• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

6.0 12 inch tires

Started by idlerockfarm, September 24, 2016, 03:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idlerockfarm

Again, looking at people over at popupportal talking about tire blowouts had me looking at my trailer.  The tires on mine (a 2016 purchased in late May 2016) say they were manufactured 5-30-12.

I want new tires.  I started reading about the tire discussions on this forum.  Say I want ST or LT tires, I cannot figure out what the width number is for my tires.  They say 80psi max and are load C.  I believe they are bias ply.

I wish I'd been savvy enough in May to say that they needed to give me newer tires.  I'm not the kind of person who wants to keep using them until they have a problem.  I want a clean slate with tires I feel relatively comfortable with.  I will deal with bearings in the spring, but I do plan to put HIGH miles on the trailer next spring and summer going from WI to NM and back with many stops in between.

So the main question:  what is the millimeter width of the tires for the Quicksilver 6.0?
And a secondary question: what tire brand and type would you recommend for safety over high miles?  I probably have less than 1000 lbs w trailer and stuff on those tires (I'll get it weighed loaded sometime soon).

Thank you for any help!  This forum makes owning the Quicksilver manageable.

idlerockfarm

Ha.  5.30-12 IS a size of tire.  Ok.  Live and learn.

My questions about recommendations still stand though.  What replacement would you recommend?

charliem

[font size="3"]See if there is a label on the tongue with tire size and inflation pressure. That will tell you what size the designer recommended. If it is in agreement with the existing 5.30-12 you're good to go. I have no personal experience with the smaller tires, but etrailer.com is a good reputable supplier.

[a href="http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tires_and_Wheels-sf-Tire_Only-gw-5.30%7E12-pc-12_Inch.aspx"]http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tires_and_Wheels-sf-Tire_Only-gw-5.30%7E12-pc-12_Inch.aspx[/a]

Look at the Kenda LR C tires to start. Other 6.0/8.x owners may have additional recommendations. [/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

idlerockfarm

I found the sticker and 5.30 x12 it is.  There are not a lot of options out there.  Kenda LR C is probably what I'll have to get.

daplumbr

Since trailer tires often age out before they wear out, it's a good idea to be able to read the date code. Here's an article by the Tire Rack on how to do that. 

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

idlerockfarm

Moved the whole trailer because driver side tire wasn't showing date. Door side did. 0415. According to the article that is the 4th week of 2015. 

Not too bad, but the dealer said they took it to at least one show. And I have to assume it was parked outside for almost 16 months of UV exposure. [attachment id="1731" thumbnail="1"]

qs601956

I went with  the off road option it has 15" tires and I also got the electric brake option. I was lucky I had a co-worker who strongly recommended that I order the 6.0 with these options. After two trips I can say I am glad we did. Very easy tow love the brakes. Sorry to hear of the problems with the 12" tires. E-trailer is great very helpful.

idlerockfarm

I wish I'd gone off road just for the clearance. I'm going to need some type of ramp for my driveway because my hitch hits the ground when the car is lower than the trailer.