• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Cargo Rack

Started by gawin, March 17, 2016, 02:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawin

My first mod of the seasom. I don't like brining my generator in the car as it stinks. This project costs just 110.00 not to bad. I only had to remove the center marking light. 

Yes it does tip down a bit. That is beach the bar it a bit thin for the receiver hitch. I will be putting in shims to level it and stop and shaking. 

billmoore

I'd be a bit worried about the weight of that generator hanging out there bending your rear bumper. Especially with the forces from traveling down the road, hitting potholes etc. I think you need to have some reinforcement welded in near the receiver tube attachment point and extending back up under the trailer.

charliem

[font size="3"]I absolutely agree, you're headed for trouble. You need to beef up that bumper if you want to carry that weight. See this this thread, particularly the inputs from Sean on his QS10:

[a href="http://www.livinlite-owners.com/thread/1892/caution-rear-bumper-enhancement-etc"]http://www.livinlite-owners.com/thread/1892/caution-rear-bumper-enhancement-etc[/a]
[/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

tinkeringtechie

I agree with both Bill and Charlie, but also consider that you're adding weight to your rig while reducing the tongue weight. I'd bet every pound you add to that rack is a pound off of your tongue, which reduces stability. I'd prefer to put the genny on the tongue if your tow vehicle can take the weight.
2014 Camplite 21BHS

2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD 5.7L

charliem

[quote timestamp="1458244461" author="@tinkeringtechie" source="/post/19627/thread"]I agree with both Bill and Charlie, but also consider that you're adding weight to your rig while reducing the tongue weight. I'd bet every pound you add to that rack is a pound off of your tongue, which reduces stability. I'd prefer to put the genny on the tongue if your tow vehicle can take the weight.[/quote][font size="3"]Excellent point with that short wheelbase.  ??? [/font]

Charlie
NW Florida

drdave

I agree that's a lot of weight for an unreenforced bumper.  Empty the gas out of your generator and put it inside your trailer, put your camping chairs and light stuff like that in your cargo rack.   also, this way you don't have to worry about that nice generator growing legs while you are parked at the rest area.

I never put more than a couple of bikes using this method:

http://livinlite-owners.com/post/5355

I would not have trusted a generator using this method, but felt comfortable with <50 lbs of mountian bike.   

gawin

[quote timestamp="1458259079" author="@tlbones" source="/post/19630/thread"]

I would not have trusted a generator using this method, but felt comfortable with <50 lbs of mountian bike.   [/quote]The generator weighs 42 lbs full of fuel.

you seem to think it is very heavy. I weigh 235 and could stand in the rack with out flexing the bumper or lifting the tongue off the ground. The camper is still quite tongue heavy.

a bunch of chairs and junk/cooler would weigh more than this.

drdave

[quote timestamp="1458356572" source="/post/19683/thread" author="@gawin"][quote timestamp="1458259079" source="/post/19630/thread" author="@tlbones"]I would not have trusted a generator using this method, but felt comfortable with <50 lbs of mountian bike.   [/quote]The generator weighs 42 lbs full of fuel.

you seem to think it is very heavy. I weigh 235 and could stand in the rack with out flexing the bumper or lifting the tongue off the ground. The camper is still quite tongue heavy.

a bunch of chairs and junk/cooler would weigh more than this.
[/quote]Understand.    I haven't heard of any LL bumper failures on here or anywhere else if that's any comfort.    My actions have been based on the dire warnings of others on here.   If you google you can find pictures of cheapo steel trailer bumpers that have failed having been welded onto I beam frames rather than fully boxed frames.     Another idea to reenforce the bumper could be using something like this on the top and bottom of the bumper on each side where it joins the frame:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-in-x-5-in-Zinc-Plated-T-Plate-15068/202034097      Or....just camp on....

Question:  Is that the Harbor Freight rack?   Is it nice?

debiski

I'd love to be able to put a rack like this on the back of our QS 8, since we do not have the optional rear deck. Since many of you think this would not hold a generator safely, about how much weight do you think WOULD be safe for this type of rack WITHOUT beefing up the bumper? We don't use a generator and I was thinking of using the add-on rack for a few Rubbermaid type totes to store miscellaneous supplies like blankets, clothing or other lightweight things that take up room in the camper so we can have more room inside for lawnchairs and heavier stuff.

