum, so a search with the phrase "solar panels" will turn up lots of results.

You'll need to determine your potential need for electrical power to get a system of the correct capacity. For example, are you just looking to keep the battery charged when not camping, or do you expect to use solar power when camping? If you are going to use solar power when camping, what will you to be powering?

Samlex, Zamp, and Renogy are common brands used in the RV industry if you are looking for complete kits ready to install. Their respective web sites are full of good technical and installation information. 

I use this site for all my solar equipment needs, but there are many others:

https://www.solar-electric.com/marine-rv/rv-marine-solar-panel-kits.html

david

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 03:18:09 PM »
This looks like it will serve your needs either to replace power used while camping or to keep the batteries up in between camping trips- https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-Portable-Folding-Charge-Controller/dp/B00ICE0ES4/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1477505413&sr=8-14&keywords=solar+panel+portable+charger

It is two 50 watt panels that fold out and a 15 amp PWM controller built in. All you have to do is open it up, set it facing the sun and hook up the supplied alligator clips to your battery terminals.

And at a decent price- $209 with Amazon Prime shipping included.

David
David M

16TBS towed with a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder