• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

2013 Tacoma to 2016 Tundra - 2016 16DBS

Started by oleo, May 04, 2016, 06:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oleo

[font face="comic sans ms" color="#1979e6" size="4"]We bumped up from our 2013 Tacoma 4x4 4.0L V6 TRD Sport to the 2016 Tundra 4x4 5.7L V8 TRD Off-Road to tow our 2016 16DBS.  
It was hard letting go of our Tacoma, great truck...but the Tundra is awesome.
Here are pics of both.[/font]

[attachment id="1375" thumbnail="1"]
[attachment id="1376" thumbnail="1"]
Magoo

david

Congratulations on your new truck. But I'll bet the Tacoma pulled your 16DBS just fine. Our 2013 Pathfinder with a 3.5 liter V6 pulls our 16TBS very well.

With the light weight of a LL, a medium size SUV or truck can tow a 16 ok. It probably takes a 4 liter and a Tacoma or similar to pull a 21 and I would want a Tundra or other full size pick up to tow a 28.

You should be very solid pulling your 16DBS with your new Tundra.

David
David M

16TBS towed with a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder

daplumbr

You'll be asking "What trailer?" Drive it like you stole it. 

lion77789

Why didn't you take the 2016 Tacoma? I've read that fuel efficiency is great as for such cars
https://the-cars.net/toyota-tacoma-fuel-economy

oleo

Without getting into to many details...
The decision was a combined financial, performance, and safety one.  Dealership gave us a fantastic trade in on the Tacoma which had 21,480 miles, interior/exterior like new, yet it was (3) years old.  We also got an awesome deal on the new Tundra.  It was truly one of those "no brainer" deals.  We felt the Tacoma handled the 16DBS fine, but wanted the Tundra's extra power, for now and the future. Yes we did loose a little mpg but in the big picture, it is just right for us.  And the overall safety of the larger Tundra sealed the deal for us.  
Magoo

spot1

Congrats on your new TV!!!!!!

We currently tow a 4950LB TT with a 4.0L Frontier and been thinking about buying a 5.7L Tundra at the end of the year.
We also have a 2003 2.4L Tacoma and like the Toyota, too.

Have you had a chance to check fuel economy while towing with the Tundra?

Thanks,

gnies

Congrats on the new truck! I just bought a 2016 Ford F150 because I felt it would be safer to tow my trailer even if I only have a 13QBB

scbillandjane

I have a 2007 5.7 Tundra and have towed from Key West to Alaska and San Diego to Maine towing a 3124 Trailmanor which is a hard sided no canvas pop up a little longer than my current 21bhs and about 500 pounds lighter. Since buying the 21bhs we have towed the Camplite to South Carolina from Illinois, then to Florida for a month, and to the beaches of South Carolina. Towing the Trailmanor which was about 6 feet high resulted in 13 mpg average at 65 mph. With wind direction, elevation, air conditioning, and going up or down hill the mileage would vary between 12 and 14 with a low of 11 and a high of 17. Towing the 21bhs with its much bigger frontal area results in an average of 10 mpg. Weight is not a problem. I have always been able to accelerate even up a 15% grade that had signs that recommended unhitching and using a parking lot for trailers at the bottom of the mountain. Someone else has described towing a trailer as trying tow a parachute. Frontal area of the trailer is the controlling factor. To me the Tundra is a little big and a little bit of over kill until some driver does something stupid in front of me. My wife likes to drive the Tundra on interstates because she feels in control.

I have been looking at different tow vehicles to replace my Tundra which has 150,000 miles on it, but nothing is wrong with it yet. In fact my other vehicle is a 2003 Toyota Forerunner also with 150,000 miles. I have a combined 22 years and 300,000 miles with no repairs under the hood, none inside the cabin, none to transmission, and no squeaks or rattles. I like the little Chevy diesel, but I am wanting to wait to see the repair record on all parts after 100,000 miles.    

spot1

scbillandjane, Thanks for the info!!!!! First TV we towed the CampLite with was a 1987 Toyota Pickup with 2.4L engine. Fine TV, too.

We like camping at Hunting Island SP SC. That's where our avatar came from!!

oleo

[quote source="/post/21885/thread" author="@exploringcarolina" timestamp="1464969135"]Congrats on your new TV!!!!!!

We currently tow a 4950LB TT with a 4.0L Frontier and been thinking about buying a 5.7L Tundra at the end of the year.
We also have a 2003 2.4L Tacoma and like the Toyota, too.

Have you had a chance to check fuel economy while towing with the Tundra?

Thanks,[/quote]Sorry for the delayed response.  So far we have traveled on fairly level 2 lane and 4 lane highways.  Speeds 45-60 mph towing.  Unscientifically found the sweet spot to be 55-57mph.  Less drag at that speed both with the Tacoma and Tundra.  We only have 2100 miles on the Tundra, so we don't have a whole lot of data yet.  At this point, we get between 13-14 mpg towing the 16DBS.  Probably would drop some towing over 60 mph.

We leave on another 100 mile trip tonight to one of our favorite state parks.  I will be watching the mpg then. 
Magoo