Author Topic: QS 10.0 Rear Kitchen Mod  (Read 2552 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
    • View Profile
QS 10.0 Rear Kitchen Mod
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 12:47:09 PM »
@bjugrad79, I'd say anything is possible with enough effort. Yet I can see why the factory would just say no to that kind of mod. If they do the modification then they are responsible for it. If some some reason that frame extension fails and the box comes off I can see why the factory wouldn't want that liability on them.

husaberger

• View Profile
QS 10.0 Rear Kitchen Mod
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 02:18:32 PM »
[quote source="/post/23812/thread" author="@admin" timestamp="1470930429"]@bjugrad79 , I'd say anything is possible with enough effort. Yet I can see why the factory would just say no to that kind of mod. If they do the modification then they are responsible for it. If some some reason that frame extension fails and the box comes off I can see why the factory wouldn't want that liability on them.[/quote]I agree with that assessment.

now without talking to the wife - I m actually thinking about this - but I see its a 22x22 size  I think i could get away with a little smaller at 16 to 18inches due to the fact it could replace my camp kitchen that I use and I haul in and out at every camping trip.

only issue is using the awning along with the screen tent on that side, and thinking how it would work. but the benefits of having a little more storage room, and a place to put sheets, and other things that are loaded at camp time outweighs the benefits of the awning screen room, considering how often I put the walls up.

clyde

catmanriff

QS 10.0 Rear Kitchen Mod
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 02:33:36 PM »
wow, are you kidding! that's awesome.  Can you put dry food goods in it or does it get too hot?

QS 10.0 Rear Kitchen Mod
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 04:23:57 PM »
[quote timestamp="1470930429" author="@admin" source="/post/23812/thread"]@bjugrad79 , I'd say anything is possible with enough effort. Yet I can see why the factory would just say no to that kind of mod. If they do the modification then they are responsible for it. If some some reason that frame extension fails and the box comes off I can see why the factory wouldn't want that liability on them.[/quote]We're on the same page.

What they told me, however, is that from an architectural and engineering perspective the job could not be done.  What they should have told me was that it could be done but they will not do it because of liability issues.

Either way, this is a great looking mod.

sandyu

• View Profile
QS 10.0 Rear Kitchen Mod
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 08:04:10 PM »
You win the award for best mod ever.

allenincalgary

QS 10.0 Rear Kitchen Mod
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was also wary of welding aluminum so I riveted the entire thing together and sealed with silicone.

i find it doesnt get super hot as the aluminum is so reflective, and of course I live in Canada!

The exterior box itself is 23 inches high and 25 wide. The drawer unit itself is 22 wide by 21.75 high to be exact.

Extending the bumper made me nervous at first as well. Technically I should have cantilevered the 1 by 4 aluminum rectangular tubes twice as far down the existing frame tube as they extend past, but the pieces I acquired were sold to me as scrap so I couldnt refuse the price. I have the two extension tubes running 20 inches past where the original bumper attached, and 28 inches down both sides of the frame tube (on both sides- 4 tubes total. I also added a 2 by 4 rectangular tube in the center which extends past the first crossmember under the trailer.

I am pleased to report there is absolutely no flex or movement of the box against the trailer- even with my 200+ pounds jumping on it!!

I sent several screws through the side of the exterior box into the trailer corners, primarily to square the box at the drawer end, but these have experienced no flex yet either.

I have only pulled the modded unit 200 miles so far however.

allenincalgary

QS 10.0 Rear Kitchen Mod
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2016, 10:26:21 PM »
The ability to open and pack the kitchen before heading out with canned and dry goods, washed towels etc, is the best part. The plastic bins work almost perfectly as drawers at the top. Theres 5 and at 22 by 16 each theres alot of room!

allenincalgary

QS 10.0 Rear Kitchen Mod
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2016, 10:28:15 PM »
I used stainless bolts to attach the frame extensions as I read it has the least risk of corrosion.

allenincalgary

QS 10.0 Rear Kitchen Mod
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 10:40:06 PM »
I use a 10 by 10 pop up canopy frame and a heavy poly 18 by 24 foot tarp that covers the open tent trailer top and the "kitchen" area just past this kitchen extension.

As my son says, the tarp as an awning does look "janky" but it is very effective. We have had abnormally heavy rainfall this summer so I can attest to the effectiveness of the "awning".

I bought the LL awning when I bought the trailer but I found it never hung very well and seemed to strain the tent.  The zipper failed relatively early on as well so it sits in my garage with no specific purpose!