• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

When will web site be updated?

Started by farmboy, October 21, 2015, 10:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fasteddieb

One head's up...

I believe the 21BHS used to list a tongue weight of 440 lbs. I used that figure when choosing our Flex as a tow vehicle - it has a maximum of 450 lb tongue weight allowed with weight distribution hitch.

I was kind of shocked when I actually weighed the tongue of my 21BHS and it was well over 600 lbs., and that was fairly lightly loaded. We had the receiver on the Flex reinforced, and have towed 9,000+ miles without incident, but still do not like exceeding Ford's recommendations by that much.

I notice the tongue weight of the 21BHS is now listed at 308 lbs. Albeit with a double asterisk directing the reader to a disclaimer.

I'd suggest that figure more accurately reflect an actual delivered tongue weight, with battery and full propane tanks. I strongly suspect it's well north of 308 lbs as typically delivered.

In a worst case scenario, this could be an issue for someone purchasing an inadequate tow vehicle in anticipation of a purchase, or might even come up in a lawsuit were an accident or damage to occur because of an owner assuming the published tongue weight from the site was at least approximately correct.

Just a thought...
Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost

christianm

[quote source="/post/18324/thread" timestamp="1454512914" author="@fasteddieb"]One head's up...

I believe the 21BHS used to list a tongue weight of 440 lbs. I used that figure when choosing our Flex as a tow vehicle - it has a maximum of 450 lb tongue weight allowed with weight distribution hitch.

I was kind of shocked when I actually weighed the tongue of my 21BHS and it was well over 600 lbs., and that was fairly lightly loaded. We had the receiver on the Flex reinforced, and have towed 9,000+ miles without incident, but still do not like exceeding Ford's recommendations by that much.

I notice the tongue weight of the 21BHS is now listed at 308 lbs. Albeit with a double asterisk directing the reader to a disclaimer.

I'd suggest that figure more accurately reflect an actual delivered tongue weight, with battery and full propane tanks. I strongly suspect it's well north of 308 lbs as typically delivered.

In a worst case scenario, this could be an issue for someone purchasing an inadequate tow vehicle in anticipation of a purchase, or might even come up in a lawsuit were an accident or damage to occur because of an owner assuming the published tongue weight from the site was at least approximately correct.

Just a thought...[/quote]Makes sense to me! 

Just copied and pasted your suggestion and sent it to the guy who does our web stuff. Thanks for letting me know! I would have never had noticed or caught that! 

charliem

[quote source="/post/18324/thread" timestamp="1454512914" author="@fasteddieb"]

[/quote][font size="3"]Eddie,

Not sure where you're finding 308# unless we're seeing a realtime update. I see the BHS spec'd at 480# TW as of 2/3/16 at 1155 Central. What is interesting is the 16TBS and 16DBS have the exact same dry and tongue weight specs, but one only has a single axle. Anybody believe that?
[/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

fasteddieb

[quote source="/post/18331/thread" timestamp="1454522123" author="@charliem"][quote source="/post/18324/thread" timestamp="1454512914" author="@fasteddieb"]I notice the tongue weight of the 21BHS is now listed at 308 lbs. Albeit with a double asterisk directing the reader to a disclaimer.

[/quote][font size="3"]Eddie,

Not sure where you're finding 308# unless we're seeing a realtime update. I see the BHS spec'd at 480# TW as of 2/3/16 at 1155 Central. What is interesting is the 16TBS and 16DBS have the exact same dry and tongue weight specs, but one only has a single axle. Anybody believe that?
[/font][/quote]Just now took this screenshot after navigating to the 21BHS page from the main "All Models" page:

Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost

charliem

Quote from: @fasteddieb" source="/post/18332/thread" timestamp="1454522995[quote timestamp="1454522123" source="/post/18331/thread" author="@charliem"][font size="3"]Eddie,

[/font]
Just now took this screenshot after navigating to the 21BHS page from the main "All Models" page:

[img src="https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1462/24703769601_4100ee0935_z.jpg"]

[/quote]Now that's really interesting. Here's what I see right now from the same site. Weird!!!!!

