• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Tire size changes on Camplites

Started by oleo, January 19, 2016, 12:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charliem

[quote source="/post/18227/thread" timestamp="1454336675" author="@aggie79"]Charlie,

If I was smart enough, I could do the math, but I'm guessing that there is about a 30-45 degree limit on rotation.  It depends on the start angle, but there is about 3" of vertical travel on the Torflex from "unloaded" to "shock" condition.  When the Toflex axle is loaded to its design specification, there is about a 1" drop, leaving the remaining 2" of travel for suspension loads.

I found this YouTube video that shows a cross-section of the axle and how it works:

[/quote][font size="3"]Aggie79,

Thanks a lot. Pretty much exactly as you described it. BTW, 1966 was a fair year for the Mustangs: 8W/3L and we beat A&M, but they did let me out!  8-|     BSEE SMU'66. [/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

leslie

Off-thread - 1966, June - husband graduated BSEE Lafayette College, we got married, and he got drafted while we were on our honeymoon!
Located in Kentucky and Florida at present

charliem

Quote from: @leslie" source="/post/18241/thread" timestamp="1454351912Off-thread - 1966, June - husband graduated BSEE Lafayette College, we got married, and he got drafted while we were on our honeymoon!
Two wins, one loss. You take what you can get....................

Charlie
NW Florida

scbillandjane

One caution that not all owners might know. I had the same type axle on a previous camper. I bought the trailer used with tires that needed immediate replacement due to age. On that trailer's forum there was a warning not to raise the trailer using the axles but to place the jack under the frame. The forum said the jack could bend the axle. I went to a national chain tire store. The employee rolled out the portable jack straight under the axle. I was able to stop him before any damage was done. I don't know positively if damage will occur, but I will err on the side of caution.

charliem

[font size="3"]A great cautionary note. I had the same premonition and have already resolved to keep a sharp 100% eyeball surveillance on any such service/tire shops. If not a camper shop you know it's going to happen. That axle tube is not very strong. 
[/font]

Charlie
NW Florida

gbpack

Guys - Just want to clear up some of the confusion surrounding the change in the wheel size on some CL models. I was talking to one of the salespeople at the LL factory today and found out that the dual axle trailers WILL NOT have 15" wheels after all (regardless of what may be up in their website right now). While that was the plan initially,  they decided not to go forward with that because of all the structural changes that would have to be made to the frame around the wheel well area. They will be correcting the website shortly, but the bottom line is that all dual axle trailers will continue to have 14" wheels. Only the single axle trailers will have the 15" wheels. We didn't get into a discussion regarding the axles that are going to be used with the 15" wheels, so I can't comment on that. Hope this clears up a few things. I told him that they really have a lot of conflicting information out there and that all of their flip-flopping on this and all of the documented changes that have been discussed on other threads, have really got everyone confused and frustrated. He acknowledged that there has been a lot going on lately and that they need to do a better job of internal coordination and communication via their website.

daplumbr