Author Topic: Change coupler to a collar style ?  (Read 1053 times)

pinstriper

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Change coupler to a collar style ?
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:15:46 PM »
[p]So, first trip with the new trailer this weekend, and about 5 miles out the trailer hopped off the ball. First time that's ever happened to me. [/p][p]
[/p][p]I had checked the connection by using the jack to lift the back of the tow vehicle, something I've always done to make sure I'm really on the ball.[/p][p]
[/p][p]I feel damned lucky the trailer landed on the jack, and I was on the trailer brake actuator instead of just slamming on the brakes, as that kept the trailer from plowing into the back of the tow vehicle.[/p][p]
[/p][p]I hooked up again, and drove another 5 miles directly to the RV dealership. The pavement had ground about an inch of metal off the bottom of the jack tube. Tech replaced the jack free of charge and then adjusted a nut inside the coupler, which he said was "a little loose, I tightened it up to make sure".[/p][p]
[/p][p]I am 95% sure it was the loose adjustment inside the coupler of this new trailer, and NOT error on my part, because of the test I did to lift the rear of the tow vehicle. I have read elsewhere about loose adjustments leading to coupler failures.[/p][p]
[/p][p]Anyway, I've never been real happy with the "wedge/lever" type of coupler. My horse trailer has a side gate style with a spring-loaded collar that holds the gate closed. No way you can miss whether it is engaged, and there's no adjustment to be out of adjustment. Engagement under the ball is 360deg, not just a tab behind the ball.[/p][p]
[/p][p]Any thoughts about changing the coupler ? Anyone else experience an out-of-adjustment coupler leading to the coupler jumping off the ball ?[/p][p]
[/p][p]Talk about pucker factor - I was quite nervous the rest of the trip out and back.[/p][p]
[/p]
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

tinkeringtechie

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Tinkering Techie
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:32:07 AM »
Sorry to hear about that. I know exactly what it feels like. We had a similar episode with our previous trailer. In our case the electric cable had actually nudged the coupler lever to release it. After that I always locked the lever with a bar lock and never had problems again. So... my natural question: Were you using a lever lock?

Second question (I have to ask): Are you sure you have a 2" ball and not a 1 7/8" ball? They look almost the same but the smaller won't fit correctly.
2014 Camplite 21BHS

2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD 5.7L

pinstriper

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:05:17 AM »
[quote source="/post/275/thread" timestamp="1395667927" author="@tinkeringtechie"]Sorry to hear about that. I know exactly what it feels like. We had a similar episode with our previous trailer. In our case the electric cable had actually nudged the coupler lever to release it. After that I always locked the lever with a bar lock and never had problems again. So... my natural question: Were you using a lever lock?

Second question (I have to ask): Are you sure you have a 2" ball and not a 1 7/8" ball? They look almost the same but the smaller won't fit correctly.[/quote][p]I had a key-locked pin in place.[/p][p]
[/p][p]The ball is a 2" ball. Yep, second question I asked. (First was "Honey, where's my other pair of pants ?")[/p][p]
[/p][p]
[/p]
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

2014 14DBS
2015 Hobie Outback

tinkeringtechie

• Administrator
  • Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Tinkering Techie
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 12:37:41 PM »
Sounds like the loose coupler is the culprit then. I've never swapped one out, but luckily camplites use bolt-on couplers, so if you can find a bolt-on Collar-lock coupler then it should be an easy swap. A quick google search for "bolt-on collar-lok coupler" didn't return much...
2014 Camplite 21BHS

2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD 5.7L

pinstriper

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 02:01:11 AM »
Yeah, they all seem to be weld-on. Sigh.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

2014 14DBS
2015 Hobie Outback