• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

Can we create a PDI Check list for LivinLite campers?

Started by funpilot, July 22, 2014, 10:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ufixit

We recently completed the maiden voyage with our new 14DB: a two-night stay at a full-hookup campground at the beach. We were able to test just about every aspect of the trailer, so you might want to consider checking for the issues we discovered. Here's what I would suggest:

1. Check that the outside cargo doors open and close easily, and inspect seals to make sure they are not torn.
2. Check interior lighting and switches. Tap gently on light fixtures and main wall switch while looking for any flickering or dimming of the lights.
3. Connect to shore power and check that all electrical appliances using it are powered, including main battery charging.
4. Ask the dealer to check the adjustment of all the brakes and confirm brake wiring - or have dealer affirm that this has already been done.
5. Check that the toilet seals so that the bowl holds water - if no water is supplied to the unit use a cup of water to test.
6. Carefully inspect any after-market work performed by the dealer to confirm it was done per manufacturer's directions.

tincan

OK, going to pick my trailer up in a couple weeks.  Checking this thread out, it is a bit much, the list is too large.  I think some of these may be a bit over the top. So, what is actually necessary?

- Fit and function of all moving parts, doors, sofa, fans, bed, slide etc.
- Undercarriage inspection
- Functionality of lights, inside and out
- all documentation
- check burners, microwave, AC, refrigerator, on/off, and water heater(if water is available). I am not waiting for hot water with multi function system I can check for electric with multimeter and see the burner ignites, again if there is water.
- check tires, obviously you can't foresee a recall, but 5 minutes on a smart phone and you know if the tires have been recalled.  More importantly you need to look at the manufacture date code on the tire.
- check for existing leaks

If there are problems, I have to find a way to resolve them or not purchase.  I can't realistically drive to and from Iowa, from Kentucky, multiple times; it is 7.5 hours one way.  Minor things will be handled by me(i.e. lose plumbing connections), major things will be worked out one way or another.

Maybe I am looking at this all wrong, maybe it should be a fine tooth comb inspection, maybe it should take hours.  Who actually spends the time to get financing, insurance and in this case out of state registration completed just to cancel the purchase at the last second because there is no water to test the hot water heater?  

Thanks

charliem

[font size="3"]Tincan,

That's a tough one. You have to balance common sense with due diligence. Rumor tells me you're an ME, so I have confidence in your innate ability  :P  Consider these:

[ol type="decimal"][li][font size="3"]Did you order a new build from the factory or has the unit been sitting on a dealer's lot? If sitting, any water leak
problems may have developed secondary consequences. Thank goodness for aluminum.
[/font][/li][li]Most items can be seen by normal visual inspection. Watch for water damage on inside walls. As for under the trailer inspection, unless something is falling off you probably won't catch it.[/li][li]Tires are always an issue. Take the time to understand where/how tires are date coded. Then check the date codes. I'd be concerned if they were a year or more old.[/li][li]To the extent possible check the functionality of major appliances. Try for a water hookup and some water in FW tank. Be sure to mostly empty the FW tank before leaving. KY has plenty of water; no need to haul the weight. Test faucets, pump, all lights, microwave, stove top, furnace, A/C. [font size="3"]Most of these should be demonstrated by the dealer on walk through. [/font]Your check of the fridge will be limited to lights on the control panel and the interior light. Actual cooling will be TBD.
[/li][li]Water heater will be mostly TBD, but you've got that covered.[/li][li]Look for any obvious counter top/back splash delamination. Some have had trouble. Your call as to when/how/where to fix.
[/li][li]When you get home check for gray water vent problems.
 Scan our posts for details. Impractical on a dealer's lot, but
definitely before you spend many nights out.[/li][li]If you plan a WDH consider adding the side bolts to the ball coupler. Details on this forum.
[/li][li][font size="3"]How close is your nearest Camping World? With the
scarcity of CL dealers, LL has been very receptive to having warranty
work done by CWs. Also maybe other Thor dealers in your area. The
important point is a well equipped shop.[/font][/li][/ol]

[/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

ufixit

As helpful as the checklists can be, finding every issue during a PDI is unrealistic. I scoured this forum, took notes, and when we picked up up the unit our dealer actually did spend over four hours with us demonstrating and testing each component (talk about a dealer going above and beyond - thanks D&H RV Center!). Yet only one of the six defects found thus far was identified at that PDI. The others were found after towing the camper home, and still more when we took it on the first overnight trip to a full-hookup RV park. Not everyone is so lucky as to have a good LL dealer located 10-minutes from their front door, but for those who have the option of saving hundreds on the sales price, or purchasing from a reputable dealer located closer to home, I think they are likely to be happier with the latter choice.

leslie

Charles in NC has an excellent point. Whether or not people use a dealer close to them, I think it is a good idea to camp out somewhere close to the dealer to try out all the systems and start to get comfortable with the new camper. That way, if you find something that needs work, or if you just forget how to do something, you can get right back to the dealer.
Located in Kentucky and Florida at present

tincan

ME (Mechanical Engineer) as charged.  I am pretty handy with wood and metal, I almost have a full wood shop in my garage and I work with stainless tool fabrication at work. I have spent some time working plastics as well, and as a cabinet maker/installer.

Trailer is an early 2015 production model; which means made in 2014, no painted exterior trim and the XL package from then was different than now.  
- Tires are a concern, and obviously leaks.
- Extra bolt will have to wait, this I can easily do at home, dealer might I can ask, but I would not be surprised to have them say no.

Closest dealer is 2.5 hours and closest CW about 2 hours.  

CharlieM, your point about common sense and due diligence is true. I will be dragging a friend along, someone with a fair amount of knowledge.  He will be a big help. If I do my part, and am satisfied, then anything else can be dealt with as it is found.

Charlie in NC, yes closer would be better, but at this point, my closest dealer will not have a camper until September, too late to camp much this year. kudos to your dealer for such a thorough inspection and demonstration.

Thanks for your help all.

tincan

Tire date code and decoding is simple for those of you who want to know:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

This link from tire rack clearly explains the date code system in place from 2000 on. 

Happy tire inspection all!

char

[quote source="/post/2107/thread" timestamp="1406034712" author="@funpilot"][p]As a starting point, I found these two attached general check lists.[/p][p]
[/p][p]I would add:[/p][p]Check your personal list of factory added options[/p][p]Are tires on a recall list?[/p][p]
[/p][p]
[/p][p]What would you add or delete?  If there is interest to this, there are clearly very skilled contributors here to take the lead on this, so please step up if you want to.  [/p][p]
[/p][/quote]

char

[quote timestamp="1429213473" author="@charlesscharlau" source="/post/9441/thread"]We recently completed the maiden voyage with our new 14DB: a two-night stay at a full-hookup campground at the beach. We were able to test just about every aspect of the trailer, so you might want to consider checking for the issues we discovered. Here's what I would suggest:

1. Check that the outside cargo doors open and close easily, and inspect seals to make sure they are not torn.
2. Check interior lighting and switches. Tap gently on light fixtures and main wall switch while looking for any flickering or dimming of the lights.
3. Connect to shore power and check that all electrical appliances using it are powered, including main battery charging.
4. Ask the dealer to check the adjustment of all the brakes and confirm brake wiring - or have dealer affirm that this has already been done.
5. Check that the toilet seals so that the bowl holds water - if no water is supplied to the unit use a cup of water to test.
6. Carefully inspect any after-market work performed by the dealer to confirm it was done per manufacturer's directions.[/quote]

char

Sorry I do not think I am doing this site correctly.  Can anyone tell me if there is a facebook group for livin lite we are interested in either the the 11fk or the next up with bunk beds.