• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

Poor quality tires. Is this standard?

Started by jeeps, May 18, 2015, 02:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djsamuel

[quote timestamp="1475848592" source="/post/25217/thread" author="@fasteddieb"]Called the nearest Maxxis dealer in Alcoa, TN They don't have the Maxxis in stock, but recommended a radial tire: the Carlisle Radial Trail HD. $532 for four, installed balanced and tax inclusive.

My local guy has nothing good to say about Carlisle, is lukewarm on Maxxis and recommends a Hertage Max STR.

Thoughts?[/quote]I bought the Carlisle Radial Trail RH trials almost a year ago.  The HD tires are the newer version of the RHs.  These tires have been great.  They seem very durable, have had no problems at all, have an 87MPH speed limit, and they tow great.

I wouldn't hesitate to get them.
Camplite 21BHS / Ram 1500

Central Florida

daplumbr

Quote from: @fasteddieb" timestamp="1475848592" source="/post/25217/threadCalled the nearest Maxxis dealer in Alcoa, TN They don't have the Maxxis in stock, but recommended a radial tire: the Carlisle Radial Trail HD. $532 for four, installed balanced and tax inclusive.

My local guy has nothing good to say about Carlisle, is lukewarm on Maxxis and recommends a Hertage Max STR.

Thoughts?
Not to be too cynical, but the "local guy" will very likely recommend was he has in stock and is the most profitable. Do your own research on the Heritage by searching for reviews. The Carlisle HD you listed and the Maxxis 8008 are great. 

charliem

[font size="3"]I don't have any impression of Summit Heritage tires, but I do get favorable readings on Maxxis. For comparison, here are the original tires on my 2014 21RBS at 34 months with 32K miles (actually 31,570). They are 14 inch BFG All-Terrain T/A KOs and will definitely age out before they wear out. I just put the same tires on my truck in a larger size. Very happy with LTs.

[attachment id="1765" thumbnail="1"]   [attachment id="1766" thumbnail="1"]

EDIT: The above stated mileage includes some non-towing miles on the TV. As such, the actual trailer tire mileage will be somewhat less, but certainly more than the 7k and 12k miles noted by others. Most likely in the 25K-30K range. This leads me to believe the cheaper ST tires, China or not, may not be so cost effective. At 2-1/2+ years these BFGs will certainly age out before they wear out.
[/font]
Any 20 minute job can be stretched
to a week with proper planning

Charlie
NW Florida

charliem

Quote from: @sandroad" source="/post/25219/thread" timestamp="1475853410Not to be too cynical, but the "local guy" will very likely recommend was he has in stock and is the most profitable.
[font size="3"]I agree. Cynical you are, but you're also correct. As with everything else, look for the motivation and follow the money..............[/font]

Charlie
NW Florida

leslie

Our original tires on the Camplite 21BHS lasted 7,000 trailer miles. All 4 of them had places where the tread was just about gone. We went to Les Schwab after the LL reps got a look at our tires at the PNW Rally in July. Now we have Maxxis.

I called American RV to see about getting new tires there. American RV was the dealer who came to our rally. I was told that they don't sell tires. Hence the trip to Les Schwab.
Located in Kentucky and Florida at present

gbpack

Quote from: @charliem" source="/post/25220/thread" timestamp="1475854272[font size="3"]I don't have any impression of Summit Heritage tires, but I do get favorable readings on Maxxis. For comparison, here are the original tires on my 2014 21RBS at 34 months with 32K miles (actually 31,570). They are 14 inch BFG All-Terrain T/A KOs and will definitely age out before they wear out. I just put the same tires on my truck in a larger size. Very happy with LTs.
[/font]

We have the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO's on our 21BHS as well, and love them. Only have about 5,000 trailer miles on them so far, but absolutely no problems or signs of wear at this point. The only thing I'm concerned about right now is where we will be able to get replacements when we need them, because we've been told that BFG is no longer making an All-Terrain LT tire in the 14" size. Haven't been able to find a 14" A-T LT tire yet, but still looking. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know. Good thing it will be awhile yet before we need them!

