Author Topic: 2016 21BHS riding too low, tires rubbing  (Read 1489 times)

drake

2016 21BHS riding too low, tires rubbing
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 04:59:57 PM »
Agreed.  Adding spacers is a bandaid for whatever the actual problem is, don't let them buffalo you!

tt2retire

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 03:55:45 AM »
Update, after over two months at the dealer!!!

The fix is to replace both axles.  Hopefully getting my trailer back this week. I'll be sure to take a very close look at how the new ones were welded on for alignment issues, and to verify that we stayed with the 3500# capacity versions. Any advice on things to check before taking delivery is greatly appreciated.

pjcd

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 04:13:34 PM »
I replaced the original tires and although I ordered the same size tires, (radials instead of Bias-ply) I noticed that they were a tight fit in the wheel well. I ordered a lift kit from Dexter and the problem was resolved, the kit raised the hight by about 2.5 inches. Just something worth considering.

tt2retire

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 01:48:36 AM »
I was wondering the same thing about using a lift kit from Dexter, but after pulling the invoice for one of my axles, a person from Dexter told me:

> Unfortunately, looking at this axle, you will not be able to use our lift kits as this has the 3 HP brackets.
  > You would have to buy an axle with a different start angle on it.

I suspect that my current axles have the wrong start angle, even though the invoice shows the 10 degrees down.

That extra 2.5 inches you got would be just about perfect from what I can see. I wonder if you had the same problem I have. LL will probably be interested in finding out more about your trailer. I also replaced my bias-ply with same sized radials too, but didn't see a significant difference in the height problem.

Just found out today that the new axles are not yet in :-(

I may go and pick up the trailer so I can have a least one more weekend trip (going very slowly over any bumps) before winter sets in.

I also want to take pictures of the frame welds to see if I have any problems as has been lately mentioned in the "Failed Frame Welds" thread.

pjcd

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 10:25:41 AM »
I would look over the welds, you wouldn't want any surprises while on the road. When I ordered the lift kit, I contacted Dexter and gave them the axle ID number, they have different kits for different axles. I don't believe that the kits are interchangeable.