• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

ok, not gear but a trailer cover...

Started by easwen, June 30, 2016, 07:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easwen

Have a 13' QHB, looking for recommendations on a cover. Not the most expensive one, but one that fits and keeps sun out.  Yes, I am a newbie.  ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

pinstriper

You're in OR, right ? So...that cover will hold the moisture nicely against your trailer, leaving to exterior mold, etc. May not be as good an idea as you wish.

Now, the covers that protect tires from UV, those may buy you a year of extra tire life. But they should go at 5-6 years anyway.

What you really want is some sort of carport to minimize sun exposure, ice, and of course hail.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

admin

ron

I have used a Goldline cover for three summers now and would highly recommend it.  In the summer I put 3 milk crates on top, with the open end down.  I use pool noodles from Walmart cut with a slit on the rims of the milk coolers, so only this closed cell foam touches the rv.  The milk crates allow for plenty of air circulation, and on most days, I open the doors and windows and open the cover in various places to allow for more air circulation---just be aware of quick storms as the wind will remove the cover for you if it is not clipped underneath.  In the winter I designed a PVC structure that was 6" wider and longer than the camper top.....think structure you would see under a commercial awning. This goes on top, with the pool noodles around the PVC to touch the camper.  It has a bow in the design.  Over this I add the cover and then add a waterproof tarp that goes 2' down the sides, 3-4' down the front and back.  It sheds the rain and snow great, and allows for fine circulation. After a big rain or snow, I will sometimes put a big fan on the entire unit, to dry out the top, underneath, and in the camper too, although just opening doors and windows does fine.  My cover is slightly over sized so it covers everything including the hitch and LP tanks, and of course the tires.  I also keep the roof vents open about an inch in summer, no rain comes the the cover.  No mold or poor air circulation issues.  The cover dries in an hour after a rain or snow, except where it bunches up on the ground, thus the big fan helps or just walking around and shaking off the cloth gets the water off and it will dry pretty quickly.

It offers some hail,protection, but more importantly keeps the summer sun from beating it to death, and keeps it a bit cooler in summer.  It also use a $40 oil filled radiator type heater in the winter keeping it above 40, even though it has been winterized. We are seeing zero in the winter and 90s are common in summer.  Our is a 14' and the cover is a bit heavy and installation is a learning curve for sure.

This will do for 4-6 years,or more who knows.  We are reluctant to build a garage till we build our one level retirement home in a few years.

ron

I have used a Goldline cover for three summers now and would highly recommend it.  In the summer I put 3 milk crates on top, with the open end down.  I use pool noodles from Walmart cut with a slit on the rims of the milk coolers, so only this closed cell foam touches the rv.  The milk crates allow for plenty of air circulation, and on most days, I open the doors and windows and open the cover in various places to allow for more air circulation---just be aware of quick storms as the wind will remove the cover for you if it is not clipped underneath.  In the winter I designed a PVC structure that was 6" wider and longer than the camper top.....think structure you would see under a commercial awning. This goes on top, with the pool noodles around the PVC to touch the camper.  It has a bow in the design.  Over this I add the cover and then add a waterproof tarp that goes 2' down the sides, 3-4' down the front and back.  It sheds the rain and snow great, and allows for fine circulation. After a big rain or snow, I will sometimes put a big fan on the entire unit, to dry out the top, underneath, and in the camper too, although just opening doors and windows does fine.  My cover is slightly over sized so it covers everything including the hitch and LP tanks, and of course the tires.  I also keep the roof vents open about an inch in summer, no rain comes the the cover.  No mold or poor air circulation issues.  The cover dries in an hour after a rain or snow, except where it bunches up on the ground, thus the big fan helps or just walking around and shaking off the cloth gets the water off and it will dry pretty quickly.

It offers some hail,protection, but more importantly keeps the summer sun from beating it to death, and keeps it a bit cooler in summer.  It also use a $40 oil filled radiator type heater in the winter keeping it above 40, even though it has been winterized. We are seeing zero in the winter and 90s are common in summer.  Our is a 14' and the cover is a bit heavy and installation is a learning curve for sure.

This will do for 4-6 years,or more who knows.  We are reluctant to build a garage till we build our one level retirement home in a few years.

ron

Sorry about the double post, cannot figure how to,remove it.

orangeinpa

Are there Custom covers for Camp lite Livin Lite 16DBS models? where to find etc?

daplumbr

Orange, I assume. 

If you haven't done so, run a search on this forum using cover as the search term. There are lots of posts on covers and I know that some companies sell a cover that is measured to your camper's dimensions and shape, including a door access panel. It's been a while since I looked, so I don't have any fresh info.