• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

When will web site be updated?

Started by farmboy, October 21, 2015, 10:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aggie79

I just wish we had the funds to purchase an "old" PT (pre-Thor) CampLite back in the day.

drdave

[quote source="/post/18509/thread" timestamp="1454894591" author="@oleo"][quote source="/post/18447/thread" timestamp="1454803203" author="@billmoore"]Well I guess we all have collectors items. Why on earth did Thor buy LivinLite, only to take away everything that made LivinLite distinctive? They already had plenty of other brands with the more conventional cheapo construction...[/quote][font face="comic sans ms" color="#1979e6" size="4"]Agree and so confusing...
-cabinet change to wood
-single axle change(s)
-reduction to number of floor plans
-tire size change (and then retraction)
-roof change
What is next???  
Not the Living Lite product we came to appreciate and want...
Wonder if there is some bigger picture why Thor purchased LL??? May never know.  
Feels like the downfall of the product.
Slowly step by step, tearing LL product apart!!! 
So very sad we are living through this...[/font]

[/quote]It seems they knew enough to leave airstream alone, but it as a stronger following and bigger sales.....

aggie79

Quote from: @mitch" source="/post/18437/thread" timestamp="1454795008I went and checked each model and all of them now say this:

ONE PIECE SINGLE?PLY SUPERFLEX OLEFIN BASED ROOF MEMBRANE W/ AZDEL DECKING
Take a look at this video and see how it makes you feel about a Superflex roof compared to aluminum:

[a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeFDO7IVhsk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeFDO7IVhsk[/a]

charliem

[quote timestamp="1454955736" source="/post/18527/thread" author="@aggie79"]Take a look at this video and see how it makes you feel about a Superflex roof compared to aluminum:

[/quote][font size="3"]I watched. What message do you want us to take away? I saw ease of installation, ease of physical damage, limited life in sunlight, and no mention of warranty. My last data point had TPO roofs warranted for 12 years.[/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

aggie79

[quote source="/post/18529/thread" author="@charliem" timestamp="1454957012"][quote source="/post/18527/thread" author="@aggie79" timestamp="1454955736"]Take a look at this video and see how it makes you feel about a Superflex roof compared to aluminum:

[/quote][font size="3"]I watched. What message do you want us to take away? I saw ease of installation, ease of physical damage, limited life in sunlight, and no mention of warranty. My last data point had TPO roofs warranted for 12 years.[/font]
[/quote]
I would concur with all of the above and would add that LL owners should be happy/proud of the aluminum structure and aluminum roof.

There is nothing inherently wrong with TPO roofing.  Commercial building TPO roofing has worked well for years provided it is installed correctly.  RV TPO roofing doesn't appear to be anywhere near as substantial as commercial roofing (probably to reduce weight and cost).  I would be surprised to hear that RV installations would carry a 5-year warranty. 

mitch

I would just like something a little more substantial.  I had a small limb fall on my camper, enough to cause a deep scratch.  Had the roof been something other than aluminum I'm sure it would have ripped and leaked.  Not a disaster of biblical proportions to be sure but if I can have a roof material that will prevent that I'm willing to pay for it. That's my  pitch for aluminum over TPO.
Mitch
2013 13QBB
2015 Ford F-150
Anderson 3324 WDH

aggie79

[quote timestamp="1454854430" author="@charliem" source="/post/18471/thread"][quote source="/post/18468/thread" author="@exploringcarolina" timestamp="1454852053"]ATC builds many custom aluminum trailers, too:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aluminumtrailercompany/[/quote][font size="3"]I wouldn't take much to make the 7x20 a competitor to the CL21s. All the elements are there on their site: water/waste systems, baths, beds, slides, electrical systems, aluminum floors and roofs, Azdel interiors, AL cabinets. Just cut and [strike]paste[/strike] weld.  ;)    The quoted prices and weights are in the range. And IIRC Scott Tuttle started out building light weight aluminum utility/hauler type trailers. [/font]
[/quote]
It's difficult to get apples to apples, but I priced out a 7' x 20' with options.  Retail price not including TTL or delivery was $32,560.  (Base price was $26,995.)  I would construct these myself.  The major options included were: 2" spray-on floor insulation, 3-season plumbing (heaters for tanks and waste lines), 13,500 Btuh A/C, Fantastic fans with MaxxAir covers, & TV/stereo/dvd, and extra 4' aluminum upper cabinet.

Please note that the price does not include any type of beds.  If I went this route, I would construct dual, twin-size Murphy beds, interior partition with door and windows at ramp opening, and collapsible railing to use the ramp as a porch.

