• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.
 

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Hot Water Tank - What is this?

Started by thedusty, November 23, 2016, 09:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedusty

I'm working on winterizing for the first time.  I undid the hot water heater valve to drain it. When I pulled it out, I found this....see pics. I just bought this 21BHS in February, so is this normal or have I somehow ruined it?  :-/   Thank you for the help...





kycamper

Your anode rod looks fine to me!! Replace it when it wears out a lot more. It is a sacrificial rod that saves the inside of your water tank. Google it!!
B.T.W.......getting it back in is the trick!!!! Just take your time

daplumbr

This is what a new one looks like. For only $13, I'd just slip in a new one with some teflon thread tape on the threads. If you can, run a hose in the hole to flush out the gunk before you put one back in. I put in a new one every year when I winterize. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VAYRNM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1



thedusty

Thanks guys...

I'll flush it out and I'm ordering a new one just in case.

I've been out of touch since we've moved across country and getting situated. You guys are always so helpful...

pinstriper

I feel you guys let him off the hook a little fast, there.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

charleschapman

Might want to add this to your water supply too:[a href=""] https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40043-TastePURE-Flexible-Protector/dp/B0006IX87S[/a][span style="white-space:pre-wrap;font-size:10pt;"][/span]


thedusty

Quote from: @charleschapman" source="/post/26047/thread" timestamp="1479995464Might want to add this to your water supply too:[a href=""] https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40043-TastePURE-Flexible-Protector/dp/B0006IX87S[/a][span style="white-space:pre-wrap;font-size:10pt;"][/span]



Thank you. I have actually been using one of those since day one...  

I went to google and read more on how hot water heaters work and why the anodes build up like that. I was unaware that they all did electrolysis to save the tank walls.

diversteve

I agree with Pin. We should have had a little fun with this. :P

charliem

Quote from: @diversteve" source="/post/26051/thread" timestamp="1480009952I agree with Pin. We should have had a little fun with this. :P  
[font size="3"]After I just sent LL a long 'gram on how friendly we were and how helpful our advice was??  :-S [/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

thedusty

Quote from: @charliem" source="/post/26052/thread" timestamp="1480016738[quote timestamp="1480009952" source="/post/26051/thread" author="@diversteve"]I agree with Pin. We should have had a little fun with this. :P  
[font size="3"]After I just sent LL a long 'gram on how friendly we were and how helpful our advice was??  :-S [/font]
[/quote]

Eh, it's ok. I'm made of tougher stuff...  I would have had to just return the favor down the line on something they're not knowledgeable about...  ;-)

charliem

[quote timestamp="1480017563" source="/post/26053/thread" author="@thedusty"][quote timestamp="1480016738" author="@charliem" source="/post/26052/thread"][font size="3"]After I just sent LL a long 'gram on how friendly we were and how helpful our advice was??  :-S   [/font]
[/quote]Eh, it's ok. I'm made of tougher stuff...  I would have had to just return the favor down the line on something they're not knowledgeable about...  ;-)[/quote][font size="3"]Something Pins isn't knowledgeable about? What would that be?    ;)  [/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

thedusty

Quote from: @charliem" source="/post/26054/thread" timestamp="1480018095[quote source="/post/26053/thread" author="@thedusty" timestamp="1480017563"]Eh, it's ok. I'm made of tougher stuff...  I would have had to just return the favor down the line on something they're not knowledgeable about...  ;-)
[font size="3"]Something Pins isn't knowledgeable about? What would that be?    ;)  [/font]
[/quote]

If we're lucky, we'll never know...might bring about a tear in the space time continuum.

Anyway...Happy Thanksgiving you Hot Water Tank experts you!

pinstriper

Charlie, I just noticed what you did with your avatar. When did you sneak that through ?
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

charliem

[quote timestamp="1480019290" author="@pinstriper" source="/post/26056/thread"]Charlie, I just noticed what you did with your avatar. When did you sneak that through ?[/quote][font size="3"]September. I wondered how long it would take you.     :D      :D  

[font size="1"]...and the gas mileage is g[font size="2"]r[font size="3"]e[/font][font size="4"]a[/font][/font][font size="5"]t[/font][/font]
 [/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

mdpempsell

For the little money involved, throw it out and buy a new one.  I can get 2 or 3 years out of one by draining my tank after each trip.