• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.
 

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Question for Anderson Hitch Users

Started by montedtrotter1, June 22, 2016, 09:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daplumbr

I hope you enjoy the trip west! Load up the tongue weight on that outfit (the Tundra can take it) and we'll see you out there. 

pinstriper

Dumb question for Billy: the Tundra should be (barely) enough tow vehicle, but is the trailer frame level/do you have enough drop on the hitch ? Just guarding against the trailer being nose-high and losing tongue weight. It would be worth actually weighing it out, too.

After that, my money is on funky tires.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

dontaknow

[quote timestamp="1466693922" source="/post/22461/thread" author="@montedtrotter1"]Thanks for all the comments!

I did review several Anderson videos this morning and saw where the AWD Hitch was guaranteed for life. I decided to call them to discuss. Very quickly Demetrius (factory rep) pointed out they had a bad run of the cone material that would absorb moisture over time that then created the popping noise. He is sending me a new updated cone at no charge. I purchased my Anderson Hitch about 14 months ago. Demetrius basically guaranteed me this would solve my problem so evidently they have received enough calls about noise to research and solve the problem. I will post an update after I get the new cone installed. Thanks again for all the responses! [/quote]Thanks for sharing what you learned from Andersen.   I might need to install a replacement cone too.  It rained last night and today the creaking noise returned.  Other than the sporadic noise, the WD hitch works great.

Please update after you install the new cone.  Hopefully, that takes care of the problem.

ammobob

We've been towing a 21BHS with our RAM 1500 and an Anderson system for 2 seasons now with no issues. We are running at 600 lbs tongue weight. No discernible noise, wobble or sway even with the chains pulled in tight to 7-8 threads. I agree with others here that trailer leveling and proper tongue weight are imperative. Can't speak to the cone but this is not the first thread to discuss cone issues.

montedtrotter1

New Cone install successful!

Got the new cone from Anderson free of charge and got it installed this morning.

Warning: Watch the "How To Install Cone" video by Anderson on You Tube; you will use every step and technique they describe! When the host says get a big hammer he means it. I was not sure I was going to get the tapered ball out until I got a much bigger hammer. I destroyed a two by four and ended up getting a piece of composite decking (protects the hitch ball when hitting) and had to use a jack to fit under the hitch for more support, it finally popped out. The cone in my Anderson was black in color and new one is white. Anyway, the hitch is now silent again.  I did not realize how bad the popping noise was until now with virtual silence behind me, have to look in the mirror to make sure the trailer is still there.

Happy Camper once again!

daplumbr

By the time we got home from our recent 6000 mile trip, our Andersen hitch cone was creaking loudly. I'll call them and get a new cone. I think ours was purchased new right about the time they started having noise problems.

As an aside, I see the photo of the rig on the main LL Camplite site is hitched up using an Andersen WDH.

https://www.livinlite.com/camplite-overview.php





montedtrotter1

I thought I posted a follow- up on the new cone (now red in color) but must have put it somewhere else. I got the new cone and as Andersen CS indicated, the popping creaking noise stopped. They will send you free of charge.
My 21BHS is right at the 700 lb. mark on tongue weight using the Sherline scale, I have been adjusting the balance by loading heavier stuff in the rear storage compartment versus the front. No wobble issues and if I do not use it the Chevy Colorado will drop about four inches versus 1.5-2 inches.
One of the  reasons I purchased the Andersen is because you can back up without disconnecting the WDH, many others will not.


gerry

[quote timestamp="1466716876" source="/post/22467/thread" author="@scbillandjane"]We also purchased our 21 BHS and the Andersen hitch at SIRV and they installed it. Since the time we left the dealership last November, we have NEVER liked it. I have never understood the rave reviews online and on this forum about the Andersen hitch. We have had sway issues from day one, especially when it is windy, but we've even had some "wobbling" when the weather is clear, dry, and windless. On occasion, we have had groaning and popping noises, too, when making slow turns. We're just hoping at the July rally in Oregon that someone will help diagnose our difficulties and find something that we're doing wrong and that it will be an easy fix.  Otherwise, we're ready to make it into a very expensive paperweight and switch to another system entirely. It is NOT easy to hitch up when you're practically standing on your head or squatting down to the ground on bad knees to line up the holes and slide the pin through. On the positive side, it is somewhat lightweight. That's about the only good thing we have been able to say about it.  Otherwise, it's been a royal pain. We DO love our Camplite, however! [/quote]when I first got my Andersen hitch,  I played with it.....I usually show four threads......but I tried three on a short leg......I had lots of sway and bounce.....after tightening to the proper threads, that all stopped.....try tightening the bolts some more.....don't be afraid to over-tighten.....

jerrybeaird

My TV for my 21RBS is a Tacoma and the anderson wd has been really great in stopping the sway that I had.  Instead of counting the threads, I measure the lenght of the 3 inch red spacer and compress each side 1/4 inch.  ( total spacer length is now 2 and 3/4 inches).  It seems to work for me.

