• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Solar Eclipse Camping

Started by daplumbr, December 01, 2016, 05:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daplumbr

There is a total eclipse of the sun on August 21, 2017. The link below shows the path of totality across the U.S. I would love to be in a location to see it, preferably while camping! If anyone in the path has any ideas about a place to camp that has good viewing ( typically clear August weather, no mountains, spots with no trees, etc.) post some ideas. We'll be in Maine early August, but could drop down south into SC, TN, or KY by the 21st to see it. If anyone actually lives in the path, invite us all in for an eclipse barbecue/campout.  ;)

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

david

I opened the Google Map that you referenced, zoomed in to the national forest along the NC/Tennesee border, then opened the Allstays app on my iPad. There are a dozen USFS and private campgrounds along the center line of totality. Take your pick.

David
David M

16TBS towed with a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder

daplumbr

Yup, the areas abound with camping! I hope someone chimes in with experience on good ones. 

leslie

The Orchard Dale Farm near Hopkinsville, Kentucky is calling itself the epicenter of the eclipse. It is planning to open for dry camping, viewing parties, lectures and an arts and crafts show.  LL Rally?
Located in Kentucky and Florida at present

pinstriper

[quote timestamp="1481248395" author="@leslie" source="/post/26315/thread"]The Orchard Dale Farm near Hopkinsville, Kentucky is calling itself the epicenter of the eclipse. It is planning to open for dry camping, viewing parties, lectures and an arts and crafts show.  LL Rally?[/quote]Beverly Beach SP and South Beach SP are both within the zone, y'all. Some of youse have stayed there last year.

This is where I'll probably* be: [a href="http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=18518.0"]http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=18518.0[/a]
[font size="1"]
* Probability no more than 20 %[/font]
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

daplumbr

[quote source="/post/26317/thread" author="@pinstriper" timestamp="1481250253"][quote source="/post/26315/thread" author="@leslie" timestamp="1481248395"]The Orchard Dale Farm near Hopkinsville, Kentucky is calling itself the epicenter of the eclipse. It is planning to open for dry camping, viewing parties, lectures and an arts and crafts show.  LL Rally?[/quote]Beverly Beach SP and South Beach SP are both within the zone, y'all. Some of youse have stayed there last year.

This is where I'll probably* be: [a href="http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=18518.0"]http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=18518.0[/a]
[font size="1"]
* Probability no more than 20 %[/font][/quote]Wow, Beverly Beach. That was one of our favorite campgrounds of the entire '16 summer trip. Too far for next summer, but it would be very cool to watch the eclipse from the beach!

leslie

I am trying to find out some info about Orchard Dale Farm, but no luck so far.  On the other hand, Casey Jones Distillery has RV parking available for eclipse weekend. The distillery says they are within yards of the center of the total eclipse. Hopkinsville is planning a huge weekend event out of this, and some hotels are fully booked already, so once I get some info we should make plans. I am waiting on a call back from the distillery.

And I have a question for pinstriper - just where in Oregon do you think you can find a virgin???

Thanks to Merlin for bringing this topic to my attention. This should be a lot of fun.

charleschapman

Lived Hoptown back in the 80s when I was with the 101st. Nice town.

leslie

I have been doing some research, and folks, if you are going to just about anywhere to catch the solar eclipse, you are going to open your wallets. First, the bad news. I have contacted several places for campsites. One farm that has a lot of nice events planned on their property wants $500 for dry camping for Saturday and Sunday nights, with departures planned for right after the conclusion of the eclipse Monday afternoon. Orchard Dale Farm has decided not to proceed with dry camping for the weekend. I called the state fairgrounds and left a message, but they have not yet returned my call. The city of Hopkinsville's Trail of Tears Park has electric only campsites, with water availability, and one visit over the weekend for a honey wagon for $75/night, with a 3 night minimum.

Casey Jones Distillery is right on the line for the total eclipse, and they are charging $150 for dry camping Saturday and Sunday nights, $35 per night for each additional night before or after. They will charge $150 even if you can't make it until Sunday, because the space will be reserved. They expect to fill their property, and have arranged with their neighbor to take the overflow at the same rates. Casey Jones Distillery makes moonshine - it's legal now - from a recipe handed down for several generations. To make reservations, contact Peg Hays, phone: 270-839-9988, email: peghays55@gmail.com Peg will arrange for us to camp as a group. My husband and I are planning on going, and I am getting excited. Hopkinsville has activities starting on Thursday, and they haven't finished planning events. I can imagine this is what it will be like for many of the places on the line for the total eclipse.

What Peg told me about the distillery and the property: There will be free tours and tastings - they make several different moonshines, one of which is aged in barrels, similar to bourbon. The property is mostly level. They will be bringing in porta potties - oh joy! There is a pond with picnic tables that she recommends for viewing the eclipse. There is a bar on the property, and they will have lessons on making mixed drinks with moonshine. She said you can bring a raft and float on their pond while watching the eclipse. Hmm... moonshine, floating on the water, eclipse - what's not to like? The distillery is 10 minutes to town.

Tips about the eclipse: NASA sent a spokesperson this summer to help Hopkinsville prepare for the event. State Police are prepared to shut down I-65 and I-24 on Sunday if the roads become clogged. They are expecting people to stop along the interstate for the eclipse. Peg advises coming in no later than Saturday morning, due to the crowds.

Hopkinsville is in the southwestern part of Kentucky, with a population of about 30,000. They are expecting 100,000 people in town for the eclipse. Some links are posted below:

For information about events planned in Hopkinsville:
http://www.eclipseville.com

For the distillery:
http://www.caseyjonesdistillery.com
http://www.facebook.com/caseyjonesdistillery/

daplumbr

Looks like we may be taking the suggestions of @david and going for USFS camping or the like. What @leslie describes sounds "crowded" to say the least! We lived in Murray, KY (near Hopkinsville) for several years in the '80s and I guess we'll look up some areas we remember from that time to see what might be available. 

leslie

I think it's going to be impossible to avoid crowds, which is why I like the options at the distillery. I can just stay at my camper, go down to the pond, or join the crowd at the bar.

leslie

Update on going to Hopkinsville KY for the solar eclipse: the manager of the state fairgrounds returned my call. For parking, which he defined as dry camping, they are charging $160 per night, for as many nights as you want to stay. Potable water will be available for campers to fill their tanks. Yowza!

If anybody knows of someplace right on the total eclipse line that won't be charging so much, I would like to know. The next total solar eclipse visible from the US will be in 2024. Carbondale, IL will be on the line, and the city is starting to make plans for that now.

I expect to catch up with Merlin at the Maine LL Rally, so I will be interested to  hear what his plans for USFS camping for the eclipse will be.

fasteddieb

Take a look at how close Lenoir City, TN is to the path of totality.

By August 2017 we should have room for several RV's or travel trailers. Possibly one or two with 30A service and water. Room for a few more boodockers with advance notice.

If it's too far from the path of totality, our Flex can seat 7 and we could carpool.

Just some initial thoughts.
Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost

leslie

Today, we took the Lenoir City exit off I-75 to buy some gas on our final trip south to complete our move to Florida. Is Lenoir City going to be as crowded as Hopkinsville KY? It should really be HOT in August. We are going to make our plans for next year starting in January.

fasteddieb

Leslie,

Right now what's cool is that about 3 miles from all that "West Knoxville" traffic and congestion you are really quite out in the boonies.

So, for now, kinda best of both worlds. Lots of amenities nearby when you need them, and a feeling of isolation when you don't.

At least for now!
Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost