Author Topic: New floor Construction  (Read 1330 times)

charliem

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
New floor Construction
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:53:50 PM »
[font size="3"]@djmiller ,

Can you provide insight into the construction of the new floor? I have long thought that a floor could be constructed using aluminum, foam, and composites to yield a strong and insulated floor while retaining the corrosion/rot/mold resistance of the original LL philosophy. As an engineer and vocal critic/cheerleader for LL I'm very interested in new features and construction.

Thanks for your participation in our forum.
[/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

djmiller

New floor Construction
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 02:34:23 PM »
Charlie

FLOOR CONSISTS OF 1-1/2 X 1-1/2 Aluminum Frame and cross members, openings between the aluminum tubes are filled with 1-1/2 2 Lb. Lamination grade foam board. The top side has a layer of lami-plast, which is a Glasfibre Reinforced plastic. One the bottom side a 2.7mm sheet of Azdel covers the 2 lb. foam, with a final layer of black tuff tear.  This assembly is vacuum bonded and the Vinyl floor covering is applied to the assembly.

For clarification purposes vacuum-bonded is NOT your ordinary lamination process through glue rollers.  Glue is consistently applied though a machine driven manifold at a constant speed and rate and the assemblies are not run through a pinch rollers but sandwiched under consistent pressure using vacuum bags.

charliem

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
New floor Construction
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 03:08:07 PM »
[font size="3"]dj,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Sounds like a great solution to the no rot no mold yet still warm floor problem. I wish I had it.

What is the cross member spacing?

Now if you could only export this technology to Airstream I know a lot of new 'Streamers would be happy.
[/font]

Charlie
NW Florida

djmiller

New floor Construction
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 03:28:42 PM »
It Depends on the unit but basically broken into 3 sections Front, Rear, and the center where the axles are attached. A box around each area with two additional runs spaced evenly down the center of the frame, with  a couple of additional cross members that are used as backers for cabinets.  I don't know what we are advertising but I would say maybe R7 to R8.  Much better that the raw aluminum floor and should lighten up the units a bit.

charliem

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
New floor Construction
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 03:38:13 PM »
[quote timestamp="1480966122" author="@djmiller" source="/post/26256/thread"] .......... R7 to R8.  Much better that the raw aluminum floor and should lighten up the units a bit.[/quote][font size="3"]Yes, especially when you consider the weight of the rubber foam squares most of us have added. [/font]

Charlie
NW Florida

djmiller

New floor Construction
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 03:45:38 PM »
HA

drdave

• View Profile
New floor Construction
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 09:56:53 PM »
I'm happy with mine, but have noticed one spot in the bedroom that squeaks if I step in just the right spot. That said it's a very minor complaint and I still give it a solid thumbs up.

docktorjj

New floor Construction
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 11:22:29 PM »
DjMiller,

Can some pictures be posted of the process and materials?

pinstriper

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
New floor Construction
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 12:21:04 PM »
[quote timestamp="1480966693" source="/post/26257/thread" author="@charliem"]
Quote from: @djmiller" source="/post/26256/thread" timestamp="1480966122
 .......... R7 to R8.  Much better that the raw aluminum floor and should lighten up the units a bit.
[font size="3"]Yes, especially when you consider the weight of the rubber foam squares most of us have added. [/font]
[/quote]That would be....umm....maybe 4 pounds ? 2 packs of foam from HFT, and they are feather light.

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

djmiller

New floor Construction
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 12:21:50 PM »
I would love to if I had the time  The next time I do get to Lamination I will see what I can do.