Author Topic: Ditto to what Charlie says!  (Read 718 times)

leslie

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Ditto to what Charlie says!
« on: September 08, 2016, 03:13:36 PM »
We have just returned from our trip out west to the Livin Lite PNW Rally, and visiting our granddaughter, along with our son and his wife. Charliem is right - This is what retirement is supposed to be! We put an additional 5,000 miles on our trailer. We had such a great time!

The Rally was great, Ft. Stevens was a fantastic state park, and meeting our fellow Livin Liters was a blast! We enjoyed the drive out to the west so much, we are making plans to return to spend more time in the western states so we can explore. We had to keep moving west, as we had a deadline to make the rally. Still, we managed to enjoy several national parks and monuments, but we want more! I can rave about each state - Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming, Oregon, Washington, Idaho... Don't let anybody tell you that Montana is boring, as some people told us. No! No!

We made most of this trip without making reservations, something that I was a little worried about, but it worked out. We did stay at WalMarts several times, but it was all enjoyable. For the return trip, we averaged between 100 - 150 miles per day, so we could stop to enjoy attractions along the way. When we traveled with reservations, we had to drive right by stops that looked interesting, but we had to make the reservation at the campground.

We traveled I-90 on the way west, and came back via I-80. A problem developed, when we started to have trouble remembering just who we met at which campground, and which park had the great fountain, etc. For the return trip, I purchased a notebook and now I am journaling as we go. I just took a few minutes each morning to jot down where we stayed, the site number, and anything else we wanted to remember.

The passing scenery blew us away. We found interesting out-of-the-way spots to eat lunch, take a walk, or just sit and have a cup of coffee by a stream. Wow! Highlights of the trip include Custer State Park, The Badlands, wine tasting in Washington and Oregon, walking on the beach at Ft. Stevens with our dogs, driving the Oregon coast, Little Big Horn National Monument, and numerous city parks we visited.

Honorable mention goes to Grand Island, Nebraska where we found Dog Island inside a city park. Dog Island is a huge dog park surrounded by water with a hill in the middle, and your dogs can get lost (almost) in the trees. We hiked around Dog Island, the dogs splashed in the water, we ate lunch there, and just made a day of it. If you go to Grand Island and you don't have a dog, it would be worth it to borrow a dog to take to the park!

We had so many great adventures, I could go on and on. I kept a few statistics for the return trip when I started journaling. 2,500 miles in 21 days. We Wallydocked 8 nights. Total campground charges for the return trip were $400.48, averaging $19.08 per night.
Located in Kentucky and Florida at present

mrt

Ditto to what Charlie says!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 11:04:12 PM »
[font face="comic sans ms" size="3"]Wow, sounds incredible.  I'm still regretting that Linda and I couldn't make it to Fort Stevens for the rally, it would have been fun. Even though the wedding we had to go to was ok we kept reading the posts coming out of the rally and were very jealous.  I don't know if you have been to Utah but we had a chance to spend 10 days down there 2 weeks ago (not camping but just driving through with friends and motel'ng it).  Salt Lake City, Bryce Canyon, Lake Powell, Kodachrome Basin, Monument Valley......all incredible.  We then drove to the Grand Canyon and ended up in Vegas to see if I could win my retirement......no such luck!  I digress, I really want to take my trailer back this way and spend some more time.  We stopped and looked at a few campgrounds and the locations were great.  I'm just not sure my little Frontier will be able to handle the 10,000 foot altitude but we'll give it a shot.

Mike     [/font]