• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Propane heater in a QS 10

Started by shellee, October 20, 2016, 08:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shellee

I'm sure this has been posted before but how safe are the Mr. Buddy propane heaters. Would you use at night with dogs in the camper. Thanks

mjmoore17

I use a Mr. Buddy with a  chocolate  lab in a QS6. I keep the propane tank (I use a 20#) outside. I put the heater on a table above the floor. I use it at night when necessary, I have camped in the 20's. My dog usually sleeps on the outside edge of bed when heater is used. I do not let her sleep on the floor when heater is used at night. Since QS10 has quite a bit more space, I assume there are other options to separate dog and heater.

On one trip, I brought crate for dog. As a night photographer, I keep her in the camper when I go out to shoot Milky Way. I also used the crate on the floor of camper for her at night with heater. She is an 65 lb. pup so crate is good sized.

admin

I use our Mr. Heater Big Buddy heater with our lab mix and he has free range of the 10.0. I must admit he has cooked a few tail hairs but he learned to give it some room quickly. I have slept with the heater on multiple occasions with no worries but I do take normal precautions such as CO detector and a small air vent. Since the heater has a low O2 shut off and tip over shut off I feel safe with it even around the dog.

charleschapman

I being a bit paranoid would not sleep with this heater on. Too many CO calls as a firefighter. Get a good sleeping bag.

idlerockfarm

I just heated up my 6.0 enough to put on non-smoky sleeping clothes and get into the sleeping bag. Too worried to sleep with it. I will need a dog sweater if I camp
In 29 degrees F again since the dog won't cuddle. He was shaking a bit, but he also kept leaning against the canvas walls. My stubborn Chessie....

mjmoore17

[quote timestamp="1477019233" source="/post/25455/thread" author="@idlerockfarm"]I will need a dog sweater if I camp
In 29 degrees F again since the dog won't cuddle. He was shaking a bit, but he also kept leaning against the canvas walls. My stubborn Chessie....[/quote]I can empathize with that. My 125 lb. Alaskan Malamute was great to sleep with. My chocolate lab wants to climb in the sleeping bag.

admin

Dogs and children are the best heaters in the world!

shellee

Used the big buddy heater to warm up the camper and then used a sunbeam electric heater overnight. That and two australian shepherds was perfect. Dipped to about 28 last night. It gets cold here in Wisconsin??

pinstriper

Quote from: @charleschapman" source="/post/25454/thread" timestamp="1477015047I being a bit paranoid would not sleep with this heater on. Too many CO calls as a firefighter. Get a good sleeping bag.

I think the buddy heaters are catalytic like a ventless fireplace, and not supposed to throw off CO, not sure I would trust that, though. What they will CERTAINLY do is eat up the O2 inside, which is why you still need ventilation to not die.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

swbc150

As long as you provide fresh air for ventilation you will be fine, I leave the roof vents open and fresh air at both windows by leaving a little bit of a opening. I use mine on the really colder nites while on campouts w/no shore power. I use the Furnace 1st to warmup the camper, turn it off, then around 2a.m. I fire up Mr Buddy Heater, on low setting it will run for 5 hrs on a 1Lb Bottle and keeps the inside of my Bearcat Toyhauler warm at 64F.

charleschapman

Quote from: @pinstriper" timestamp="1477179837" source="/post/25486/thread
Quote from: @charleschapman" timestamp="1477015047" source="/post/25454/threadI being a bit paranoid would not sleep with this heater on. Too many CO calls as a firefighter. Get a good sleeping bag.
I think the buddy heaters are catalytic like a ventless fireplace, and not supposed to throw off CO, not sure I would trust that, though. What they will CERTAINLY do is eat up the O2 inside, which is why you still need ventilation to not die.

Pinstripper the Mr. Buddy heaters do produce CO.  A by produce of any open burning is CO.

The Mr. Buddy owners manuel states it produces CO and you must properly vent while using.  If properly used and vented the CO produced is minimual.  

Low O2 (less than 20.9%) environments create incomplete burning causing the CO levels to rise.  The low O2 sensor is designed to shut the heater down in those conditions. 

I just want to clearly state they do produce CO.

Again I am paranoid, have good reasons to be,  and would only use while not sleeping.