• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

Can we create a PDI Check list for LivinLite campers?

Started by funpilot, July 22, 2014, 10:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

funpilot

[p]As a starting point, I found these two attached general check lists.[/p][p]
[/p][p]I would add:[/p][p]Check your personal list of factory added options[/p][p]Are tires on a recall list?[/p][p]
[/p][p]
[/p][p]What would you add or delete?  If there is interest to this, there are clearly very skilled contributors here to take the lead on this, so please step up if you want to.  [/p][p]
[/p]

leslie

I am about ready to place an order for a Camplite 21-BHS. I would be very interested to see what present Campliters say needs to be on this checklist.
Located in Kentucky and Florida at present

tinkeringtechie

I just glanced through the list and it looks pretty thorough. A bit TOO thorough actually... It would take quite a long time to go through all of this. But if you have the time and patience, it would help a lot with catching all issues before you leave the dealer.
2014 Camplite 21BHS

2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD 5.7L

funpilot

My take as well.   Are you bored enough to come up with a more practical list for our products?   One other use for this check list could be to share it with LL folks as I am sure if we all actually get involved, it could be the basis for them to know what they are missing that we find later.  That way, they can do it right the first time...

tinkeringtechie

I think it might be useful to come up with a list of issues that are more likely with LL vs other manufacturers. Here's the first thing that was on my list:

Check the fit and function of every door and window. That means all cabinets, storage compartments, main door, screen door.

Because of the tight tolerances and relatively custom nature of the doors, there's a greater chance they might not line up perfectly and it's not easy (sometimes impossible) to adjust. If there's some caulking missing or something is loose it's very easy to fix, but a stuck door could possibly need to be replaced entirely. They probably won't have spares at the dealer, but make sure it's noted so they can order it for you.

Another thing that I missed at the PDI that I fixed myself was the hinge/support for the counter extension. It didn't fold all the way down at the dealer and I didn't think anything of it, but on further inspection at home one of the brackets was crooked. It was pretty easy to fix, but should have been caught at the dealer.
2014 Camplite 21BHS

2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD 5.7L

funpilot

[quote source="/post/2114/thread" timestamp="1406052416" author="@tinkeringtechie"]I think it might be useful to come up with a list of issues that are more likely with LL vs other manufacturers. Here's the first thing that was on my list:

Check the fit and function of every door and window. That means all cabinets, storage compartments, main door, screen door.

Because of the tight tolerances and relatively custom nature of the doors, there's a greater chance they might not line up perfectly and it's not easy (sometimes impossible) to adjust. If there's some caulking missing or something is loose it's very easy to fix, but a stuck door could possibly need to be replaced entirely. They probably won't have spares at the dealer, but make sure it's noted so they can order it for you.

Another thing that I missed at the PDI that I fixed myself was the hinge/support for the counter extension. It didn't fold all the way down at the dealer and I didn't think anything of it, but on further inspection at home one of the brackets was crooked. It was pretty easy to fix, but should have been caught at the dealer.[/quote][p]Ok, I went through and tried to catalogue the issues on the campers from what was posted in the forums.  I know nothing about those with tents so please fee free to add those to the list plus items I missed.  Remember, this is for a pre-purchase inspection, not for repairs after you have used it.  [/p][p]
[/p][p]1.   Check door for seal issues, check non-moving plastic piece for bowing/fit issues.
2.   Check opening of door to be sure that it does not tear awning when it is opened and that awning retraction bar does not go over a window.
3.   Check windows to see that they are level, seals are ok and spray with hose to check for water tightness.
4.   Check wood trim around slide out inside the trailer.
5.   Check outside seals in slide out and spray water on leading edge to check for leakage
6.   Check tv booster switch to see if it is properly wired and check tv for tilting and picture
7.   Check shower to see if it leaks off the edges to the floor
8.   Fill tanks, check water heater with propane, electric, both and test
9.   Check all plumbing fixtures to be sure they are tight.
10.   Check sofa bed support, open and close it several time and sit on it to be sure all is well.
11.   Check refrigerator on shore power and electric.  Have them start it the day before.
12.   Check stove light
13.   Check black water restraint strap.
14.   Check tires for recall and blemishes
15.   Check all windows and cabinet latches for operation. 
16.   Check all seams for caulking issues, whether the black weather stripping is missing,  and use a hose to test on roof and sides.
17.   Check countertop laminate
18.   Ask if there is a way to use sacrificial zinc on the trailer
19.   Check trailer light wiring.
20.   Check vent cover for holes and caulking.
21.   Check deadbolt  lock for sticking.

[/p]

funpilot

Ahh, I see I missed 1 of Tinkers items:

22. Check hinge support on counter extension.

leslie

Excellent list. I have been making my own list, but I am not as far along with it as funpilot. I have 3 things on my list so far that I don't see here.

I plan to run my fingers around windows, doors, and seams to see if things are installed and caulked properly.

I plan to lie down on my back on the ground to look underneath the camper for loose wires, or for anything else that might look out of place.

Inside my camper, raise all of the privacy shades and check to see if any daylight comes in from around doors, windows, etc.
Located in Kentucky and Florida at present

funpilot

[quote source="/post/2781/thread" timestamp="1408475858" author="@leslie"]Excellent list. I have been making my own list, but I am not as far along with it as funpilot. I have 3 things on my list so far that I don't see here.

I plan to run my fingers around windows, doors, and seams to see if things are installed and caulked properly.

I plan to lie down on my back on the ground to look underneath the camper for loose wires, or for anything else that might look out of place.

Inside my camper, raise all of the privacy shades and check to see if any daylight comes in from around doors, windows, etc.[/quote]I have updated the check list based on recent feedback and have it as a word document link.

admin

Quote from: @funpilot" source="/post/2932/thread" timestamp="1408983357[quote source="/post/2781/thread" timestamp="1408475858" author="@leslie"]Excellent list. I have been making my own list, but I am not as far along with it as funpilot. I have 3 things on my list so far that I don't see here.

Inside my camper, raise all of the privacy shades and check to see if any daylight comes in from around doors, windows, etc.
I have updated the check list based on recent feedback and have it as a word document link.
[/quote]

If you want to keep this updated as needed I think this is sticky worthy. Thoughts?

djsamuel

[quote source="/post/2933/thread" timestamp="1408990219" author="@admin"]

[quote source="/post/2932/thread" timestamp="1408983357" author="@funpilot"]

I have updated the check list based on recent feedback and have it as a word document link.

[/quote]
If you want to keep this updated as needed I think this is sticky worthy. Thoughts?

[/quote]
Sounds like a good idea.

Edit:  Done.  If need be, we can remove it, but this is a pretty critical point with a camper, so I agree it is good to keep at the top.

Camplite 21BHS / Ram 1500

Central Florida

funpilot

Will be adding "Check cable picture quality on TV" in next update based on recent posts.

pinstriper

[quote source="/post/2110/thread" timestamp="1406048725" author="@tinkeringtechie"]I just glanced through the list and it looks pretty thorough. A bit TOO thorough actually... It would take quite a long time to go through all of this. But if you have the time and patience, it would help a lot with catching all issues before you leave the dealer.[/quote][p]I agree about this being too thorough for a PDI. You aren't getting a tech for 4 hours.[/p][p]
[/p][p]But it is an excellent list of things to be checked right away, before or during your first shakedown cruise, even if that only takes place in your driveway.[/p][p]
[/p][p]For those that are real far away from their dealer, I would say book a campground real nearby or just find a big box store parking lot near the dealer for your shakedown. This way you can return it right away to the dealer for repair.[/p][p]
[/p][p]Be advised, repairs requiring parts will likely take several weeks before LL gets the part sent, then you have freight time before your dealer even has the opportunity to make the fix. Not everything that is found needs to be fixed before you can use the rig, so if you are like us and picked up during camping season, decide for each one whether you need it fixed right away or whether you can take and use the unit while waiting for parts to show up.[/p][p]
[/p][p]
[/p]
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

funpilot

I bring one burden to this particular thread and that is that I am also an attorney. So, my purchasing paranoia may be higher than normal.

Pin, I think Tink was referring to the initial extensive list I first posted that I downloaded from another website.  Believe it or not, the Word document is MUCH shorter and it is suppose to be a list of stuff posters here have actually experienced as problems (thus need to be checked), but that does not mean I have not created too long a one anyway.  

In my case though, if I have not checked out what is reasonable to do before signing off, I will not accept delivery until I am able to do so. I have sent this list to the dealer to see their response so will let you know how they feel. For example, I would be quite comfortable with them saying "they will do these items and that I have to do the other ones" so long as there is a way to test it at the dealership.  So, if they cannot give me the ability to plug into shore power to check items associated with that, I go home as I will not accept it with not being able to do that. (I know that will not be the case, but only easy example I could think of.)

The dealer has already suggested that I use the nearby KOA for the stuff one can only find when you actually use it.  For me there is a difference between fixing a simple thing and accepting a poor quality product.  I would not accept some of the issues members here have posted on if I spot them in the inspection phase.  I can only hope that with all the direct contact I have had with LL, they already know how fussy I can be and have smartly made sure things should be fine.  Rest assured, I will let everyone know if that is not the case.

As for how long repairs can take, I do agree with your experience.  It is precisely for that reason, I do not want to close the deal until all known upfront issues that need to be fixed are as the only leverage I have is that I have not yet paid for it. The longer they take, the longer they do not get paid.  

idaholover

I might add to check for the spare tire. Our first Camplite had none. Two years later we upgraded to a 16 RDB with larger wheels (15 inch) and after closer inspection the spare was 14 inches. The dealer had the correct tire delivered to our home from Livin Lite.