• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

6.0 bed system

Started by gawin, February 28, 2016, 09:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawin

Is there a way to convert the bed from the U shaped level bar into a stile that is attached to the camper with bars? The U shaped bar is fine if you are in an area that is fairly level but if you are on uneven ground the options are very limited for the U. Oddly enough where it happens the most is where the ground is higher on the bed side and you cant lower it enough.

I see almost all the other campers use a bar system that attaches to the camper. Can this system be retro fit to a 6.0?

Thanks

Paul

admin

Hey @gawin, are you thinking about doing the retrofit as an aftermarket idea? Personally I would think it should be an easy mod to make with a little handyman type skills. The bar system is just a couple of C style attachment points and the proper length bar pinned in. As I think about it, I'm almost certain at least the lower brackets are bolted in. The only catch would be the tonneau while closed, I assume you would have enough slack in the cover to allow for the extra inch or so of height near the edge while closed. If not you'd have to see if that could be worked around.

-Sean

alf

[quote timestamp="1456709240" source="/post/19039/thread" author="@gawin"]Is there a way to convert the bed from the U shaped level bar into a stile that is attached to the camper with bars? The U shaped bar is fine if you are in an area that is fairly level but if you are on uneven ground the options are very limited for the U. Oddly enough where it happens the most is where the ground is higher on the bed side and you cant lower it enough.

I see almost all the other campers use a bar system that attaches to the camper. Can this system be retro fit to a 6.0?

Thanks

Paul
[/quote]The [a href="https://www.livinlite.com/products/jeep-tent-campers/extreme-edition.html"]Jeep version of the 6.0[/a] has separate legs supporting the bed. Looks like a nice upgrade to me!

idlerockfarm

I end up having to put stuff under one side or another of the U bar on many trips.  I hadn't thought about a retrofit.  It is easier for me to have the bunk end rest on the U than thinking about attaching bars.

mjmoore17

[quote timestamp="1474904068" author="@idlerockfarm" source="/post/24976/thread"]I end up having to put stuff under one side or another of the U bar on many trips.  I hadn't thought about a retrofit.  It is easier for me to have the bunk end rest on the U than thinking about attaching bars.[/quote]I agree with Idlerockfarm. The "U" shape also helps with setting it up or take down with one person. Other than a subjective feel about too much weight, are there any objective reflections. Has anyone has their 6.0 collapse? I know that I have had two people in the bed, off-road that each weigh over 220 lbs. never a problem.
I agree that on occasion I have had to put a piece of wood or a rock under a side of the support while off-road but never seemed unstable or a problem.

michael

Never had a problem with the u-shaped support on my 6.0.  There were a few times I was on ground that wasn't level, but I just made adjustments on the support accordingly.  I also always attached the square aluminum "feet" to the bottom of the support.