Author Topic: Camping World- spammers, brain dead or what?  (Read 1383 times)

david

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Camping World- spammers, brain dead or what?
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:13:09 PM »
At the beginning of this season I made my first and last purchase from Camping World, a flush valve for the Dometic toilet on my camper. As a result I got on their mailing list. I don't recall having a choice to opt out; I usually do. You have to give them an email address to order online.

So for the last several months I get an email from CW almost daily about some special. At least once a week I hit unsubscribe. It tells me that I am unsubscribed, but it might take a week to clear their queue. But it doesn't work and I keep getting their emails, week after week, month after month.

Is Camping World a spammer (yes), are they brain dead by alienating future customers (yes) and will I ever buy from them again (no).

If anyone knows how to permanently get off Camping World's email system, please let me know. I realize that I can block them, but they should do it themselves if they are a responsible company, but it seems like they are not.

David
David M

16TBS towed with a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder

daplumbr

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 12:25:06 PM »
In my email system, I have the option to choose to send emails from certain senders to my junk inbox. I've had to do that with several vendors who have taken the "opportunity" of my on-line business to spam me constantly with "specials". You can't stop them from sending emails, but you can send the emails to oblivion. Of course, you have to check your junk mail if you ever do order from them again (I don't). 

hogtyd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 06:57:12 PM »
I was also not having any luck unsubscribing via the email opt-out links. So your best bet is to log into your CW account from their website and go to Email Preferences https://www.campingworld.com/account/preferences/ .  Then "uncheck" all 55 (!) email notification categories and save your preferences. So far that has worked for me.

Graham

david

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 07:20:02 PM »
Graham:

I just went in to Camping World's website and found the list of 55 items, 40 of which were still checked. Sheesh!!! I unchecked them all. Hopefully that is the end of my relationship with that company.

Thanks for giving me the trick.

David
David M

davidb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 10:09:22 PM »
We stopped at Camping World enroute to Louisiana from Indiana after picking up our Livin Lite for a few items, we were talked into "joining" their club to receive "huge" discounts on the supplies to save us money.

We were overloaded with almost daily mailouts and e-mails for extremely overpriced items and insurance. I have opted out of everything to do with them and still receive offers.

I can get anything for my trailer via online dealers and my local dealer cheaper than their "club" pricing usually with free shipping.

david

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 04:00:17 PM »
I now understand how Camping World's email solicitation system works, and it is a spam machine. When you first unknowingly register, you are automatically signed up for 55 different categories of emails: internet specials (the main one), store specials, rv sales, rv sales transactional (yes two for rvs),insurance, financing,.... The list goes on.

When you get an email, it is from one of those categories, and when you unsubscribe you only unsubscribe from that category. Using the unsubscribe button you can only unsubscribe from that category while it implies you are unsubcribing from everything. This way CW can keep sending you emails from all of the other catagories.

Clever of CW isn't it!! It might take a year of diligently unsubscribing to each spam email to stop all of them.

The only way to stop it all is to go into their website, log in and click off on all of the 55 (or those that are left after individually unsubscribing) and update your email preferences.

Wow!!! Thanks Camping World for being such a stand up online retailer.

David
David M

daplumbr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 05:15:22 PM »
I wonder if they are clever enough to have all 55 come from different servers/addresses so that the blocking/junk solution doesn't work either. 

david

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 06:08:54 PM »
Merlin:

I don't think they are that clever. They all come from campingworld@e.campingworld.com.

So, not as diabolical as Volkswagen.

David
David M

gnies

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 07:53:22 PM »
It's too bad you guys are not in Canada, they got very severe law about spam recently, not sure what they are and not sure how they apply it but I know it's severe

pjcd

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 12:55:50 PM »
I was a club member, it wasn't worth it. I can buy almost anything I need on line at a better price.

leslie

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 01:19:20 PM »
From a different point of view - my husband and I often stop at Camping World. We can usually find what we want. When we go to a locally owned store, or even say, Cabela's, we have walked out empty-handed. I have ordered online for some things, but the Camping World stores are convenient. Part of my never-ending search for more stuff...
Located in Kentucky and Florida at present