• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.
 

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

New Finding!!!!

Started by wcuhoppytoad, May 29, 2016, 12:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinstriper

The only plausible explanation is Photoshop.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

montedtrotter1

Didn't LL move the factory from Wakarusa to Topeka IN last fall? Were you in the new factory?

whoofit

[quote timestamp="1464557687" source="/post/21702/thread" author="@wcuhoppytoad"]I have to stop looking. I keep finding more!!! it appears I have a metal roof stud every 4 foot with two within a foot behind the air condition unit. There is two running half way down the front stopping in the middle of curve. There is one located in the slide out to the left of the window.[/quote]This doesn't sound so bad. I was under the impression every truss was steel. It appears there was some strengthening/stiffening done using steel.

Minor revision for good reason probably.

I will no longer set my trailer ablaze in defiance.

daplumbr

This last spring (March-ish), there was another change in LL management from Crossroads RV to K-Z RV. Did that also involve a another local change in factory location, in addition to the earlier move from Wakarusa, IN, to Topeka, IN?

I just got out a magnet and checked our 9/14 construction 2015 16TBS and the only hidden steel is apparently a strip under the interior ceiling Azdel seams. 

gbpack

Quote from: @montedtrotter1" source="/post/21717/thread" timestamp="1464570676Didn't LL move the factory from Wakarusa to Topeka IN last fall? Were you in the new factory?


We were in the new factory in Topeka.

whoofit

Dollars to doughnuts the new roof design needs such struts. Since the underlayment in the new roof design is supposedly Azdel I wonder about the transitions between sheets. This owner is finding steel at exactly 4' increments, with one sheet ripped as a filler sheet, just like the Azdel sheet width.

My, how it boggles the mind...

whoofit

[quote timestamp="1464575893" source="/post/21719/thread" author="@sandroad"]
I just got out a magnet and checked our 9/14 construction 2015 16TBS and the only hidden steel is apparently a strip under the interior ceiling Azdel seams. [/quote]Those caps are normally inserted into steel tracks. The caps snap into place. This system is commonly found in thresholds aka transitions for laminate and tile flooring. http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=577608-33674-F162VXP032&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=50115783&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

djsamuel

[quote source="/post/21685/thread" timestamp="1464550496" author="@charliem"][font size="3"]April 1 has long since past! [/font][font size="3"]You have got to be kidding us! Aren't you??  :-S  

We may even lose Doug Samuel on this one
[/font][/quote]This really is disturbing, and deceptive. I'd like to hear an explanation on this one.
Camplite 21BHS / Ram 1500

Central Florida


whoofit

Hey, WC. As disgusted as you are with all of this would it be possible for you to use a weaker magnet and trace these areas again? A magnet like those flexible refrigerator ones people use for advertising maybe?.

What you have given us is great but we need to know if they are actually support members or just finish strips for the new roofing style. A weaker magnet would not find those. If you even have the new roof style that is...

daplumbr

[quote source="/post/21727/thread" author="@whoofit" timestamp="1464607144"]Hey, WC. As disgusted as you are with all of this would it be possible for you to use a weaker magnet and trace these areas again? A magnet like those flexible refrigerator ones people use for advertising maybe?.

What you have given us is great but we need to know if they are actually support members or just finish strips for the new roofing style. A weaker magnet would not find those. If you even have the new roof style that is...[/quote]Good thought, but too many variables. One of the weaker fridge magnets might not even reach thruigh the Azdel even if there were a steel I-beam under there. I have trouble with some of those working on the fridge through thicker paper!  

Future buyers really need to know from the factory: 1) whether there is structural steel in the trailer and 2) how the steel that obviously is in there is treated so it won't rust or cause problems with the aluminum. 

pinstriper

I'm not gonna believe in this until someone cuts open their trailer and finds out for sure. Someone needs to do this, for the good of all.

Not me. But someone.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

mitch

Out of curiosity I checked my 2013 13 QBB and found 3 places where a magnet stuck to the ceiling.  It appears that there are straps approximately 3 to 4 inches wide across the width of the camper.  One is aligned with the front of the kitchen counter/cabinets and then one on each side of the entry door.

I took a look at the 2013 Livinlite video where Scott Tuttle shows the frame of the campers and I couldn't see anything other than aluminum tube but the shots of those areas weren't all that great.

I'm just going to assume that somewhere along the way they decided they wanted a few stiffeners.  
Mitch
2013 13QBB
2015 Ford F-150
Anderson 3324 WDH

wcuhoppytoad

[p]My unit has the old style roof with one constant sheet. I spent the night in the camper last night (driveway camping) and kept looking up at the ceiling trying to come to any conclusion as to why there would be metal supports or tubing. Could they have installed this tubing to run the electrical wiring. I kept on thinking about the two places in the front of the camper in the curve. They  basically run down the front curve in about the same location as the front running lights. Just a thought!!! [/p]

charliem

[font size="3"]I don't see steel conduit for wiring. Plastic loom is much less expensive, easier to install, and quite adequate. I'm more inclined to think the steel is related to the overall fabrication process. Some simplification or material/cost/labor saving thing. Under Scott Tuttle's leadership LL had an absolute religious devotion to aluminum. Thor has a similar metallic devotion, but to gold and silver.
[/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

scbillandjane

OK, folks, this thread sent us out this morning to our 2015 21BHS (Manufacture date of October 2014) armed with only weak refrigerator magnets. We have not taken pictures yet, but the magnets stuck to the following places:

SHOWER
       1. Horizontally across street side interior wall slightly less than halfway down from the top and running behind the mesh pouch hanging on the wall
       2. Another horizontal band approximately 4 or 5 inches below the one described above, and then a solid rectangular area between these two under the mesh pouch
       3. Just barely inside the shower wall on the back end of the camper starting just below the curtain rod and running all the way down to the floor just inside the aluminum frame of the shower

LOWER BUNK BED AREA
       1. Curb side back corner from bottom of the top bunk, then all the length of the bunk bed just next to(above) the bed frame/storage compartment support, stopping about 10 - 12 inches from the corner next to the      kitchen cabinet wall
       2. Then checked in the storage compartment and found the same pattern just beneath the bed support frame

UPPER BUNK BED AREA (ONLY what I could reach standing on a very small step stool - did not climb up on the bunk bed!)
       1. Lower left window corner area
       2. Up the curb side wall at the corner closest to kitchen from bunk platform to ceiling

KITCHEN
       1. Stove corner outside wall from counter top to bottom of microwave, then along wall across bottom of microwave
       2. INSIDE the upper cabinet above sink - horizontally across outside wall in a band about 2 1/2 to 3 inches tall starting at the bottom
       3. Outer left side of upper cabinet - from ceiling to bottom of cabinet, but NOT down the wall right next to the door
       4. All kitchen window corners (***actually, all windows in the whole camper had small areas at the corners where magnets stuck on the wall.
       5. Some of the ceiling just outside the bathroom door frame
       6. Some/most of the ceiling just above the refrigerator

CEILING - all ceiling seams

At that point, I got hot and tired, so I quit for the day.  I did not check the front curved wall above the bed, nor did I check inside the wardrobe or the cabinets above the bed.

Not quite sure what to think, but we're definitely surprised. We had assumed that all aluminum structure meant exactly that. Disappointed to find out differently. Still love our camper and look forward to putting many more miles on it and meeting some of you fellow enthusiasts in Oregon.