• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

"Second Tier" Generator recommendations

Started by fasteddieb, November 08, 2016, 09:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diversteve

I have the Champion 3000 watt inverter model as well.
It always starts on the first or second pull and the voltage and frequency are on spec regardless of the load applied.
Nice and quiet too, and it looks like you have a real nice spot to get away from it all.
Happy camping.

fasteddieb

My generator arrived Friday. Got around to adding the oil and starting it up Sunday.

Started on the first pull, something my Honda never does, requiring about 10 pulls.

Seems well made. Somehow it shipped with the air filter element loose from an open housing door - easily caught but should not have shipped like that.

Here are the two side-by-side:

The Champion is naturally larger and heavier, given its increased output. The wheels are nice, but do not work well on gravel. The 30A trailer-type receptacle is a nice feature. It has 12v output, but warns that its unregulated, so not for use with electronics.

The Champion is just a tad louder, but by no means objectionable. I downloaded a sound meter app for my phone and from about 5' away the Honda measured 77db and the Champion 81db. Decibels run on a logarithmic scale, so that's noticeable, but again by no means loud.

I'm satisfied so far. I'm now wondering if I should have gotten the propane-capable model - its not hard to imagine use cases where that could be handy. I just was not prepared to spend that much right now - maybe in the future.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice.
Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost

catmanriff

the handles are nice for carrying. The wheels you'll probably appreciate on paved surfaces. Good score

4dB difference may or may not matter. The frequency does however. Mid range tones in the speech area are generally heard as louder.  I've thought about making a fold up baffle gobo for my Wen 2k generator at some point with an open top, maybe one open side..

hogtyd

You should be able to get a propane kit relatively inexpensively if you ever want to add that as an optional fuel source. I installed one from https://www.propanecarbs.com/small_engines.html on my Honda eu2000 and it was an easy DIY project. Now I don't have to worry about carrying around a gas can when boondocking.

Graham

fasteddieb

Thanks, Graham - good to know.

Just what I need - another project!
Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost