• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

the second time I've blown a fuse...

Started by catmanriff, October 03, 2016, 07:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catmanriff

I bought the adaptor for the 30a supplied cord for our QS10 so I could plug it in to a regular edison 15a circuit to charge. It blew the fuse last december and again this past thursday. 

In the middle of those trips I've used the 30a cord at a campsite just fine. I also bought another 30a to 15a adaptor in case something was whacked.. 

any ideas? 

charliem

[font size="3"]What fuse did it blow? In your house? What was turned on in the QS?
[/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

catmanriff

no, the bottom 15a fuse in the QS...seems like the master.  I replaced the fuse and everything is fine but I don't understand. Perhaps I'll check the pin polarity on the adaptor.

charliem

[font size="3"]Quoted from my earlier post:

".... the converters in the QSs have a strange wiring quirk that leads to blown fuses when charging from shore power. The onboard converter should charge the battery, but it sometimes blows a 15A fuse. There is also a reverse polarity fuse that will blow if the battery is ever connected backwards, even for an instant. Check all your fuses. If you find a blown fuse that's probably the problem. Short of rewiring the power distribution system, some owners have reported success by replacing a 15A with a 20A fuse. This is not a safety issue and is worth a try. You can verify charging by measuring the voltage at the battery. A battery being charged will read greater than 13 volts. Left overnight, the onboard converter will fully recharge a depleted battery."

This is a known anomaly on QSs. The fuse is more likely to blow if the battery is low and needs heavy charging. 
[/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

catmanriff

excellent information. Thanks. I may have read that before but it didn't register that the battery level or polarity might be to blame. But, would a reversed polarity on the 30a-15a adaptor cord bring about the same fuse fault?   Before our non-issue summer trip I charged the battery directly with a trickle charger. but not this time. Perhaps it cannot take the surge of energy going to the battery?

I'll get out my manual and see what the bottom fuse is in our QS.