• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Failed Frame Welds

Started by canuck, September 30, 2016, 02:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daplumbr

[quote source="/post/26103/thread" author="@david" timestamp="1480262436"][quote source="/post/26102/thread" author="@sandroad" timestamp="1480261519"]I appreciate this follow up. It made me realize I should get ours professionally inspected and not just rely on my semi-educated guess about welds. Especially in the critical tongue area. [/quote]There isn't much a "professional inspector" will do other than look for cracks, which you can do as well as he. And don't for a minute think that the average RV mechanic knows anything about aluminum welds.

David
[/quote]Generally I agree. But in my case I know someone who teaches welding as a profession and I trust his looking more than my looking. 

david

Quote from: @sandroad" source="/post/26105/thread" timestamp="1480271260[quote timestamp="1480262436" author="@david" source="/post/26103/thread"]There isn't much a "professional inspector" will do other than look for cracks, which you can do as well as he. And don't for a minute think that the average RV mechanic knows anything about aluminum welds.

David
Generally I agree. But in my case I know someone who teaches welding as a profession and I trust his looking more than my looking. [/quote]So would I. I was probably a bit flippant in my previous post (but not about the RV mechanic). A welding pro can make a general assessment of the strength of a weld even though it hasn't cracked yet. But the only way to really know is a dye penetrant test or an xray.

David
David M

16TBS towed with a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder

charliem

[font size="3"]I agree except when @david said " And don't for a minute think that the average RV mechanic knows anything about aluminum welds." The last three words are superfluous. [/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

redbox15

All the info I put on this site I do to help other owners Dave no matter who inspects your trailer it's still more eyes helping to spot bad welds and is much appreciated in my book.

canuck

Big Hello,

Before our site is closed down I thought I would let the remaining members know that our repair welds are doing great. We have traveled from Alberta to southern Arizona with no issues so far. Also, Thor has sent us a cheque for our out of pocket expenses.

This forum and all it's members have been fantastic! Look forward to seeing you all on the new site.

Happy Holidays!