• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

I need ideas

Started by admin, March 05, 2014, 10:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

A long term goal of mine is to go on a cross country trip. Being that I live in NC and all up and down the east coast it seems like it would be fun to see the rest of this great land. The question now is where do I want to go? What are some must see locations both from a sightseeing perspective and camping?

Some ideas that popped up so far are:
The grand canyon.
The Hover Dam.
4 wheeling in Moab.
The redwood forest.
Yellowstone.

It would be awesome if I could plan a trip that visits as many locations as possible over a 2 or 3 week trip.

-Sean

tinkeringtechie

We went to the coastal redwoods last year and to Yellowstone the year before that. They were both amazing. I had been to both as a child (many times to the redwoods). Yellowstone is out of this world, and has so many unusual things to see. You WILL get stuck behind buffalo at some point during your trip (which is both good and bad). The camping itself is decent, but I don't recall having hookups at any point, so keep that in mind.
[attachment id="12" thumbnail="1"]
The redwoods on the other hand, are one of my favorite places to camp and hike. My favorite campground there is Hidden Springs. So cozy and quiet that you forget there are even other people there. The trees are amazing, but the best part is hiking through trails surrounded by clovers and ferns so dense that it looks like green carpet. I'd highly recommend both of them.
2014 Camplite 21BHS

2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD 5.7L

djsamuel

We've been to the Grand Canyon (north and south rims), Moab, Yellowstone and the Redwoods.  All are great.  In fact for our 30th anniversary, my wife and I will be heading back to the South rim of the Grand Canyon and then to Moab. We'll be staying at Trailer Village at the Grand Canyon, so that should be nice.

Another place we love to go is Townsend, TN, right at the Smoky Mountains, and Cades Cove.  That is a great QUIET town.  We've been there several times since it is closer to us than other places.  We enjoy Townsend much more than the Gatlinburg area.

Other places in Utah that are not to be missed are Bryce Canyon and Zion.  Arizona is also terrific.  The Sedona area is beautiful (be sure to ride the Verde Canyon Railroad), and the are along I-40 is interesting (Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, etc).

We live near Disney World and enjoy the campground at Disney (Fort Wilderness).  Not as nature-centric as the National Parks, but still very nice and fun.

I'm editing this to add Mesa Verde, CO, as well as Durango, CO for the Durango and Silverton Railroad (amazing).  Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico is another place.  Guess I could go on and on.
Camplite 21BHS / Ram 1500

Central Florida

admin

We are planning a trip to Fort Wilderness this summer. I practically grew up at Fort Wilderness and cant wait to go back.

vmcmn

[quote source="/post/51/thread" timestamp="1394212838" author="@djsamuel"]

Another place we love to go is Townsend, TN, right at the Smoky Mountains, and Cades Cove.  That is a great QUIET town.  We've been there several times since it is closer to us than other places.  We enjoy Townsend much more than the Gatlinburg area.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cosby campground on the north end of the GSMNP is an great campground also. It's one of the best kept secrets in the park in that its only 20 miles or so north of Gatlinburg and that it is never crowded like Cades Cove and Elkmont. You also have some buffer between you and your neighbor,which I like.Plus the rate is cheaper than those campgrounds. I have tent camped there a couple of times and loved it and plan on taking my QS up there sometime. Here's a link to it.
http://www.recreation.gov/tn/Cosby/Campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70960
[/quote]
Tim

Tallahassee,Fl.

2011 QS 8.1

Towed with either 2007 Chevy HHR

or 1994 GMC Sierra 1500

djsamuel

[quote source="/post/58/thread" timestamp="1394242686" author="@admin"]We are planning a trip to Fort Wilderness this summer. I practically grew up at Fort Wilderness and cant wait to go back.

[/quote]We really enjoy it. It's amazing how you can be so close to the crowds yet still feel like you're in an oasis. Be sure to have the breakfast buffet at Trails End restaurant. Ask for Ken as your server; the most positive person I've ever met.

Central Florida

djsamuel

[quote source="/post/61/thread" timestamp="1394250854" author="@vmcmn"][quote source="/post/51/thread" timestamp="1394212838" author="@djsamuel"]Another place we love to go is Townsend, TN, right at the Smoky Mountains, and Cades Cove.  That is a great QUIET town.  We've been there several times since it is closer to us than other places.  We enjoy Townsend much more than the Gatlinburg area.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cosby campground on the north end of the GSMNP is an great campground also. It's one of the best kept secrets in the park in that its only 20 miles or so north of Gatlinburg and that it is never crowded like Cades Cove and Elkmont. You also have some buffer between you and your neighbor,which I like.Plus the rate is cheaper than those campgrounds. I have tent camped there a couple of times and loved it and plan on taking my QS up there sometime. Here's a link to it.
http://www.recreation.gov/tn/Cosby/Campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70960
[/quote][/quote]Thanks. I'll need to check that out.

Central Florida

pinstriper

If you get all the way out west, Crater Lake, OR is something to consider.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback