• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

"Second Tier" Generator recommendations

Started by fasteddieb, November 08, 2016, 09:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasteddieb

We bought some property adjacent to a runway in E TN near Lenoir City - more on this forthcoming in another post.

It's hard to always get our solar panel in direct sun, so last trip we dragged along our Honda 2000i generator to top off the batteries when they got low.

[img style="max-width:100%;" src="https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5600/30770651051_4686e08765.jpg"]

[img style="max-width:100%;" src="https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5614/30770651391_d240248f37.jpg"]

Thanks in advance!
Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost

david

Those generators are big- 5,000+ watts which is way more than you need and run at 3,600 rpm and have a minimal muffler so will be very noisy.

Look at one of the Chinese made inverter generators. They use the same inverter technology as the Hondas. If you have a 13,000 btu A/C look for a model that produces 2,000+ watts continuously like this one https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-75531i-Generator/dp/B00BBDCE1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478615028&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=inverter+generator&psc=1. The 1,600-1,800 watt continuous generators will work if you have the 9.5K BTU A/C.

Look on Amazon, Harbor Freight, eBay.

David
David M

16TBS towed with a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder

pygrydr

[quote source="/post/25761/thread" author="@fasteddieb" timestamp="1478611224"]We bought some property adjacent to a runway in E TN near Lenoir City - more on this forthcoming in another post.

It's hard to always get our solar panel in direct sun, so last trip we dragged along our Honda 2000i generator to top off the batteries when they got low.

charliem

[font size="3"]I agree with the inverter generator recommendations. The cheap contractor grade gens are noisy and gas guzzling. When you've got three circular saws, a chop saw, hammers, and an idling cement truck standing by you don't notice the generator. But at a quiet remote site it becomes very annoying to you and others. You still want to hear the planes, right? The quiet inverter models adapt to the load so can run quieter and longer on a tank of gas.

For your semi-fixed application I would look at something in the 3000 watt range to allow for some additional loads. Remember a well pump if you will need one. Buying bigger now will serve well as your airstrip site develops. I would also consider propane as an option at a part time site since it stores well. And when you're gone, hide it and chain it!
[/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

pinstriper

My home generator is a Champion what I bought at Costco, 6500kw, dual fuel so it runs off gasoline OR propane. I have yet to run a drop of gasoline through her, and intend never to do so because I don't want to store gasoline in any but lawn mower quantities, but I do keep several cans of propane on hand for the grill, not to mention the 2 bottles on the RV. Never goes stale or jacks up the fuel lines.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

admin

The predator inverter gensets at harbor freight are tough as nails. I know Harbor Freight doesn't have the best reputation but I've seen these little things go through 1000 hours in all sorts of conditions without issue. We use them on a bow fishing / flounder gigging boat. They have been used about half their life at the coast and each trip has them running for about 8-10 hours at any given time. In fact in this recent hurricane that hit NC we used one to power the essential for nearly 24 hours a day for over a week. Not a single issue. They rival the Hondas for quietness, but the are rated at 2500 watts. If you get them with a coupon they are also one of the best prices around. I think you could get the genset and a replacement plan for less than most competitors on the market.

hogtyd

Since you already have one Honda 2000i, why not buy the "Companion" 2000i so that you can link them together for when you need to run the A/C but still have the option of running only one (quiet and efficient) unit to top off batteries or other lesser power needs?

billmoore

[quote timestamp="1478615395" author="@david" source="/post/25764/thread"]Those generators are big- 5,000+ watts which is way more than you need and run at 3,600 rpm and have a minimal muffler so will be very noisy.

Look at one of the Chinese made inverter generators. They use the same inverter technology as the Hondas. If you have a 13,000 btu A/C look for a model that produces 2,000+ watts continuously like this one https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-75531i-Generator/dp/B00BBDCE1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478615028&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=inverter+generator&psc=1. The 1,600-1,800 watt continuous generators will work if you have the 9.5K BTU A/C.

Look on Amazon, Harbor Freight, eBay.

David[/quote]We have the Champion generator David links above, and it has been great. Much quieter than the open frame type generators, safe to power electronics with it (not true of any non-inverter models), has enough power to run either the AC or the microwave (but not enough to run both at the same time).

We have many hours of use on ours now, and are very happy with it. If you are a Costco member, they sell the same generator only in black instead of yellow, and periodically run it on sale for $599. When you buy it from them, you get their great return policy.

billmoore

Here is the Costco version. The specs are the same, the only difference is the color and the labeling (the black one has the continuous rating in the label and the yellow one has the peak rating).

http://www.costco.com/Champion-2800wt-Running--3100wt-Peak-Digital-Inverter-Gas-Generator%2c-Parallel-Capability%2c-Carb-%2526-EPA-Certified%2c-Low-Decibels.product.100302560.html

Also the Costco version has outlet covers...

fasteddieb

Bill & David,

Our 2kw Honda chokes on the air conditioner or microwave.

Does the extra 800w let it handle one or the other?

Thanks!
Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost

david

I am not surprised. A lot of people have trouble with the 13K btu A/C. The extra 800 watts may do the job. I understand that the 9.5K btu A/C starts easily with the Honda. But I think that if you install a hard start kit- Supco makes them, the 2K Honda should start it ok.

David
David M

16TBS towed with a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder

billmoore

We have the 13K BTU A/C, and the Champion has no problem starting it as long as you aren't using the microwave. And it can run the microwave (or convection) oven just fine, just not while the AC is on...

On our last boondocking trip, we actually baked bread in the oven via the generator. No problem...

daplumbr

Will you ever need 220 at the site? Maybe for a well? If so, consider the future in your sizing. I have a Honda 5000 (with 220) for backup power at home and a Honda 1000 (110 only of course) for backup at my cabin. We don't take ours camping. I hate to be a Honda snob, but I think you if are already used to a Honda, you may miss the quiet, high quality, reliable, and efficient power Honda's produce. I like the suggestion above of buying the Honda 2000 Companion to parallel with the 2000 you have for those times you need extra power (and an RV outlet), provided you will never be needing 220. 

catmanriff

I bought a Wen 2000 watt inverter generator. Its basically a Yamaha inside. But it's more around $500-600. So far it has been good

fasteddieb

Thanks for all the learned responses. I was definitely not considering the noise aspect, nor the advantages of an inverter type.

As such, I just ordered this, as originally recommended by billmoore:

Certainly not the be-all-end-all of generators, but being on a budget will do for now.

Thanks again.
Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost