• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

New 16 TBS Disappointment story

Started by jimt, September 18, 2016, 04:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billmoore

We have only had two very minor issues with our 2014 BC7X20, one of which I dealt with myself and the other I have just left alone. First issue was that on a trip back from Idaho we encountered some very high winds in eastern WA, and the passenger side front exterior panel worked its way out from under the leading edge trim, and bowed out a bit. I was able to work it back in under the trim, and a few wacks with a rubber mallet tightened up that trim piece to hold it better. So far so good. In the process of doing that though, I discovered issue #2 - that panel has a protective plastic coating on it that should have been removed before installation. Our trailer doesn't have the continuous side panels of some of the models, instead it has sheets that are a couple of feet wide running top to bottom, with a little overlap at the seams where they are riveted. All of the sheets except that front one had the protective coating removed, but apparently they missed that one before installation. They even stuck the decals on right over the protective sheeting. Not that big of a deal at first, wasn't really noticable, but now after a couple of years, that protective coating is starting to peel. Fixing it is going to require replacing the decals since the coating goes under them. The paint underneath the coating is pristine though.

I haven't bothered doing anything about that either. Peeling that coating off will be a very tedious job at this point, since it has aged and won't come off in a single sheet. At some point I'll probably try a clay bar and see if that removes it. And I'll have to have a vinyl shop cut me two replacement decals, which shouldn't be a real big deal since they are just plain black and designed to make the front edge look more rounded than it actually is. My other option is to remove those decals on the other side of the trailer so it all matches...

pinstriper

[quote source="/post/26208/thread" author="@billmoore" timestamp="1480794602"]We have only had two very minor issues with our 2014 BC7X20, one of which I dealt with myself and the other I have just left alone. First issue was that on a trip back from Idaho we encountered some very high winds in eastern WA, and the passenger side front exterior panel worked its way out from under the leading edge trim, and bowed out a bit. I was able to work it back in under the trim, and a few wacks with a rubber mallet tightened up that trim piece to hold it better. So far so good. In the process of doing that though, I discovered issue #2 - that panel has a protective plastic coating on it that should have been removed before installation. Our trailer doesn't have the continuous side panels of some of the models, instead it has sheets that are a couple of feet wide running top to bottom, with a little overlap at the seams where they are riveted. All of the sheets except that front one had the protective coating removed, but apparently they missed that one before installation. They even stuck the decals on right over the protective sheeting. Not that big of a deal at first, wasn't really noticable, but now after a couple of years, that protective coating is starting to peel. Fixing it is going to require replacing the decals since the coating goes under them. The paint underneath the coating is pristine though.

I haven't bothered doing anything about that either. Peeling that coating off will be a very tedious job at this point, since it has aged and won't come off in a single sheet. At some point I'll probably try a clay bar and see if that removes it. And I'll have to have a vinyl shop cut me two replacement decals, which shouldn't be a real big deal since they are just plain black and designed to make the front edge look more rounded than it actually is. My other option is to remove those decals on the other side of the trailer so it all matches...[/quote]You could go to one of those skin places (not that kind!) and have the front of your trailer look like it is open to the interior or something else cool.

Kinda like this:

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

billmoore

The panel I'm referring to is everything in front of that first line of rivets in the picture below. The decals are the swoops at the top and bottom front edge. Those are the only affected decals...

billmoore

[quote timestamp="1480794783" author="@pinstriper" source="/post/26209/thread"]
Quote from: @billmoore" source="/post/26208/thread" timestamp="1480794602We have only had two very minor issues with our 2014 BC7X20, one of which I dealt with myself and the other I have just left alone. First issue was that on a trip back from Idaho we encountered some very high winds in eastern WA, and the passenger side front exterior panel worked its way out from under the leading edge trim, and bowed out a bit. I was able to work it back in under the trim, and a few wacks with a rubber mallet tightened up that trim piece to hold it better. So far so good. In the process of doing that though, I discovered issue #2 - that panel has a protective plastic coating on it that should have been removed before installation. Our trailer doesn't have the continuous side panels of some of the models, instead it has sheets that are a couple of feet wide running top to bottom, with a little overlap at the seams where they are riveted. All of the sheets except that front one had the protective coating removed, but apparently they missed that one before installation. They even stuck the decals on right over the protective sheeting. Not that big of a deal at first, wasn't really noticable, but now after a couple of years, that protective coating is starting to peel. Fixing it is going to require replacing the decals since the coating goes under them. The paint underneath the coating is pristine though.

I haven't bothered doing anything about that either. Peeling that coating off will be a very tedious job at this point, since it has aged and won't come off in a single sheet. At some point I'll probably try a clay bar and see if that removes it. And I'll have to have a vinyl shop cut me two replacement decals, which shouldn't be a real big deal since they are just plain black and designed to make the front edge look more rounded than it actually is. My other option is to remove those decals on the other side of the trailer so it all matches...
You could go to one of those skin places (not that kind!) and have the front of your trailer look like it is open to the interior or something else cool.

Kinda like this:

[/quote]
One of those would be really cool on the back cargo door, only make it look like the door is open and the bear is standing up looking out the back...

fasteddieb

Love to see one of those skins with a Bigfoot!
Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost

pinstriper

Quote from: @fasteddieb" source="/post/26213/thread" timestamp="1480799113Love to see one of those skins with a Bigfoot!

This is brilliant idea...hmmmmm.....
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback