Author Topic: Stop Bimini Poles from Rubbing Black Marks on Canvas?  (Read 2441 times)

offroadgirl

Stop Bimini Poles from Rubbing Black Marks on Canvas?
« on: March 20, 2016, 06:53:53 PM »
Hi all, just getting ready for another Colorado summer in my QS 8.1 and I'm hoping to find a way to stop all of the black marks all over the inside of the canvas from the Bimini poles.  It happens during transport and how the trailer is folded down.  Is there something I can put on the poles to stop it?  Thanks!

stevesanders

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 08:59:07 PM »
Since the poles are steel, you should be able to have them powder coated.  Spray paint might work, but powder coating is really durable.

husaberger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 01:06:39 AM »
[quote source="/post/19730/thread" author="@stevesanders" timestamp="1458518347"]Since the poles are steel, you should be able to have them powder coated.  Spray paint might work, but powder coating is really durable.[/quote]Which requires a full tear down of the poles to be sent out for powder coating.

I think some people are reluctant to do that.,, but powder coating is very durable. It adds some thickness so make sure you tape off the bottom portions of the poles, so they will fit back in the holders when you get em back from the painters. 

stevesanders

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 07:20:59 AM »
[quote timestamp="1458533199" source="/post/19738/thread" author="@clyde"][quote timestamp="1458518347" author="@stevesanders" source="/post/19730/thread"]Since the poles are steel, you should be able to have them powder coated.  Spray paint might work, but powder coating is really durable.[/quote]Which requires a full tear down of the poles to be sent out for powder coating.

I think some people are reluctant to do that.,, but powder coating is very durable. It adds some thickness so make sure you tape off the bottom portions of the poles, so they will fit back in the holders when you get em back from the painters. 
[/quote]Although "full teardown" could be one way to desceibe it, there's just one screw on each end of the bimmi poles and some velcro.  I don't think i twould be that difficult.

I would leave the "holders" in place on each end of the bimmis and wrap them with masking tape.  Attaching a tag to each one to identify which location it came from would probably help for reassembly.

chuck893

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:10:10 AM »
[quote source="/post/19728/thread" timestamp="1458510833" author="@offroadgirl"]Hi all, just getting ready for another Colorado summer in my QS 8.1 and I'm hoping to find a way to stop all of the black marks all over the inside of the canvas from the Bimini poles.  It happens during transport and how the trailer is folded down.  Is there something I can put on the poles to stop it?  Thanks![/quote]I know you hate it (my wife hates it) but our tent is now going into its 7th season and we just ignore it (well, I ignore it  :D ). My take has always been that so long as it is not mold it's just cosmetic and a minor nuisance. There seems not to be any product that will take the marks off. (There might be but I'd be reluctant to use it as it might harm the canvas and the waterproofing.) I suspect that powder coating would likely be vastly expensive, and unless there is a safe way to remove the existing marks they will remain. The marks do get a little worse, but they eventually reach a stage where they are just...there.  :|
Chuck Haacker, Madison, Wisconsin
Proud owner of "Rose," 2010 QS 8.1, VERY heavily used (not a "weekender" at all), holding up GREAT!
Rosie has her own massive album of pictures on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/43619751@N06/21cN3M

peislander

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 03:40:28 PM »
I've put on my thinking cap - to try and think outside the box. Most people are probably familiar with heat-shrink tubing used to protect wiring splices etc. I wonder if that same tubing is available in larger than typical diameters? If it was you could slip a tube of the plastic over the steel framing tube and then use a heat gun to shrink it nice'n tight. I suppose alternatively you could get some electrical tape & wrap the frame. They are now making electrical tape in many colours so you could have nice pink Bimini poles. There's also the option of just spraying them with a can of Tremclad. Again you could have them pink if you want...

thudd3r

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 12:22:20 AM »
i have seen 2:1 and 4:1 heat shrink in diameters all the way up to 2"

not exactly cheap (maybe $75 for a 50' roll), but some time with a pair of scissors and a heat gun and you would be all set.  you may not find it in pink though  :P  

offroadgirl

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 01:05:33 PM »
I'll research heat-shrink tubing -- thanks, all!

offroadgirl

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
It looks like they make it for fishing rods, which should be about the same diameter as the biminis: http://www.mudhole.com/Colored-Heat-Shrink-Grip-Material
Tons of options here: http://heatshrinktubing.net

Next question: does anyone know the total length of the biminis in a QS 8.1, roughly, so I can estimate how much this would cost?  I assume it's fairly straightforward to remove the connection at one end so I can slip the tubing on, right?

Thanks!

sandyu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 05:39:09 PM »
Thanks for the update! Maybe hit the same spot again and see if anymore comes off.  Where did you buy your polish by the way?

offroadgirl

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 12:23:29 AM »
[quote timestamp="1459969017" author="Imaginer697" source="/post/20284/thread"][div][/div]I just cleaned my poles with Wright's Silver Cream ($4.00) and the white t-shirt I started with is now black. I will not know for sure whether it cured the problem until I close it up and use it, but I believe it has to help. [/quote]Awesome, keep us posted!

sandyu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 05:49:19 PM »
Nice, I'm going to do this when I get a chance.

Now how do I get the old marks off?

admin

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 08:17:37 AM »
I'm sure duct tape would work but come summertime the adhesive would probably melt and cause more issues.

imaginer697

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 07:16:38 PM »
Cleaning he poles with silver polish worked very well. I could immediately tell where I missed because there was a corresponding black mark on the canvass. Also, if you do this, remember to clean the top of the divider between the sink and bench seat. I did not think of cleaning that and have two parallel black lines on the roof.

sandyu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 09:23:26 AM »
Yep