• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

Rear Deck Aftermarket for QS 6.0, 8.0/1, 10.0...

Started by 2moonunit, November 08, 2015, 06:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2moonunit

[font face="arial"]I would like to see an aftermarket solution for adding a rear deck to the QS models and have noted a good amount of interest in researching ways to add one. My family has had both an 8.0 and now a 10.0 and love the trailer but have wanted the deck for bikes and gear.
I have a simple (perhaps too simple) solution that would possibly work that borrows engineering from windsurfing masts with a ferrule and pin connection. It would mean cutting the existing bumper stanchions off at the mid-point between the existing bumper and the camper body, adding crimp connections to the existing wiring to extend the wiring through a supplied connector, and drilling holes for the pins to affix it once the pieces are joined. My question is would the two existing bumper mounts be strong enough to support the ferrules and new deck extension and if so I think I'd buy one in a second if it could be had for under $500?...  As a bonus, those wanting to take it off for extended storage could do so and store the extension elsewhere. 

My only other thought for mounting the bikes and my canoe have been to add posts fixed to the sides and mounted to the frame at the bottom and side just below the line of the tarp when it is folded down that would allow Thule bars to span the box... These would be gapped about 1/4" from the sides to allow the tarp to snap on without interference and would also use a mount system on top that would be quick release.

Your target market would no doubt grow if you can include sports enthusiasts who like to bring lots of toys.

Thanks for your consideration,

[/font]

christianm

Hi! 

Thanks for the suggestion- and for being a faithful Livin Lite owner! 

After speaking with some of the guys here at Livin Lite, it sounds like the most deck extensions are added during production as a direct extension of the frame. The frame itself was not designed to be altered further and would likely not be able to hold more than 100-150lbs before it affected the tongue weight and the unit's tow-ability. 

We do however have some owners who have used www.prorac.com as a resource for adding additional outside storage for equipment. It is a unique site that may provide you with some answers for adding racks after market.

Hopefully, I have understood your suggestion/question correctly and found some helpful info. If I need to, I'm always happy to dig up more in-depth answers :-)

Thanks!

Christian