• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

Weight Distribution, Sway, and Tongue Weight

Started by kenofchattanooga, April 29, 2014, 08:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purdytj

[quote source="/post/17889/thread" timestamp="1453173967" author="@sandroad"]Purdytj, I am in the process of replacing the front-most bolts on my hitch because they were not installed with enough clearance to the power jack mount plate. So, I've just looked at my hitch carefully today. From what I see on yours, it looks like the hitch area around the front-most bolts/washers is not perfectly flat like it is on mine. It's dark right now, or I would post a photo. Others should weigh in, but IMHO, it does look like your hitch may be bent up a bit.[/quote]
Copy, thank you. Based on what I'm [a href="http://livinlite-owners.com/thread/606/bent-coupler-on-21rbs?page=5"]hearing here[/a], I'll be needing to upgrade!

fasteddieb

Karen and I just got back from a brief FL trip.

We now have over 9,000 miles towing experience with no scary moments to date.

The EAZ-Lift w/d hitch with Husky sway control has worked perfectly, and is currently "in the zone". The reinforcement of the receiver by CanAm in London, Ontario, has worked out so far.

Had about 30 mph crosswinds one day, and honking down the sway control a tiny bit kept things under control

I tilted the head of the hitch back a little, so I'm only hanging one link. Only drawback is on steep driveways and humps sometimes the w/d bars drag a bit.

No bending of the hitch in spite of the 625 lb tongue weight. Game plan is to keep an eye on it - if it starts to bend I'll pull it off and have it straightened, then reinstalled with two steel reinforcing plates above it. I just hesitate to drill any holes in the aluminum if not completely necessary,

It's been about 2 years now since new, and I plan a post to update everyone on how things have gone so far.

For now, here are the lovebirds at a friend's in Tallahassee:

[a href="https://flic.kr/p/DrMPQW"]
[img style="max-width:100%;" src="https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1466/24577053802_4e8972eea4_z.jpg"][/a]
Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost

pjcd

Quote from: @purdytj" source="/post/17876/thread" timestamp="1453161451So we did the trip without the WDH and the ride was actually more comfortable. I was able to control the airbags on the rear axle from in the cab and we found we like 25-30 psi.

I do have a concern about the coupler (and posted so on the [a href="http://livinlite-owners.com/thread/606/bent-coupler-on-21rbs?page=5"]bent coupler thread page 5[/a]). Does it look bent to anyone else? Or is this a standard amount of rise in the location of the ball... my gut tells me no, but maybe it's an optical illusion.

Thoughts?

That looks bent to me, I swapped mine out for a HD Bull Dog, then added bolts to the side. 

pegwillen

In anticipation of likely purchasing a 21BHS in the spring after my return north (providing the one I'm eyeing is still on the lot in NH), I've been reading through this thread.  Currently I'm using a Reese friction sway bar on a steel frame which won't do on an aluminum frame as it must be drilled.  Seems that those of you using the Andersen were happy with it, so since this thread has been quiet for a while I was wondering if indeed you all still are happy and/or have any other recommendations.  I like the clean look of it and I can actually understand how it works from that YT video posted early on.  Towing with a Silverado extra cab.  Thanks all.

jerrybeaird

I have used the Andersen hitch on my 21RBS with my Tacoma for over a year now.  I am very pleased with it as it really helps on sway and quiets down the "hop" when going down an uneven road.  Mine started to have a squeaking inner friction cone and Andersen quickly shipped one out free of charge.  Very good warranty service.

I have gone on the tall, windy bridge to Galveston with and without the hitch and it was like night and day.   Most folks use this hitch more for sway control than weight distribution

Most measure the turns on the tightening nut for adjustment.  I measure the compression of the big bushing on each side.  I compress the bushing 1/4 inch for my Tacoma.  This gives me about an inch or so of distribution to the front end and lots of sway control.   Your adjustments will depend on your tow vehicle and trailer load.

I hope this helps.

gbpack

We have had the Andersen WDH for one year now (as long as we've had our 21BHS) and love it. Easy to connect & disconnect, provides very good sway control, and they have good warranty and customer service. Would highly recommend it.

jtelles3993

Meant to post this when we got back this year - having put 8000 miles on the replacement cone this year, it did not develop the noise problem. Evidently the original cone was the problem.

pinstriper

[quote source="/post/26686/thread" author="@surfsup" timestamp="1483069496"]Meant to post this when we got back this year - having put 8000 miles on the replacement cone this year, it did not develop the noise problem. Evidently the original cone was the problem.[/quote]You're just resurfacing after a few months ? Well, brace yourself. There are some changes in the winds.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

popup2012

I just got a new cone for my Andersen hitch.  The old one was red and the new one is white.  It was interesting when I took the old red cone  off there was some black hard crud on the inside of my cone.  I did not install the hitch and the installer had never seen one before.  I am wondering if he greased it when installing.  I won't be using the new cone for a couple of months but hope this helps the handling.

gbpack

Quote from: @popup2012" source="/post/26726/thread" timestamp="1483204519I just got a new cone for my Andersen hitch.  The old one was red and the new one is white.  It was interesting when I took the old red cone  off there was some black hard crud on the inside of my cone.  I did not install the hitch and the installer had never seen one before.  I am wondering if he greased it when installing.  I won't be using the new cone for a couple of months but hope this helps the handling.

The new white one will work well for you. Our old one was black (not red) and made a lot of
creaking noises before we called them for a replacement.