• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

2015 Vrv roof questions

Started by brandonboss, August 29, 2016, 05:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandonboss

Are these roofs walk-able? May be a dumb question but I assume they are since its all aluminum framed but wanted to be sure first.

Also what caulking and roof sealers would anyone recommend for when I need to reseal the roof and sidewalls. The roof has that thick black sealer and the rest is all clear caulking along the sides of the trailer. Thanks

tinkeringtechie

[quote timestamp="1472503126" author="@brandonboss" source="/post/24276/thread"]Are these roofs walk-able? May be a dumb question but I assume they are since its all aluminum framed but wanted to be sure first.

Also what caulking and roof sealers would anyone recommend for when I need to reseal the roof and sidewalls. The roof has that thick black sealer and the rest is all clear caulking along the sides of the trailer. Thanks
[/quote]I've never walked, but I've crawled...

Do you have the aluminum roof or the new rubber one? If aluminum then roof sealing should be Dicor lap sealant. If rubber then I'm not sure.

Caulking from the factory is crappy silicone, but I've been slowly replacing with proflex (and planning to never have to touch it again).
2014 Camplite 21BHS

2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD 5.7L

brandonboss

[quote timestamp="1472506784" source="/post/24277/thread" author="@tinkeringtechie"]
Quote from: @brandonboss" source="/post/24276/thread" timestamp="1472503126Are these roofs walk-able? May be a dumb question but I assume they are since its all aluminum framed but wanted to be sure first.

I've never walked, but I've crawled...

Do you have the aluminum roof or the new rubber one? If aluminum then roof sealing should be Dicor lap sealant. If rubber then I'm not sure.

Caulking from the factory is crappy silicone, but I've been slowly replacing with proflex (and planning to never have to touch it again).[/quote]Yeah its Aluminum. Does it feel sturdy when your up there? Yeah the silicone on the siding and what not seems to peel very easy. They sure cake on that black sealant on the top around the top lights. Its about 2 inches thick it looks like in places.

tinkeringtechie

Quote from: @brandonboss" source="/post/24280/thread" timestamp="1472510415[quote timestamp="1472506784" source="/post/24277/thread" author="@tinkeringtechie"]I've never walked, but I've crawled...

Caulking from the factory is crappy silicone, but I've been slowly replacing with proflex (and planning to never have to touch it again).
Yeah its Aluminum. Does it feel sturdy when your up there? Yeah the silicone on the siding and what not seems to peel very easy. They sure cake on that black sealant on the top around the top lights. Its about 2 inches thick it looks like in places.
[/quote]It feels pretty sturdy. I'm over 200lbs, so that's no small feat. The silicone isn't flexible enough... settling and road movement are enough to break most of the seals. The proflex is more like clear tar that stays put but stays flexible. The lap sealant can get pretty thick, but it shouldn't hurt to have extra. When I replaced my vent I probably put a good 1/2" or so all around it. It's pretty loose when you apply it, so you tend to put more than needed just in case it settles strangely.
2014 Camplite 21BHS

brandonboss

Quote from: @tinkeringtechie" source="/post/24282/thread" timestamp="1472510927[quote source="/post/24280/thread" timestamp="1472510415" author="@brandonboss"]
It feels pretty sturdy. I'm over 200lbs, so that's no small feat. The silicone isn't flexible enough... settling and road movement are enough to break most of the seals. The proflex is more like clear tar that stays put but stays flexible. The lap sealant can get pretty thick, but it shouldn't hurt to have extra. When I replaced my vent I probably put a good 1/2" or so all around it. It's pretty loose when you apply it, so you tend to put more than needed just in case it settles strangely.
[/quote]I am a big guy as well. 250lbs so I was just curious. Are you removing all your silicone in sections and replacing it with the proflex? Mineral spirits or denatured rubbing alcohol first then apply the proflex? Does it look any different after applying than the original silicone. I don't really want to replace it all at once if I do.

tinkeringtechie

[quote source="/post/24284/thread" timestamp="1472512094" author="@brandonboss"]Are you removing all your silicone in sections and replacing it with the proflex? Mineral spirits or denatured rubbing alcohol first then apply the proflex? Does it look any different after applying than the original silicone. I don't really want to replace it all at once if I do.
[/quote]I'm replacing the areas where it's actually coming off or clearly failing and replacing with proflex. I scrape the silicone off, then cleaning with alcohol, and apply proflex. Looks slightly more clear (the stock was slightly cloudy), but a casual observer would never know which was which.
2014 Camplite 21BHS

brandonboss

Thank you for the insight. I will probably be making the switch over as well. Do they make black dicor lap sealant? I only see white and need black for the top of my roof to match whatever it is they used on it.

keeena

I wouldn't walk on on my roof. When I added my vent covers i laid scrap 3/4" plywood across the framing members & laid or kneeled to distribute weight a bit more.

gnies

I am not sure I understand here, just to make sure the caulking on the side walls is silicone and the roof they used dicor lap sealant? Or they used silicone everywhere at the factory?

keeena

[quote timestamp="1475517375" source="/post/25109/thread" author="@paul"]I am not sure I understand here, just to make sure the caulking on the side walls is silicone and the roof they used dicor lap sealant? Or they used silicone everywhere at the factory? [/quote]
Yep - at least for the aluminum roofs: self-leveling lap sealant for the roof, silicone for the vertical surfaces (windows, doors, lights, etc...)

brandonboss - it does look like Dicor makes a black color but it was a bit harder to find. Marketed for EPMD but states it works fine w/ metal. P/N is 533-501LSB1. [a href="https://www.perfprotech.com/dicor-corporation-self-leveling-lap-sealant-bl-501lsb-1-533-501lsb1/product/1038842"]Dicor Black sealant[/a] 

brandonboss

Thanks Keeena. Paul yes it is silicone. I plan on switching over to proflex over time as Silicone doesn't work well. It already is coming off in spots and while traveling breaks loose because its not flexible enough.

gnies

Ok good to know, I have inspected mine and I didn't see obvious spot where it was coming off but there is some spot that could use more for sure. The silicone they used for me is black

brandonboss

My silicone is clear on my sidewalls and around the outside. Some areas could use some more on mine as well. Another guy on here recommended proflex to me as it will last a long long time and is like a clear tar that stays flexible. I heard it can be a bit hard to install and you need to only do little patches at a time because it sets up quickly.