I hope this helps.

gbpack

We love our Andersen WDH hitch as well and it's done a great job with weight distribution and sway control. Ours started making creaking and popping noises as well, so I just called them up and they are sending me a new friction cone. On another related topic that has been mentioned above, we have found that it's important to have enough weight up in front of the axles in our 21BHS in order to achieve the best ride. With all of the storage room that we have in the back bunk areas, and now with our bikes mounted on the rear bumper, we have found that it's easy to have too much weight behind the axles. That has resulted in some porpoising on occasion, especially when traveling on bumpy, older concrete road surfaces. So by just moving some of the heavier cargo items forward (in front of the axles), that makes quite a difference in the ride.

daplumbr

I am also waiting on a new friction cone from Andersen due to noise issues with the original. However, it's been a couple of weeks now, so i guess I better call again and see what's up. Our TV/trailer combo also suffers from minor porpoising on bad roads, which is pretty much everywhere now. I'm going to mess with the hitch tension chains when I get the new cone installed to see if I can eliminate that "bounciness". It can be tiring on a long trip leg. 

djsamuel

Last trip out, I tightened both chains as normal, and then added another quarter turn or so. That made a big difference in bouncing.
Camplite 21BHS / Ram 1500

Central Florida


montedtrotter1

Well the noise got bad again on my Andersen Hitch with the new white cone, same popping noise at low speeds in the neighborhood and campsites areas. I decided to call Andersen again to discuss. This time they asked me to send back the hitch/ball assembly so they could look at it. In the meantime they send me a new assembly with new cone seated. I am back to a very quite noiseless hitch on turns and backing.

My concern is it appears the cone is affected by rain water (not a problem now in GA as we are in a severe drought again) but I meant to call them back today to discuss a coating on top of the seal some way as to stop the water from getting into the cone from the top. It sure is nice to drive around in tight quarters and not hear the popping noise as the cone turns inside the aluminum base. It may be aluminum housing inside was not smooth enough but again Andersen sent me a new assembly at no charge without actually seeing the old unit.

I will see how this one goes and report back in a few months.

Another point, I may have been tightening the chain too much (Andersen CS told me it was nothing I was doing that would cause the cone to make the popping noise) but I have noticed a better
ride backing off the tightness by 1-1.5 threads.



daplumbr

Quote from: @montedtrotter1" source="/post/25658/thread" timestamp="1477963675Well the noise got bad again on my Andersen Hitch with the new white cone, same popping noise at low speeds in the neighborhood and campsites areas. I decided to call Andersen again to discuss. This time they asked me to send back the hitch/ball assembly so they could look at it. In the meantime they send me a new assembly with new cone seated. I am back to a very quite noiseless hitch on turns and backing.

My concern is it appears the cone is affected by rain water (not a problem now in GA as we are in a severe drought again) but I meant to call them back today to discuss a coating on top of the seal some way as to stop the water from getting into the cone from the top. It sure is nice to drive around in tight quarters and not hear the popping noise as the cone turns inside the aluminum base. It may be aluminum housing inside was not smooth enough but again Andersen sent me a new assembly at no charge without actually seeing the old unit.

I will see how this one goes and report back in a few months.

Another point, I may have been tightening the chain too much (Andersen CS told me it was nothing I was doing that would cause the cone to make the popping noise) but I have noticed a better
ride backing off the tightness by 1-1.5 threads.


Interesting info. I just got my new white cone from Anderson to replace the noisy red OEM cone and we'll see how it goes. Our OEM cone got super creaky; everyone knew we were coming! 

djsamuel

I find if I'm out camping the cone becomes noisy if I leave it on the truck and it rains.  After a couple of dry days, it's quiet again.  This is with the original red cone. This seems to support montetrotter's theory regarding rain water.
Camplite 21BHS / Ram 1500

Central Florida