Author Topic: Mattress Upgrade  (Read 1585 times)

campingcarrie

Mattress Upgrade
« on: July 04, 2016, 01:48:02 PM »
Hi All! 

I wanted to share our mattress upgrade we did last week. 

We bought our 2015 8.0 new from the dealer, and upon the first trip, after one night with sore pressure points, we realized we needed to upgrade our mattress situation. We pride ourselves on being heavy sleepers, and have always slept on a pad when tent camping with little problems. Fast forward to a few years later and two kids in tow. We NEED our sleep now  ;)

We tried the memory foam route, but it just wasn't cutting it, so after some research, I spotted on this forum, a link to www.mattressinsider.com. It is an online mattress company that sells RV size (etc.) memory foam mattresses. The best part is they will custom make a mattress in any shape and size for a small additional cost. We measured the mattress that came with the camper (46 x 80) and choose a mattress with a 5.5 in height (it compresses when closed up) 

Here is a link to the mattress we chose: 

https://www.mattressinsider.com/memory-foam-rv-mattresses.html

With tax (and a 5% off coupon) it cost around $350. And WELL worth it! We actually sleep better in the camper than in our own bed at home! And the best part, it fits like a glove in the bed support tray! We are very impressed. 

We upgraded our side, and will do so for the kids side next year. For now we doubled up the stock mattresses with a layer of memory foam, and that will do the trick for the little ones. 

Below are some pictures of the mattress fully expanded in the camper. Also note, the weight is very minimal, so it won't affect the total weight on the supports itself, including two adults. 

[attachment id="1531" thumbnail="1"]
[attachment id="1532" thumbnail="1"]

flemke

Mattress Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 02:28:52 PM »
I am the very happy owner of a QS10 but right off the bat I knew that the original mattress was not going to be enough for me.  I had considered replacement but worried about getting the new thicker mattress to compress enough so the bed frame would seal against the trailer frame.  My solution was a couple of 3" thick thermarest mattresses, they are 30"x77" so they fit the queen side bed perfectly, we can each adjust the firmness with the amount of air we put in each one, like having a sleep number bed.  Not a cheap option at $125 each but I have a thermarest backpacking mattress that's 30 years old and still going strong.  

campingcarrie

Mattress Upgrade
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 03:17:33 PM »
Just another quick note...the 5.5" mattress purchased closed perfectly on the non kitchen side. If we tried it on the kitchen side it didn't close properly. For now the kids are sleeping on the kitchen side with the stock mattress and a foam topper. If we choose to upgrade that side we will need to pick a mattress with a smaller height. 

shake973

• View Profile
Mattress Upgrade
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 11:53:22 PM »
How much does it weigh?

mtnbikr

Mattress Upgrade
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 05:32:31 PM »
I finally have our mattress woes cured in our 8.0 and I couldn't be happier.  I bought some high density 2" foam to fill the box/frame and this alone is worlds better than the stock mattress. Then we put an Exped 10 Duo (http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/megamat-duo-10) on top of this. The bed won't close up with it on there, but it is an easy mat to blow up (pump included) and compress.  Super, super comfortable now!

boppert1

Mattress Upgrade
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 02:05:26 PM »
Carrie that looks great - I'm a little jealous as we actually looked at those but the wife couldn't justify spending $350.  We ended up getting a truck mattress for our side and just put both stock mattresses together for the kids.  The only truck mattress we found however was 48" wide so it hangs over the hinge a bit but that works for me as now I don't scrape my legs getting in and out of bed.  As for storage/transport, we put the bench pads under the table and laid the new mattress across the top.  The 2 stock mattresses go in their original places in the bed trays.  Folds like a charm.

