• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

Member ideas for saving our forum

Started by pygrydr, November 18, 2016, 01:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pygrydr

Well, I really value and appreciate our LivinLite Campers Forum.  I have learned much information about my camper; which has added to my overall satisfaction and enjoyment of it's use.

So, what can I/we do to help save our forum?

Regards,

Galen

hogtyd

I think it would be helpful to know what the annual hosting cost is, in order to determine if "self-funding" via member donations would be sufficient to keep it afloat in it's current form. A couple of other sites I frequent have been successful at setting up a donation system using PayPal in order to cover the hosting fees. I know I'd be willing to make a donation towards those costs to help keep the site running.

Graham

charliem

[font size="3"]From previous experience I have learned to keep originals of any and all pictures I post. [/font][font size="3"]Last time we went through this it was painful to recover all my images, and that was hundreds of images ago! [/font][font size="3"]Since this forum does not provide a method of referencing a previously uploaded file I find I need to repost if a subject comes up again.
[/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

leslie

I did not know our member forum was in danger. Where else is this discussed? Sorry for being out of touch - busy preparing for move to Florida
Located in Kentucky and Florida at present

admin

When I originally worked with LL on a proposal for hosting services they chose to go with an 'Enterprise Level' plan. To put this into perspective most hosting at this level can run from between $1200 to $2400 per year. Running a private server is far cheaper if there is no cost for hardware or network connectivity but that is not realistic in most cases. Then there are more middle of the road type solutions like spinning up a hosted system on Amazon. This is where we would then install and maintain our own forum platform software. All options have drastically different pros and cons and varying degrees of time requirements to adequately administer.

admin

@leslie, this is new information I released today as we are nearing a critical point and I didn't want to catch everyone off guard.

fasteddieb

Right now I'm seeing ads at the top for Chrysler and Dawn soap, and at the bottom for the World Chess Championship.

Are those presumed ad dollars insufficient to maintain the site? If so, I'd be fine with annual dues.
Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost

admin

Currently those ads fall short of fully funding the hosting fees. If they would at least cover the cost then I wouldn't have even mentioned any of this.

gbpack

We find tremendous value (and entertainment!) in this forum and would be willing to put up some money on an annual basis in order to keep it running. I'm sure that many others would as well, so hopefully we can figure something out. Thanks Sean!

gnies

The forum http://aluminiumcamperforum.com/  is available and has no funding problems. I would be willing to welcome the users of this forums if they want to come over :)

djsamuel

First step is to go to the [a href="https://www.livinlite.com/contact/index.html"]LivinLite contact page.[/a]  I sent them a message stating how valuable this forum is; both to us as owners and to them as a company.  Lets become a squeaky wheel and see if they still care about supporting their customers.
Camplite 21BHS / Ram 1500

Central Florida

gbpack

admin

The more people to voice their support for our community the better.

admin

Another drawback to moving away from a hosted solution would be the lack of mobile support. Tapatalk would not be supported. Ideally we will find a solution that keeps on this hosted platform. I know I can move us to another server but the more I think about the drawbacks the less appealing it sounds.

idlerockfarm

Goodness.  I wouldn't have bought my camper if this forum didn't exist.  I had too many questions to even imagine myself talking to a dealer.  As a first-time camper customer, this forum got me to purchase and answered all my questions as I bungled along to comfort with my new 6.0.

If they want to sell campers to first-timers like me who have no friends or close family with campers or RVs, then this site is necessary.