• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Best family cookset?

Started by admin, October 28, 2015, 10:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

After our most recent outing I came to the conclusion that we need a decent family oriented cookset. We have a few of the classic enamel pieces and some older fry pans but nothing that works well as a set. The pieces we currently have take up far too much room in my opinion and seem to leave way too much room for improvement. Thus the hunt for a family sized cookset began. I wanted something that was good quality while still being highly versatile. I also really wanted a set that took up as little room as possible. Thats when I started coming acros the Magma brand cook sets:
[a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TV7QD2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002TV7QD2&linkCode=as2&tag=livcamfor-20&linkId=PSR2XJUARUOSZNBT"]Magma 10 Piece Cookset[/a]

They kept popping up on my searches as the top cookset for marine and RV camping. They are 100% stainless steel and designed to nest into one small package. My only complaint was the price tag. $150 was the average price for the 10 piece set, and it wasnt much cheaper to downgrade to the 7 piece.
In the end I found a deal on Amazon in their "warehouse deals" section that allowed me to get the 10 piece set for about $100 bucks. So I jumped on it and figured worst case I'll just return them. In the end I'm hoping these live up to their reputation and I'll be sure to report back after I've had a chance to test them out a bit.

In the meantime, has anyone else had experience with these? Are there any other set that people have found that work really well?

-Sean

ammobob

Sean, we have had the 7 piece set for 3 years now and it has served us well. Easy to clean and the nesting feature keep everything inside the biggest pot. Good choice.

pinstriper

All our campware came from the dollar store.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

charliem

[quote source="/post/16331/thread" timestamp="1446042501" author="@pinstriper"]All our campware came from the dollar store. [/quote][font size="3"]And all your dollars went to the camping store?[/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

daplumbr

We have the Magma 10 piece set and love it. Ours is the ceramic coated heavy stainless steel set and it's easy to clean, stores compactly, and I really like the removable handles. My only negative is the lid is pretty large for the smallest pan, so it would be even better if there were an extra smaller lid. Did I mention it's heavy! We store it in the lowest compartment under the sink on the floor of the trailer and fit it tightly in place so it doesn't bang around. 

whoofit

[p]Looks like a nice set!

All ours came from dead relatives and there is plenty more in the basement where those came from unfortunately. And no, that is not to say we have dead relatives in the basement.... ???

All you are missing is Da Lobstah Paht!!![/p][p]
[/p][p]

scout

We use the Broadstone 16 pc nesting set  (blue enamel for the vintage feel)...it's..umm...meh for cooking but nice for boiling water and the nesting bowls, cups, etc. are easy to store. I also Like the large coffee urn (for water in the french press).

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/broadstone-enamel-cookware-set-16-pc-0763432p.html#.VjU27Iu9dUQ

For skillet use or griddle we go lodge cast iron..which is heavy but bombproof whether using on the stove top or campfire.  Can't say enough about Lodge...bass pro has a few nice sets and specialty pieces...

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/lodge-cast-iron-skillet-8/6000189296992/
http://www.basspro.com/Lodge-Logic-CastIron-Grid/Griddle/product/56155/

Also use a teflon griddle for the coleman stove...as we don't tend to cook inside much...good for big breakfast and easy storage in our mini 13 RDB.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000016373-Aluminum-Non-stick-Griddle/dp/B0009PUQZ0

admin

I definitely love my cast iron pieces as well. I keep a dutch oven, a skillet, and a grill pan around for those times I want to cook over a fire. I need to replace my griddle since it snapped in half. I still question how it snapped and the only answer I can come up with is uneven heating. It was heating up over two burners like its done many times before, however this time I can only assume that as each side heated up, it must have caused too much stress in the middle and thus it snapped.

Luckily the local AgriSupply around here sells cast iron cookware for dirt cheap. I think the last time I was there, they had unseasoned griddles for 10 or 15 bucks.

-Sean

mitch

Would you want to cook the entire family at the same time or would you cook them individually?
Mitch
2013 13QBB
2015 Ford F-150
Anderson 3324 WDH

admin

Quote from: @mitch" source="/post/16606/thread" timestamp="1447437009Would you want to cook the entire family at the same time or would you cook them individually?

lol well I guess the whole family at one time would be less stressful

pjcd

I have Farberware pots, (yard sale) and an assortment of utensils from who knows where!