mjmoore17

Mattress Upgrade
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 05:49:33 PM »
Quote from: @boppert1" timestamp="1473440726" source="/post/24494/thread
Carrie that looks great - I'm a little jealous as we actually looked at those but the wife couldn't justify spending $350.  We ended up getting a truck mattress for our side and just put both stock mattresses together for the kids.  The only truck mattress we found however was 48" wide so it hangs over the hinge a bit but that works for me as now I don't scrape my legs getting in and out of bed.  As for storage/transport, we put the bench pads under the table and laid the new mattress across the top.  The 2 stock mattresses go in their original places in the bed trays.  Folds like a charm.
The other advantage to the overhang is that you do not get that instant freeze when exiting on a cold morning. I hate that. 

robsweet

Mattress Upgrade
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 01:25:02 PM »
Anybody know if the mattress fit (does the popup close?) is any different for an 8.1 versus the 8.0?  I just bought a 2015 8.1 and I'm thinking about this mattress:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B6GVLJA/ref=crt_ewc_img_srh_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1VXHRG3MI1835  My two concerns are whether the top will close and if it will, whether the mattress will be compressed to the point that it screws up the mattress if stored that way.

Thoughts?

charleschapman

Mattress Upgrade
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 02:17:53 PM »
Quote from: @campingcarrie" source="/post/22745/thread" timestamp="1467650882
Hi All! 

I wanted to share our mattress upgrade we did last week. 

We bought our 2015 8.0 new from the dealer, and upon the first trip, after one night with sore pressure points, we realized we needed to upgrade our mattress situation. We pride ourselves on being heavy sleepers, and have always slept on a pad when tent camping with little problems. Fast forward to a few years later and two kids in tow. We NEED our sleep now  ;)  

We tried the memory foam route, but it just wasn't cutting it, so after some research, I spotted on this forum, a link to www.mattressinsider.com. It is an online mattress company that sells RV size (etc.) memory foam mattresses. The best part is they will custom make a mattress in any shape and size for a small additional cost. We measured the mattress that came with the camper (46 x 80) and choose a mattress with a 5.5 in height (it compresses when closed up) 

Here is a link to the mattress we chose: 

https://www.mattressinsider.com/memory-foam-rv-mattresses.html

With tax (and a 5% off coupon) it cost around $350. And WELL worth it! We actually sleep better in the camper than in our own bed at home! And the best part, it fits like a glove in the bed support tray! We are very impressed. 

We upgraded our side, and will do so for the kids side next year. For now we doubled up the stock mattresses with a layer of memory foam, and that will do the trick for the little ones. 

Below are some pictures of the mattress fully expanded in the camper. Also note, the weight is very minimal, so it won't affect the total weight on the supports itself, including two adults. 

We got our mattress from Mattress Insider on Thursday and camped this weekend.  Both the wife and I are very pleased with the upgraded mattress. Quick fast service.  Woke up without any of the aches or pains of the stock thin mattress.  Well worth the price <http://www.mattressinsider.com/luxury-rv-mattress-memory-foam.html> 

catmanriff

Mattress Upgrade
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 03:01:29 PM »
I found a mattress similar to the Mattress insider one, on Amazon. It has the dual type memory foam, a layer of stiff blue foam and then about 4 inches of firm foam. It's great! $200.

fit perfectly into the QS10 bed pan area with minimal gaps around

charleschapman

Mattress Upgrade
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 11:22:08 AM »
When we had a 6.0 we put a foam topper that we picked up at Sams that did the trick.  When we got our CL 16 TBS we went with rvmattress and they did an excellent job especially with the unique set up of the Twin/King configuration of this camper.  This camper allows you to have a larger bed that allows you to get in and out of bed without climbing over anyone.  Not a problem in your 20s/30/40s but we are in our late fifties and we do not move like we used too.  Happy Trails!

redbox15

Mattress Upgrade
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 09:21:44 PM »
We didn't have time before we left on our 3mo trip around USA so we put a nice queen air mattress on top of bed with a foam pad on top. This system was around $60.00 and to our supersize was the answer. After the long trip we decided that this system is the way to go, Light wight very comfortable and stores away easy when in storage.