• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

First camping trip bloopers...

Started by runningwriter, August 16, 2014, 05:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dh50

[quote source="/post/11384/thread" timestamp="1432611323" author="@whoofit"]Not our first trip nor really a blooper but our camp neighbor couldn't stop laughing.

Last weekend we were at the ocean. We were setup parallel to the road with our water side to it. I had rinsed the dog using the outdoor shower and the coil hose with the sprayer supplied by LL. I was packing to leave and a neighbor was chatting away about how solar panels were a scam or something. I was nodding and not paying too much attention.

There was a bike race that day. Bikes flying by for several minutes. I disconnected the coil hose and held the sprayer up in the air to drain it. A rider came whizzing by and mumbled something. My neighbor lost his breath he was laughing so hard. I'm a little hard of hearing so I asked him what the deal was? He chuckled: "The biker said No Thanks!"[/quote]Took you to be a 'hoser'....(not from Indy!) (rofl)

whoofit

drdave

So...before departing for a quick overnight at a state park CG nearby I hitched up, plugged the trailer lights in, safety chains, breakaway cable, stowed the door step, disconnected from shore power, did a walkaround to make sure I didn't miss anything, then proceded to pull my trailer over the wheel chocks.   No damage, and nobody saw me...    pride hurt nonetheless....

dh50

[quote source="/post/11581/thread" timestamp="1432768867" author="@tlbones"]So...before departing for a quick overnight at a state park CG nearby I hitched up, plugged the trailer lights in, safety chains, breakaway cable, stowed the door step, disconnected from shore power, did a walkaround to make sure I didn't miss anything, then proceded to pull my trailer over the wheel chocks.   No damage, and nobody saw me...    pride hurt nonetheless....[/quote]When all else fails, just smile and wave, Boys, just smile and wave..... 8-)

pinstriper

More from the blooper reel...

So yesterday we're lounging in the campsite, and these three teenage boys are walking through with their dachshund. And our dogs (Norwegian Elkhounds) start barking and we tell them to be quiet, and one of the boys calls out "your dogs are beautiful!" which is only about the tenth time that happened this trip - people really do stop us all the time.

So to be polite, I complimented them on their dog. "I love your little wiener."

Count to 3. Shit.

"Wait...I mean... I love your little wiener DOG! And really, we both needed that clarified."

So keep this in mind: It's not about the blooper. It's all how you recover.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

cadman70454

[quote source="/post/11812/thread" timestamp="1433111652" author="@pinstriper"][/quote][p]
[/p][p]
[/p][p]We were preparing to tow our 22' Lindenburg sailboat to race in Sanford, Fl.  The boat trailer had a 1 7/8" ball hitch so I went to my truck to look in my tool box to see if I had both my 1 7/8" and 2" hitch balls.  So then I yelled out to my friend across the boat yard, "I've got both my balls in the truck".  It caused heads to spin.  My mouth tends to operate independently of my brain.  30 years later, I'm still asked if both my balls are in the truck.
[/p]

nixter68

My 9 year old daughter and I just took our maiden voyage, here are a few from that and from our initial driveway camping.

Forgot to put the jacks down while practice camping in the driveway and went to sit together on the bed and cuddle, only to be suddenly moving in a way that convinced me we were having an earthquake. I can only imagine the delight of my neighbors as they first witnessed a bucking trailer followed by the loud exclamations of "I think we are having an earthquake!!" Nope, just losing my mind in the driveway.

I managed to hook up the trailer successfuly and tow it with now trouble. The trouble arrived when I attempted to back it  into our campground spot. It eventually turned into me desperately explaining to the incredibly patient man trying to get by that it was our first time camping,  and that I really had practiced backing up before we came,  and would you mind guiding me into the site? And finally just asking, please, would you just do it for me. Just go abead and get into my car and drive it and don't mind my nine year old in the backseat, she has been told not to speak for the last hour as cause Mommy needs to concentrate.

Then there was the time that the pin wasnt in the wheel jack and  as I was cranking the handle to rasise it, it colappsed as the pin ws not all the way in. SO LUCKY that it did not land on my foot. Then came the fun of figuring out how I was going to lift it up with out blowing out my back. Which evolved into me driving around till I found someone to take mercy on me and help me.

Then of course there was the thrilling wrestle match while lowering the tent which I lost once I realized I had failed to remove the stabilizer bar inside.

And finally, the discovery that the back bed was shearing off near  the piano hinge due to the rambunctions high jinks of a six year old and two ten year olds who used subjective listening skills when repeadedly warned not to jump around or bounce in the  trailer, especially on the beds.

So, I can't wait to do it again.

pjcd

My friend had a camper many years ago, one of the early slide outs. Back then they would put cabinets next to the slide, well he left the door of the cabinet open and when he retracted the slide it took it off, I thought it was pretty funny, he failed to see the humor in it. Everyone has first time camping stories that make for great  conversations around the camp fire. I had a trailer tire go flat just to replace it with the spare, which was just as flat.

farmboy

On one of our early trips, we were leaving the campground in the dark.   I was worried about getting everything on the checklist completed AND not disturbing other campers.  Fortunately, our site was pretty far from other campers, and in a heavily wooded area  that I hoped would block our lights from hitting other sites.    As I was about to pull out,  my wife, bless her heart, calmly asked me "isn't the awning supposed to be in" ?   Another few feet, and a large tree would have had an awning stuck in it's branches.   "Retract awning' was on the list but I had overlooked it.  Never happened again.  Knock on wood.     

charleschapman

I make it a point to not unhook the safety chains until the wheels are chocked and checked. I give It moment to "settle" to make sure it will not roll away. Back when we had our 6.0 it rolled on me.

pygrydr

First camping season blooper:

When winterizing my 2016 CL 16TB, I realized I had opened the cold water valve completely into the hot water line.  Now I know why my "hot" water in the shower was "warm" and not "hot"!!!