• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

QS 6.0 bed Support-not well designed.

Started by qs601956, October 22, 2016, 02:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qs601956

[p]Anyone else unhappy with the 6.0 bed support?  First trip we used a small step-ladder as a back-up. Then I had a great idea.[/p][p]I had two microphone stands with heavy bases. I cut a  2 x 4 to 6 ft long. I then drilled two holes in the board.[/p][p]
[/p][p]The board sits on top of the two mic stands. It is very flexible and sturdy, We store it and other items under the tonneau  cover.[/p][p]It is then available for set-up![/p]

idlerockfarm

I've been okay with mine.

I prop up one side if the ground is uneven. Otherwise it works for me.

mjmoore17

Not sure what there is to be unhappy about. Has yours ever collapsed? Until I have read a couple of complaints on-line, it never entered my mind. I camp off-road often in very uneven locations. It has never been a problem or concern. I do try to keep the feet level and once or twice put a piece of wood or a rock under the feet.

qs601956

It is just much more stable with my addition. No collapse just feel more secure.

alf

The diameter of the support legs does worry me too, but we weigh in at 400+ lb. and the bed feels solid when we sleep there.

I did notice that the Jeep version of the QS 6.0 has much heftier support legs: http://imgur.com/a/mRima
I've been thinking about perhaps getting these as an upgrade.

idlerockfarm

The way we have it works for solo setup. I really believe the 6.0 is the best-built solo camper's tent trailer. My dog agrees. ?

But I'm glad you feel more secure with your mod.

catmanriff

Not sure i'd trust mic stands if they were the only means of support. As extra help? perhaps. But mic stands are not meant to hold very much weight on their vertical axis. The typical plastic squeeze bushings inside are not very robust.

I'd probably just have a third support made.

qs601956

It is just a back-up- agreed I would not solely depend on it.  My other idea was to go to Home Depot and buy threaded pipe and a flange but I do not want to drill into the bed frame.