With no reinforcement and only the 2x4 bolt on hitch, how much weight do you think it would be safe to add? And how heavy of a rack should I be looking at? We keep our camper in the garage and would not have been able to fit it in there with a permanent rear deck so this would be a great solution for us since we could just remove the rack when parking it in there.

**edit: after posting this I looked online at a few aluminum racks and see most of them weigh between 30-40 lbs, so that answers one of my questions. I'm still unsure of how much weight I'd be able to put SAFELY onto the rack though.

mjmoore17

Debiski 

Have you looked at Sean's set-up. It should be a little more sturdy and I think would solve your weight problem. It is found here:  http://www.livinthelitelife.com/2016/02/adding-a-rear-2-receiver/

Michael

debiski

Yes I saw Sean's video but I was hoping to avoid welding (or paying someone to do it).

charliem

[quote source="/post/21052/thread" author="Moon2k" timestamp="1462586804"][div][/div][div][/div][div][/div]I called and asked LivinLite if they would do an aftermarket deck add on and was told no. I have a plan for adding the deck that would foresee-ably not need to use welding and would be removable for garage storage. If you cut off the existing bumper at the mid-point of the two 2x6 rectangular aluminum tubes that attach it and also the wire to the signal/stop lamps you could then add a deck extension between them. You would need to add quick connects and a wire extension for the wiring then on each terminal end of the existing 2x6's a telescoping connector that would fit inside snugly allowing you to connect the extension. 

It might look like this...  []==---===========---==[][____________

The equals marks represent the current 2x6 rectangular attachments, the ---- lines represent the stanchions that would fit inside the existing 2x6's and support the deck. You could put a lock bolt through each of them. The decking is easy to come by to span the new 2x6 extensions and could simply be attached with rivets....  

Long story short... I want a rear deck to keep my bikes and gear out of the wind. OK engineers, what's your thoughts?[/quote][font size="3"]First, assuming you are looking at one of the QSs, the frame members are 2x3", not 2x6". I don't see any way to extend them by bolting onto or inserting into the ends. Anything you might insert or telescope into the ends would probably tear and split the frame tubing. Any bolt on solution would have to reach way up front along the frame and utilize a robust bolting system of plates and internal fillers to prevent compressing the frame tubes. As such it would be essentially permanent. The only non factory add on so far is Sean's method, [a href="http://www.livinthelitelife.com/2016/02/adding-a-rear-2-receiver/"]http://www.livinthelitelife.com/2016/02/adding-a-rear-2-receiver/[/a], and does require aluminum welding, including the way he accommodated the 2x3 to 2x4 transition. The light wiring remains fixed. Removable shelves and racks can be added using 2" receiver hardware. The only modification to Sean's solution I might suggest is using two receivers, left and right, for a more stable shelf or basket. [/font]

Charlie
NW Florida

admin

I agree with @Charliem 100% I just didn't want to go into an in depth reply on my phone so I'm glad he did :)

mtnbikr

How about this?  :)

mtnbikr

The problem with hanging anything off the bumper is that the bumper itself is 2x4 and the frame tubes are 2x3 and when welded together at the bumper, the bottom of the frame tube hits the middle of the 2x4 bumper tube.  Obviously with weight hanging out in space, you have the lever effect and all that weight is concentrated on two 2" wide welds in the middle of the 1/8" wall thickness of the 2x4 bumper. 40 pounds doesn't seem like much until your frame buckles the wall of the bumper tube and you lose your stuff and your bumper at 75mph on the interstate.  In my opinion, eventually you are asking for trouble.....ask me how I know all this?

I didn't put that much weight on rev1 of my design either and I just about lost my bumper after a fairly mild trek through some dirt roads up into the mountains. I had some emergency welding done with some gussets to strengthen this and it worked for a little while, but it was still not a great solution and the other bumper welds started showing cracks from the bouncing.

In the new and improved version, I would bet both of my legs that it will never go anywhere.  I cut off the bumper, cut the lighting wires inside both frame rails and then welded two new 7' 2x3 tubes under the trailer that stuck out about 2'.  I then welded 2 two foot long 2x3 tubes onto the original frame rails to house the bumper lighting wires, clean up the look and provide minimal extra strength.  I extended the wires, pushed them through the new tube extensions, welded the bumper back in place and then welded by aluminum basket back on top. It is strong enough now that it could likely lift the back wheels of the tow vehicle off the ground with enough weight in it!