Author Topic: Meetup N. Maine in August 2017- Mattawamkeag Wilderness Park  (Read 3527 times)

david

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Meetup N. Maine in August 2017- Mattawamkeag Wilderness Park
« on: September 27, 2016, 01:46:40 PM »
[p]This thread is for the initial organization of a meetup in northern Maine. Ross who has attended the last two northeastern meetups found this campground several months ago. It is Mattawamkeag Wilderness Park (MW), a county park, but is run more like a commercial but rustic campground. It is about 50 miles SE of Baxter State Park, which is a pristine and rustic park, but because they have no hookup facilities and don't allow dogs, isn't really suitable as a meetup site. But we can make day trips there from MW.[/p][p]
[/p][p]I just spoke to Carlton Norris, the campground manager. He said that the park has about 50 sites: 6 along the river have full hookups, another 6 have power and water, another 6 water only, and the rest nothing. Most sites are somewhat secluded except for the river front sites which are open. There is a recreational hall, BBQ pavilion, showers, dump station and laundry facilities. So it has everything that Acadia had plus hookup and facilities. There are hiking trails that lead off directly from the park along the river and into the surrounding wilderness and white water rafting is available close by. Check out their website at [a href="http://www.mwpark.com/"]www.mwpark.com/[/a]. Edit- For some reason this link doesn't work on my pic but does on my iPad, so Google Mattawamkeag Wilderness If it doesn't work for you.[/p][p]
[/p][p]I explored pets with Carlton. He said pets on a leash are fine in the campground. Baxter does not allow pets and apparently you can't even come into the park with one in your car. He had two solutions: he could arrange a pet sitter to check up and walk our pets if we wanted to keep them in our camper. Otherwise there is a day (or night) boarding facility outside of the park that he recommends.[/p][p]
[/p][p]So, could I have an expression of interest for those who would want to meetup there. I propose sometime in August as I know that works for our two NE Canadian members. Post below if you can come, and any blackout dates that don't work for you in August. Once we have an indication of who and when then I will contact Carlton and make a tentative reservation. It is up to you however to make your own final reservation.[/p][p]
[/p][p]David[/p][p]
[/p][p]
[/p]
David M

16TBS towed with a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder

gnies

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 07:03:05 PM »
Hi David, I don't think we'll be able to attend in 2017 because we are expecting a baby we don't know the expected date yet but we think it will be somewhere in May 2017. I don't think it's a good idea to cross the border with a 3 month old baby :)

leslie

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 08:43:40 PM »
Count my husband and me in. We are open as far as the dates are concerned. We have 2 dogs, and they are quite happy to stay in the camper without us for a few hours at a time.
Located in Kentucky and Florida at present

david

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 08:01:31 AM »
Paul and Melanie:

Congratulations! Maybe we will see him/her at the 2018 meetup.

David
David M

gbpack

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 04:05:42 PM »
Since we were not able to attend this year's NE rally, we are really hoping to be able to go next year. Right now, earlier in August would be better for us (rather than later), but then we also know that we'll have a family wedding to attend out in Colorado sometime next year as well (date yet to be determined). So we can proceed with trying to make it out there for your 2017 rally, but may have to back out if the Colorado wedding trip conflicts. As mentioned, right now earlier in August would be preferable to us. Just let us know what the group decides and then we'll see if we can make it. Thanks!
Gregg & Joan

gnies

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 07:41:57 AM »
[quote timestamp="1475060491" source="/post/25017/thread" author="@david"]Paul and Melanie:

Congratulations! Maybe we will see him/her at the 2018 meetup.

David[/quote]Thank you David! That would be doable for the 2018 meetup!

david

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 01:18:54 PM »
OK, we now have four probables attending: me, leslie, gbpack and Ross- I just got a PM from him. So to accommodate gbpack's request, how about the weekend of August 5-6th. We will probably arrive the afternoon of the 4th and leave the morning of the 6th.

So, I will leave this one out there for a day or so for comment and then call Carlton at MW and set it up. Remember, you have to make your own reservations. This time of year Carlton only checks his voicemail and returns calls on Fridays.

David
David M

leslie

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 03:27:30 PM »
I see that group rates are available. We will want to stay for a week with FHU. 1st weekend in August works for us. Just let me know when to make the reservation. My credit card is at the ready.

gbpack

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 04:23:22 PM »
That date works for us as well (again, assuming that the family wedding in Colorado isn't going to be at the same time). Also, I noticed that Merlin had mentioned in an earlier post that they might be able to make it if the 2017 NE meet-up were closer to the middle of August. If that's still the case, then we would be OK doing this a week later (August 12-13), if that helps. Perhaps we should touch base with Merlin regarding this before making a final decision?

daplumbr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 09:01:30 PM »
We're in. We had flirted with the idea of heading to Alaska in '17 and going back out west. That trip will get to wait until '18, so we'll go east and plan on a 2-3 week trip that includes a weekend at the county park (I guess I better learn to spell it!). August 5-6 is ok and afterwards we'll likely go to the coast and spend most of our trip there. The next weekend is ok too. 

leslie

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 10:46:47 PM »
Either weekend works for us. Merlin, it will be good to meet up with you again. Hope you bring your camera.

david

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 11:15:17 AM »
OK, I just advised Carlton, the campground manager that a half dozen of us will be coming August 5-6. This is just a heads up for Carlton Norris, but also for our own internal planning. He starts taking reservations for 2017 after the first of the year.

I realize that they do offer group rates, but my experience in the Acadia meetup where several dropped out at the last minute, makes me leery of this. So please make your own individual reservation.

See you there. I will be starting a message group in 2017 for more specifics for this meetup.

David
David M

gbpack

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 01:02:21 PM »
I am happy to report that we are free and clear to attend next summer! The family wedding in Colorado that we have to attend is later on, so we're good to go for the next meet-up in Maine! Looking forward to it! Hopefully a lot of other LL owners will be able to make it!
Gregg & Joan

leslie

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 09:32:42 PM »
Gregg and Joan, it will be good to see you again! I have marked on my calendar to call for reservations right after the 1st of the year. Will your canine companion be joining you?

gbpack

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 10:53:58 PM »
Yes, Willis is on the list of attendees ? It will be good to see you, your hubby and your dogs, too. We are still so happy that you allowed us to see your camper and that you took so much time with us before we took ownership of our TT! It was a nerve wracking time.
Gregg and I also look forward to putting faces with names/user names of the proposed campers at this meet up!