• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

2017 8.5 x 26 Wiring Issues

Started by bryanawhite, September 30, 2016, 08:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bryanawhite

I just received my 8.5 x 26 VRV from Wisconsin (I live in Washington) and it has had some less than great wiring issues.

1.) The wires feeding the range hood were all pulled out of their connectors. I had to take the whole thing off and put new connectors on it. Soldered a couple for safe measure.

2.)  When I turned on the left turn signal, both tail lights flashed. When I turned on the right nothing. Thinking bad ground I started tracing it. Turns out, the left tail light wire (yellow) was wired to the left side tail light. It took some doing but I was able to get that light hooked up to the green wire controlling the right side.

3.) My last and currently unsolved issue, is all of the roof marker lights, front and rear are not working. I can't find out how to intersect the marker lights and the feeding circuit. I don't know the routing. Complicating this is all these LEDS are silicones to the trailer. So far I've only pulled one off but I can't get to the crimp connectors.

Anyone have any idea where the wires rout for the trailering lights to the roof?

Frustrating that this is all factory installation created issues. Manufacture date of August 2016.

pinstriper

Bummer, nothing that we experienced. But there's risk when buying from a dealer so far away, and I'm guessing the PDI was less than thorough, or didn't happen at all. Those are all things I had them demonstrate before we left the lot.

When buying remote, people really need to factor that in, and find some way to have a good PDI done, by someone who can be relied upon, which is difficult to arrange unless you happen to know someone in the area who knows something about RV's.

You can take it to a local dealer for warranty service even if you didn't buy it there.

Can anyone confirm that Camping World is an authorized warranty center ? I kick myself for forgetting to ask this during the rally. Or maybe I asked and I just forget the answer.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

bryanawhite

Quote from: @pinstriper" source="/post/25038/thread" timestamp="1475247657Bummer, nothing that we experienced. But there's risk when buying from a dealer so far away, and I'm guessing the PDI was less than thorough, or didn't happen at all. Those are all things I had them demonstrate before we left the lot.

When buying remote, people really need to factor that in, and find some way to have a good PDI done, by someone who can be relied upon, which is difficult to arrange unless you happen to know someone in the area who knows something about RV's.

You can take it to a local dealer for warranty service even if you didn't buy it there.

Can anyone confirm that Camping World is an authorized warranty center ? I kick myself for forgetting to ask this during the rally. Or maybe I asked and I just forget the answer.

bryanawhite

It is a bit disappointing.

I did fix the marker lights. Livin' Light didn't hook up the circuit at all in the rear. All of the lights were wired in parallel but the entire grouping wasn't energized. The running light wire bypassed the whole system.

I more blame the manufacture than the dealer. They should have some level of QC before it leaves their line. The wiring didn't come apart, it just wasn't done correctly.

Anyway, it's fixed. A lot of breakdowns in checking before it gets to the owner.  

Photo shows my splice to the running light circuit above the cargo door.

pinstriper

[quote timestamp="1475285737" source="/post/25058/thread" author="@bryanawhite"]It is a bit disappointing.

I did fix the marker lights. Livin' Light didn't hook up the circuit at all in the rear. All of the lights were wired in parallel but the entire grouping wasn't energized. The running light wire bypassed the whole system.

I more blame the manufacture than the dealer. They should have some level of QC before it leaves their line. The wiring didn't come apart, it just wasn't done correctly.

Anyway, it's fixed. A lot of breakdowns in checking before it gets to the owner.  

Photo shows my spice to the running light circuit above the cargo door.

[img src="http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161001/d75c94e3019645e8d666a6b8b8a3a8c8.jpg"]
[img src="http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161001/176512a39dcd429cd6e871c9be2a1c8c.jpg"][/quote]
Well, yeah it's the factory's fault. But it's also the dealer's. They should be doing an inspection when the unit arrives, so they can fix anything before a customer sees it. Nothing kills a sale like a customer finding a problem while browsing. They should also have done an inspection and prep before turning it over to you. Again, they should be trying to find the problem before you do.

Except a dealer that is shipping you a unit, or who knows you are coming in from far out of town and they won't have to hear it from you, then if they are a lying pigeon-gut sucking weasel of a skunk, they'll just hide it from you and know that you won't be bringing it back to make it their problem.

And you probably got charged for a Pre-Delivery Inspection. Check your paperwork.

A PDI that doesn't involve hooking up to power and water and flipping all the switches isn't much of a PDI.

Finally, if you took delivery without a good PDI, then it's kind of your fault, too. But the ultimate accountability is with the warranty, so you really need to find a warranty center. Even if this stuff was within your ability and willingness to fix, something else may crop up during the warranty period.

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

2014 14DBS
2015 Hobie Outback

brandonboss

Quality control seems to be almost non existent with livin lite. My outdoor light has been messed up since new and I have to have it fixed before next camping season. 3 leaks have been found thus far. I am missing screws in areas that hold on trim and some are broken off. Aluminum shavings everywhere. It sure seems like it would be easy to have someone check the trailers out before shipping them. Would probably take an hour to thoroughly go through a lot of it and make sure everything is working properly.

brandonboss

An inspection isn't always possible. I didn't order mine and I doubt the dealer would want to hold the trailer until I made my decision or could find someone to inspect it.  I had mine delivered to my house because I didn't have a dealer anywhere near me. Not only that but the whole point for me to buy a new trailer was so I didn't have to deal with fixing things all the time. I guess you can't avoid that either when buying new according to a lot of people in this group which is unfortunate. I still like my trailer and am hoping to have better luck with it in the future.

franks97224

I drove to Reno NV from Portland OR for my 2013 8518 and the dealer, Paramount, was great. They spent almost two hours going through every aspect of the trailer with me before I left for home. No extra charge. https://paramountautobody.com/livinlite.html

brandonboss

Thats great. My salesman (did the whole deal over the phone) was amazing. The dealer (funtown rv outside of portland) could have done its own check on the trailer but didn't. I had issues with it getting delivered on time and called the dealer. Got the run around. I called my salesman on his cell (he was off that day) and he called in and got everything done for me and had it delivered on time. He also had a brand new tv put into the unit because for some reason it was missing one (was used, I guess the guy bought it and traded it back in a month later for a camper) and that's why delivery was late. He said that they ordered a new tv and had to mount it before shipping it out. He called the day it was delivered and a few weeks later to see how I was liking the trailer. I told him I really liked it but I didn't have the tool to lower the stabilizer jacks. He expedited me the tool the next day. As a former car sales manager the guy was one of the best salesman I have ever encountered.

idlerockfarm

I'm curious which dealer in Wisconsin you bought from.

Agreed that things should be installed correctly at factory, but I also fault the dealer.

pinstriper

Quote from: @brandonboss" source="/post/25068/thread" timestamp="1475294484An inspection isn't always possible. I didn't order mine and I doubt the dealer would want to hold the trailer until I made my decision or could find someone to inspect it.  I had mine delivered to my house because I didn't have a dealer anywhere near me. Not only that but the whole point for me to buy a new trailer was so I didn't have to deal with fixing things all the time. I guess you can't avoid that either when buying new according to a lot of people in this group which is unfortunate. I still like my trailer and am hoping to have better luck with it in the future.

A friend bought a new house. He had them fixing minor stuff for a full year or more, and in fact they even pre-scheduled an inspection for 6 months, as it is usual to get "pops" in the drywall where a fastener just doesn't hold, or hit the stud near an edge etc. which don't show up right away until the house has gone through normal seasonal expansion and contraction. Cracks appear in corners, etc. They also dealt with some appliance and fixture failing. This on a $500k house.

Point being new does not mean no problems.

I would not think of handing over the check on a $25k+ purchase without an inspection.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

2014 14DBS
2015 Hobie Outback

bryanawhite

Quote from: @pinstriper" source="/post/25059/thread" timestamp="1475287035[quote timestamp="1475285737" source="/post/25058/thread" author="@bryanawhite"]It is a bit disappointing.

Photo shows my spice to the running light circuit above the cargo door.

[img src="http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161001/d75c94e3019645e8d666a6b8b8a3a8c8.jpg"]
[img src="http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161001/176512a39dcd429cd6e871c9be2a1c8c.jpg"]
Well, yeah it's the factory's fault. But it's also the dealer's. They should be doing an inspection when the unit arrives, so they can fix anything before a customer sees it. Nothing kills a sale like a customer finding a problem while browsing. They should also have done an inspection and prep before turning it over to you. Again, they should be trying to find the problem before you do.

