• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

2016 TBS

Started by popup2012, January 10, 2016, 06:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popup2012

I just picked up my 2016 TBS with twin axles and old style cabinets  at Carolina Coach and Marine.  Why did it have a 2 5/16 hitch? I had everything I needed to bring it home and then lost a day and a half getting new hitch with sway control.

billmoore

They probably upgraded to the same coupler that comes on the toyhaulers (2 5/16 with side bolts) because of the problems with the smaller coupler that had only top bolts bending...

charliem

[font size="3"]Count yourself fortunate with the upgraded coupler. Sounds like the one I put on my 21RBS after the OEM coupler bent. I'm surprised it came on a new trailer.
[/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

blairh

[quote source="/post/17627/thread" timestamp="1452466016" author="@popup2012"]I just picked up my 2016 TBS with twin axles and old style cabinets  at Carolina Coach and Marine.  Why did it have a 2 5/16 hitch? I had everything I needed to bring it home and then lost a day and a half getting new hitch with sway control.
[/quote]As charile said, its better you go the 2 5/16 coupler for weight reasons. I'm curious, what vehicle are you towing with? What style of sway control was installed to the frame?

popup2012

2012 Tacoma with tow package and then put on a Andersen WDH

gbpack

We have a 2016 21BHS with the heavier coupler (2-5/16 ball/hitch) and Andersen WDH. We also put side bolts in the coupler as added strength and security. Everything works well together and it tows like a dream, even in windy weather. We pull it with a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (with V-8) and the Jeep pulls it like a champ. Plenty of power, even in the mountains where we can even accelerate going uphill if we want or need to.

montedtrotter1

Our 21BHS will be one year old in April. I ordered it with the 2-5/16 ball and also purchased the Anderson WDH prior to PU. The dealer installed for me. Just this past week I was doing some work on the 21 BHS and attached to my tow vehicle without the Anderson to move it a few feet. I was shocked when I put all the weight on my Chevy without the WDH. My rear bumper dropped an additional two inches! It drops 2 inches using the Anderson but it dropped four inches without.  I had never checked it before but now I am more convinced than ever that a WDH is a must, Andersen or whatever,get a WDH.

blairh

Quote from: @popup2012" timestamp="1453674702" source="/post/17978/thread2012 Tacoma with tow package and then put on a Andersen WDH
Awesome! The Andersen WD hitch is well-worth it, its an effective and easy-to-use WD hitch. The only reason I was asking about your tow vehicle is because your Tacoma would have mostly likely had a Class III hitch receiver on it already and with a standard ballmount, the 2" ball could have easily been swapped for a 2 5/16" ball within 10 minutes. Give the weight of the trailer and your tow vehicle, you'd be fine towing short distances. However, i'm glad you decided to go with the Andersen hitch. It will make a HUGE difference! Especially if you decide to travel on major highways and longer distance.

blairh

[quote source="/post/17981/thread" timestamp="1453686850" author="@gbpack"]We have a 2016 21BHS with the heavier coupler (2-5/16 ball/hitch) and Andersen WDH. We also put side bolts in the coupler as added strength and security. Everything works well together and it tows like a dream, even in windy weather. We pull it with a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee (with V-8) and the Jeep pulls it like a champ. Plenty of power, even in the mountains where we can even accelerate going uphill if we want or need to.[/quote]Yay! Grand Cherokee with the V8 Diesel and the Touareg V8 Diesel are two of my favorite choices for tow vehicles. All round, they offer ample towing capacity and great fuel economy while in-tow or not.

gbpack

Our V-8 is the 5.7L hemi that runs on gas. It generates almost 400 HP. Not sure what the diesels put out, but it's probably a little more.

blairh

[quote source="/post/18042/thread" timestamp="1453826935" author="@gbpack"]Our V-8 is the 5.7L hemi that runs on gas. It generates almost 400 HP. Not sure what the diesels put out, but it's probably a little more.[/quote]Ah yes, its the V6 that is the diesel for both models.. not the V8. 400HP, that a lot! Generally the diesels are less in HP than gas, but higher in torque foot-pounds.