• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

Added a new luxury to the 10.0

Started by admin, November 02, 2015, 08:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

So I finally got around to completing a project that has been sitting around for far too long. I wanted to have the luxury of water pressure no matter our destination. So I decided to add an on demand water pump with the ability to expand and even use it for an outdoor "shower" at some point. The picture in here is before I clean it up but here is the basic design. I have the standard water inlet port that comes factory installed on the QSs running to a FloJet on-demand diaphragm pump. From the FloJet I have it routed to a variable 3 way valve. 1 of the outlets goes up to a coiled hose and 7 pattern spray head. This is essentially replacing the pump faucet. The second port coming off the 3 way valve runs to an outlet port on the outside of the camper. This is a new addition and the plan is to run a hose off this port for any exterior water needs. With the right nozzle we can use this for supplying water to a shower, or for washing dishing on the outside of the camper.

Since this entire setup runs off hand held water jugs it should be fairly easy to mix up some hot water for a shower. I currently have a 7 gallon Aquatainer and a 5 gallon Scepter water jerry can. I plan to replace the Scepter with another 7 gallon jug which should be make for more than enough water at any one time. I cant imagine needing more than 14 gallons for any 1 event.

Oh and I havent forgotten about those times where we can hook up to a city water supply. There is a bypass built into the system where I can simply hook up the city water and everything is good to go. The only catch with city water is the inability to use hot water directly.

All in all I'm happy with this next step forward. Now I think its time to remove the factory counter/sink. Since we very rarely use the factory sink I think I'd rather have one solid counter top. Then for the rare occasions I need to use the water inside the camper I'll simply use a wash tub.

2015-11-02_07-57-18 by Sean_NC Camper, on Flickr

idaho

From what I see you got rid of the faucet altogether?  We are considering doing something similar.  We have a QS 8.0, but it has the built in stove and a drop-in plastic sink rather than the one piece molded countertop/sink.  This gives us virtually no counter space and the sink is so shallow that it is pretty much useless.  We just purchased this 2013 unit last month and haven't used it yet, but have already discovered that the faucet does not work.  I'm for removing the countertop (and stove) and replacing it with a new countertop and like you, using a portable dish tub.  I plan to do all our cooking outside anyway, so don't need the built-in stove.  I will be anxiously awaiting photos and info on what you use for your new countertop.

admin

Its been a bit busy around here, but I hope to have a better write up soon which should include the details on replacing the countertop.

I keep flip flopping in my design. Part of me wants to break the golden rule and get a decent wood counter top and just seal it well. Maybe sealed similarly to a bar top.
Then the other side say to replace the current top with a solid piece of plastic...

thudd3r

if you want to go with bar coat (very thick gloss epoxy coating), just be aware of the cost.  i have done a couple projects with it and it runs about $25 a quart.  a quart will only cover about 4 sq ft (at 1/8" thickness).  the package says 9 sq ft, but that is at a really thin 1/16" thickness)

home depot carries it (parks super glaze  was the one i used) and it does a great job, but you pretty much have to do it all at once, and do it pretty fast (it is a 2 part epoxy that sets up pretty quick).  also, it scratches pretty easy and the only way to fix it properly is to recoat it with a thin layer.  probably not very effective for a camper.

admin

Ok so I've decided to break the golden rule and add a little bit of wood to camper  :o
Since we never actually use the sink as intended we took the leap and decided to remove it all together. Now dont get me wrong, I still like the idea of having a sink, but we just dont use it and having the counter space is more important for us.

Here is the current top:
[a href="https://flic.kr/p/AfUkfF"]

More pictures to come as I actually get it installed :)

whoofit

Big happenings in the QS! I hear you on the precious horizontal surfaces. I think it will look great.

admin

Current progress. The top is reinforced on the bottom with cross braces. The braces also act as stop blocks for any movement. That actually are so tight that I don't think I'm going to use any hardware to hold it down. This way I can service easily when future projects come up.

cctjohn

I believe I watched your vid on this just last night. Well done

debiski

[quote source="/post/16543/thread" timestamp="1447098874" author="@admin"]Ok so I've decided to break the golden rule and add a little bit of wood to camper  :o
Since we never actually use the sink as intended we took the leap and decided to remove it all together. Now dont get me wrong, I still like the idea of having a sink, but we just dont use it and having the counter space is more important for us.

Here is the current top:
[a href="https://flic.kr/p/AfUkfF"]

[img style="max-width:100%;" src="https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5756/22280424774_926f8a282d_z.jpg"][/a]

I have also trimmed up the top and started to add Polyurethane to seal and protect it:
[a href="https://flic.kr/p/AidKNn"]
[img style="max-width:100%;" src="https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5680/22510999229_a409909b6e_z.jpg"][/a]

I choose to keep it as light as possible to help keep the inside of the camper bright and open feeling. Maybe its just in my head but it sounds like a good idea :)

I've also thought about adding "upgrades" to it like having a built in power station, or removable access hatch so that I could have a recessed trash can or something. However at this point I'm trying to stay as simple as possible.

More pictures to come as I actually get it installed :) [/quote]Yay! I found the post I was looking for! Sean...can you explain how you removed your counter/sink? Did it come off in one piece? How hard was it to remove? We need more counter space and the sink is useless anyway.

admin

The counter wasn't bad to remove. The only part that could be considered difficult was the fact that I had to drill out the rivets. My counter was I piece of molded plastic which rolled over the edge of the frame. It was the pop riveted in. I took a small drill bit and drilled each rivet out. When that was done the whole top came off as one piece assuming you already disconnected the sink lines. I was worried that drilling out the rivets would leave nasty little holes. Admittedly it did leave the holes but I don't even notice them now that the new top is in place.

Sean, your countertop looks fantastic!  It seems so practical to have uninterrupted counter space.  

I cook from scratch at every meal due to husband's food allergies, and I need space for that!  We haven't bought a QS yet--still kickin' tires, but I was worried that the tiny sink would be a waste of kitchen real estate.  Too bad you can't order one from the factory without the sink.

admin

The sink is a great idea but we just never found it practical. If you didn't want to go to this extreme you could add a cutting board as a way to fill the hole.