• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

Shopping for a TV / Good LL match for Subaru Outback?

Started by rewster79, July 06, 2016, 03:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighteremt

Just my quick little 2 cents worth on safety ratings.  Every single vehicle extrication class I have been to in the fire service all have a subject on vehicle safety ratings.  Little do most people know that these safety tests are performed at a breakneck speed of 30 mph.  The reasoning behind such a slow speed test is that there is not a vehicle on the market that can pass the test at a normal travel speed of 60mph.  Vehicles are just not made like they used to be.  They all have lightweight materials that just aren't meant to withstand a high impact crash.  They perform the test at 30 mph so that they can have some makes that do well.   With all that being said, in my opinion if a vehicle cannot pass this slow of a test then you do not want to imagine how it would hold up in a normal travel speed test.  Just my little knowledge on the subject and thought I would share.  Good luck in your search

jammydee

I have a 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT and just purchased a QS 10.0 with all the bells and whistles. I'm picking it up next saturday and will let you know how awesome/big a mistake it is to tow a 10.0 with the Outback. Everyone I talked to at dealerships seems to think I won't have any real issues but did recommend electric trailer brakes, which I decided to get.

diversteve

This is the link to the towing guide for your year model.
It certainly looks capable with a towing capacity listed at 2700 lbs.
we own a 2011 Outback 3.6 and find it to be an excellent vehicle.
We tow our 2014 14DBS with a 5.7L Tundra. Spend most of our trips in the mountains.
There is a lot of good information in the towing guide that will help with towing.
Be safe and have fun.

http://www.trailerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DigitalTLTowGuide2011.pdf

whoofit

We just upgraded wifey from a 2014 Escape to a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. It does double duty as a commuter and near range TV. 4500lb tow capacity and doesn't snivel at the 16db fully watered. Aside from this it rock crawls like a Banshee...loads of fun.

jammydee

Towed our 2017 10.0 home from the dealer no problem. It's hardly noticeable behind the 2011 outback even with the 2.5 4-cylinder and the CVT. An added plus is for visibility we just had to put a stick on convex blind spot mirror on the driver's side. We opted for the electric brakes and the dealer installed and calibrated the brake controller for us to the lower right of the steering wheel.

All in all I'm very pleased and can't wait for Labor Day weekend to take it out, camping in my driveway just isn't the same!

idlerockfarm

I have a 2007 Outback and a 6.0. I know the newer CVT is nice  (had a loaner for the passenger airbag recall work), but loaded with my 100lb dog and me the engine feels a bit sluggish on hills sometimes. Few hills, you said, but 3 people plus stuff would be more than I'd want to do for driving country roads. My car IS older though.

My next vehicle, I hope, will be the pilot or the a F150 or Chevy or GMC pickup (I have no truck brand loyalty and really just want to be able to afford a new Tacoma or Tundra).

Good luck with your decision. Let me emphasize that daily driving is a concern, but also consider the vehicle you may need for a future trailer upgrade if that might be necessary. Easier to plan for that now.

And, if you haven't towed before, you WILL want more capacity than you use. It isn't paranoia that we all lean towards those kinds of recommendations.