Except a dealer that is shipping you a unit, or who knows you are coming in from far out of town and they won't have to hear it from you, then if they are a lying pigeon-gut sucking weasel of a skunk, they'll just hide it from you and know that you won't be bringing it back to make it their problem.

And you probably got charged for a Pre-Delivery Inspection. Check your paperwork.

A PDI that doesn't involve hooking up to power and water and flipping all the switches isn't much of a PDI.

Finally, if you took delivery without a good PDI, then it's kind of your fault, too. But the ultimate accountability is with the warranty, so you really need to find a warranty center. Even if this stuff was within your ability and willingness to fix, something else may crop up during the warranty period.

[/quote]

The dealer did do a PDI. I'm not wanting to call out dealers, but they are fairly big and reputable in Chippewa Falls. We even spoke about their process on the phone. We have been in contact since and their manager wanted to know what I found out so he could share it with his service department.

I also spoke with the transport driver directly about his pre-trip inspection, which is required by the DOT for any commercial motor vehicle. He fell into this category and seemed to be up to speed.

What I understood happened with the running lights is that it was real bright and sunny out. When they activated the circuit most of them came on (all at eye level and lower). Looking up, it was hard to tell if they were on looking into the sun. It wasn't until dark that the driver noticed, and by that time he was half way through North Dakota.

With the turn signals they took a short cut and hit the 4-ways. This is something I do myself from time to time. The way it was wired the four ways  worked.

The fan is the only thing that may have rattled loose on the 1300 mile trip. I can see it with the twist type wire nut the factory used.

As far as warranty and these repairs, I don't trust most dealers to fix issues properly all the time. They sometimes break things trying to fix problems. These issues will end up costing me $5 for a tube of silicone and my time. Time worth spending getting to know my trailer mechanically. If something big comes up that will cost money in parts, that's when it'll hit a dealer.

brandonboss

[quote timestamp="1475313400" author="@pinstriper" source="/post/25072/thread"][quote timestamp="1475294484" source="/post/25068/thread" author="@brandonboss"]An inspection isn't always possible. I didn't order mine and I doubt the dealer would want to hold the trailer until I made my decision or could find someone to inspect it.  I had mine delivered to my house because I didn't have a dealer anywhere near me. Not only that but the whole point for me to buy a new trailer was so I didn't have to deal with fixing things all the time. I guess you can't avoid that either when buying new according to a lot of people in this group which is unfortunate. I still like my trailer and am hoping to have better luck with it in the future.
[/quote]A friend bought a new house. He had them fixing minor stuff for a full year or more, and in fact they even pre-scheduled an inspection for 6 months, as it is usual to get "pops" in the drywall where a fastener just doesn't hold, or hit the stud near an edge etc. which don't show up right away until the house has gone through normal seasonal expansion and contraction. Cracks appear in corners, etc. They also dealt with some appliance and fixture failing. This on a $500k house.

Point being new does not mean no problems.

I would not think of handing over the check on a $25k+ purchase without an inspection. [/quote]
Since I didn't spend $25k for mine does that mean I am omitted from your last statement? I kid.  I just think Livin Lite has dropped the ball in a few areas including customer service which probably won't improve under Thor. These quality control issues would be easily remedied by having someone inspect the trailer before shipping it out of the factory. I like many others think that the way these trailers are built is very neat and obviously the all aluminum build is why we went that direction. Just because we like that aspect of our trailers doesn't mean Livin Lite shouldn't be held accountable for their obvious mistakes. Customer service also leaves a lot to be desired. Just like the gentleman who just posted the other day about all of his trim bubbling and peeling 2-3 months out of warranty. This is obviously a factory defect as many others are having the same issue but instead of working with him they said he was on his own. I got the same thing told to me when I called in trying to get my wet bath fixed when I had multiple leaks in it. Its too bad.

idlerockfarm

I remember seeing something negative online about a LL dealer in that area. I liked their prices but chose not to buy from them.  Please put some reviews up online if you fault the dealer. I think I'd looked at BBB. Not sure.

obadiah

Quote from: @franks97224" source="/post/25069/thread" timestamp="1475295138I drove to Reno NV from Portland OR for my 2013 8518 and the dealer, Paramount, was great. They spent almost two hours going through every aspect of the trailer with me before I left for home. No extra charge. https://paramountautobody.com/livinlite.html

Really wish I'd have went with them instead of driving to Utah. Horrrible experience all around.