[attachment id="1157" thumbnail="1"]

Charlie
NW Florida

david

LL needs to do some serious thinking about what they publish. A 308 lb. tongue weight with a 3,618 lb dry weight means that the trailer violates one of the basic principles of trailer stability: keep the tongue weight at 10% or more of trailer weight. From looking at those specs, I wouldn't buy that trailer.

David
David M

16TBS towed with a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder

fasteddieb

Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost

charliem

[quote source="/post/18335/thread" timestamp="1454523989" author="@fasteddieb"]Something to do with caching?[/quote][font size="3"]Apparently so. If I do a fresh search for LL on google and then go to the 21BHS site I get the 308# version. Makes you wonder how to ever get the real current info  :'( [/font]

Charlie
NW Florida

charliem

[font size="3"]So if I do a Google search for LL and follow their links I get the apparently new 308# TW. But if I bookmark that EXACT site or type it into the browser directly I get the older 480# TW. Something about different Domain Name Servers and caching. Arrrrrgh!

But David's right. If the 308# is correct it becomes iffy for an unloaded trailer. Even with 20# propane and a 67# battery right on the ball it's still just at 10%. Add to that 6 gal of water in the WH behind the axles and your under.
[/font]

Charlie
NW Florida

admin

@charliem, some browser will have a local cache of a site to help speed up response times when returning to bookmarked pages. I'm guessing that is what is impacting you. When coming from a google search I believe you are hitting the live (current) version.

charliem

[quote timestamp="1454526330" source="/post/18341/thread" author="@admin"]@charliem , some browser will have a local cache of a site to help speed up response times when returning to bookmarked pages. I'm guessing that is what is impacting you. When coming from a google search I believe you are hitting the live (current) version.[/quote][font size="3"]I thought of that, but I've got FireFox set to clear the cache when I exit. I also ran a cleanup routine before I tried it again. I think it's an issue with different DNSs caching different versions. Cox uses different DNSs and/or caches than Google etc. I hope it all settles out in a few days. That said, 308# TW is awfully light for a 21. [/font]

Charlie
NW Florida

gbpack

Guys - not sure what has been happening here.  The hitch weight of the 21BHS is listed as 480# on the website right now and I can attest to that personally with ours. That number is correct. Whatever was shown earlier was an error. They are having problems with updating their website. No problems with recommending that trailer to people.

christianm

Quote from: @gbpack" source="/post/18349/thread" timestamp="1454548440Guys - not sure what has been happening here.  The hitch weight of the 21BHS is listed as 480# on the website right now and I can attest to that personally with ours. That number is correct. Whatever was shown earlier was an error. They are having problems with updating their website. No problems with recommending that trailer to people.
Ah- I wondered if that might happen! 

As soon as I let them know that the number needed to be updated, they changed it on the website. However, sometimes the updates can take as long as an hour or two to be completely active. . We had a similar issue when launching the new CrossRoads website. It was live and updated, but took a bit for folks to ALWAYS get the updated version when they logged on. 

Should be ok now though! 

fasteddieb

It now says 494 lbs "Hitch Weight" for the 21BHS.

I wonder if that indicates a real change from the number shown, 440 lbs, when we bought ours, or just a more realistic estimate of delivered weight.
Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost

charliem

[font size="3"]I notice the current (2/6/16) LL website, for the 21s and other standards and options pages , lists:

"*ONE PIECE SINGLE ? PLY SUPERFLEX OLEFIN BASED ROOF MEMBRANE W/ AZDEL DECKING"

What does this mean? Is this new or has it always been there and I missed it. Does this have implications re the aluminum roofing? If this is an interior membrane it's good. If this is a rubber roof it's BAD.
[/font]

Charlie
NW Florida