I have no idea what actual retail price would be, but the list price seems very reasonable to me.

charliem

[quote source="/post/18571/thread" timestamp="1455123729" author="@aggie79"]It's difficult to get apples to apples, but I priced out a 7' x 20' with options.  Retail price not including TTL or delivery was $32,560.  (Base price was $26,995.)  I would construct these myself.  The major options included were: 2" spray-on floor insulation, 3-season plumbing (heaters for tanks and waste lines), 13,500 Btuh A/C, Fantastic fans with MaxxAir covers, & TV/stereo/dvd, and extra 4' aluminum upper cabinet.

Please note that the price does not include any type of beds.  If I went this route, I would construct dual, twin-size Murphy beds, interior partition with door and windows at ramp opening, and collapsible railing to use the ramp as a porch.

I have no idea what actual retail price would be, but the list price seems very reasonable to me.[/quote][font size="3"]I think you confirm my observation. Considering that your chosen options are not included and/or not even available from LL the ATC price seems right in there.

BTW I think the ATC three season package includes heaters on the water lines, not the waste lines. Probably a typo for you. If you're really considering outfitting for cold weather you might look at the hot water circulating scheme I described. It's a lot easier on the 12V system and the battery if you're off grid.
[/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

spot1

New LL Quicksilver VRV toy haulers have TPO type roofs and ATC toy haulers have one piece aluminum roofs.

aggie79

[quote source="/post/18572/thread" timestamp="1455127635" author="@charliem"]BTW I think the ATC three season package includes heaters on the water lines, not the waste lines. Probably a typo for you. If you're really considering outfitting for cold weather you might look at the hot water circulating scheme I described. It's a lot easier on the 12V system and the battery if you're off grid.
[/quote]

Oops! You're correct.  The heater is for the water lines.  We generally camp where there is electrical service so the 3-season package would work for us.

I like the ATC toy haulers although the nearest dealer is several states away.  My preference still is with Livin Lite.  I can deal with the wood faced cabinets, no factory customization, and QC issues, but I really don't want a TPO roof.  Hopefully, when the dust settles, the VRV may still be "all aluminum".

joanne

[quote timestamp="1455127635" author="@charliem" source="/post/18572/thread"][quote timestamp="1455123729" author="@aggie79" source="/post/18571/thread"]It's difficult to get apples to apples, but I priced out a 7' x 20' with options.  Retail price not including TTL or delivery was $32,560.  (Base price was $26,995.)  I would construct these myself.  The major options included were: 2" spray-on floor insulation, 3-season plumbing (heaters for tanks and waste lines), 13,500 Btuh A/C, Fantastic fans with MaxxAir covers, & TV/stereo/dvd, and extra 4' aluminum upper cabinet.

I have no idea what actual retail price would be, but the list price seems very reasonable to me.[/quote][font size="3"]I think you confirm my observation. Considering that your chosen options are not included and/or not even available from LL the ATC price seems right in there.

BTW I think the ATC three season package includes heaters on the water lines, not the waste lines. Probably a typo for you. If you're really considering outfitting for cold weather you might look at the hot water circulating scheme I described. It's a lot easier on the 12V system and the battery if you're off grid.
[/font][/quote]
It looks like ATC is an interesting option - especially if they'd be amicable to customization, or a customer-finish option.

pjcd

The real problem is that these roofs are put down on a wood deck, which will rot with even the smallest leaks. From experience, I had a RV with a rubber roof that developed a small leak that went unnoticed, it ended up dry rotting a corner of the roof. An all aluminum constructed trailer gives me some peace of mind where rot is concerned. With all the sloppy QC in the RV industry, LL included, the less wood the better.

pjcd

[quote source="/post/18507/thread" timestamp="1454892966" author="@tlbones"][quote source="/post/18437/thread" timestamp="1454795008" author="@mitch"]I went and checked each model and all of them now say this:

ONE PIECE SINGLE?PLY SUPERFLEX OLEFIN BASED ROOF MEMBRANE W/ AZDEL DECKING[/quote]So I'm aware of the azdel interior wall panels, of course they are thin delicate stuff  but what are the specs on azdel decking?  I'm assuming it's tougher and thicker?  I can't figure out the azdel.com website.  [/quote]I would think that its laminated with some light weight material.

rab0325

Question- Anyone hear of putting truck bedliner product over roof- aluminum, rubber, or otherwise? Any thoughts on this?

mitch

[quote source="/post/18635/thread" timestamp="1455293728" author="@rab0325"]Question- Anyone hear of putting truck bedliner product over roof- aluminum, rubber, or otherwise? Any thoughts on this?[/quote]Funny you should ask.....

https://livinlite.forums.net/thread/1799/roof-material
Mitch
2013 13QBB
2015 Ford F-150
Anderson 3324 WDH