charliem

Quote from: @gbpack" timestamp="1475868179" source="/post/25224/thread[quote timestamp="1475854272" source="/post/25220/thread" author="@charliem"][font size="3"]I don't have any impression of Summit Heritage tires, but I do get favorable readings on Maxxis. For comparison, here are the original tires on my 2014 21RBS at 34 months with 32K miles (actually 31,570). They are 14 inch BFG All-Terrain T/A KOs and will definitely age out before they wear out. I just put the same tires on my truck in a larger size. Very happy with LTs.
[/font]
We have the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO's on our 21BHS as well, and love them. Only have about 5,000 trailer miles on them so far, but absolutely no problems or signs of wear at this point. The only thing I'm concerned about right now is where we will be able to get replacements when we need them, because we've been told that BFG is no longer making an All-Terrain LT tire in the 14" size. Haven't been able to find a 14" A-T LT tire yet, but still looking. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know. Good thing it will be awhile yet before we need them![/quote][font size="3"]It appears you are correct. BFG no longer offers the A/T KOs or KO2s in 14 inch, but Goodyear makes their Wrangler ATs in LT195/75R14. Maxxis offers their ST Radial 8000 in 205/75R14 with an 6 ply rating, equivalent to LR C, that should fit fine. It's only 10 mm wider and about 0.35 inches bigger in radius. Sad to find the LT trailer tire market is getting so tight. At some time we may have to bite the bullet and buy 15" rims  :'( .[/font]

Charlie
NW Florida

fasteddieb

Are not trailer tires designed differently than car/truck tires?

I'm leaning towards the Maxxis M8008 which I found online for $107 w/free shipping.
Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost

charliem

[quote source="/post/25226/thread" author="@fasteddieb" timestamp="1475871873"]Are not trailer tires designed differently than car/truck tires?

I'm leaning towards the Maxxis M8008 which I found online for $107 w/free shipping. [/quote][font size="3"]I don't have a complete understanding on this, but a few things come to mind. Because truck tires carry people they have to meet more stringent requirements. This probably includes more margin, better QC, and better certifications. Just look at the China bomb experience for this. Most trailer tire tread patterns are designed for minimum rolling resistance. That's fine if you believe tire resistance contributes much to your gas mileage. I don't. Especially on wet or icy roads I want the tread to resist sideways movement (sway) and to contribute to braking if I need it. For that reason I like the AT tread. There may also be some difference in the rubber formulation since trailer tires don't usually experience the forces caused by acceleration, cornering, or hard braking. Don't know for sure, but I've never heard anyone recommend STs over good LTs, except an ST dealer.

All that said I think the Maxxis 8008s are better than average and will do well for you. I'd love to hear from someone who really knows the answer on this subject.
[/font]

Charlie
NW Florida

ammobob

I am considering the Taskmaster Provider as a replacement for our stock tires which are worn out at 5-6K miles. They are D load rated.

Anyone have any thoughts about these tires.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Taskmaster/TTWTRTM2157514D.html

drdave

[quote timestamp="1475929829" source="/post/25229/thread" author="@ammobob"]I am considering the Taskmaster Provider as a replacement for our stock tires which are worn out at 5-6K miles. They are D load rated.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Taskmaster/TTWTRTM2157514D.html[/quote]Absolutely no experience with that tire.   Not that full faith should be placed in online reviews, but 4.8 stars average with 138 reviews seems promising.  

I also wanted to say that etrailer has always treated me great over the years.   I've bought quite a few truck accessories, hitches, and racks from them and all were shipped quickly and arrived well packaged.   My fifth wheel hitch mounting kit was shipped with two drivers side frame brackets (manufacturer's fault when packaged..it was clearly a new unopened kit from Reese).   I called etrailer and they overnighted a passenger frame bracket to me at no charge after I explained I was about to head out on a trip to pick up my new trailer.   

charliem

[quote timestamp="1475929829" source="/post/25229/thread" author="@ammobob"]I am considering the Taskmaster Provider as a replacement for our stock tires which are worn out at 5-6K miles. They are D load rated.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Taskmaster/TTWTRTM2157514D.html[/quote][font size="3"]The first thing to do is figure out who made the originals and don't buy them. 5-6K? How can that work? We drive more than that on a single trip. I guess you get what you pay for.[/font]

Charlie
NW Florida

pygrydr

[quote source="/post/25231/thread" timestamp="1475946142" author="@charliem"][quote source="/post/25229/thread" timestamp="1475929829" author="@ammobob"]I am considering the Taskmaster Provider as a replacement for our stock tires which are worn out at 5-6K miles. They are D load rated.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Taskmaster/TTWTRTM2157514D.html[/quote][font size="3"]The first thing to do is figure out who made the originals and don't buy them. 5-6K? How can that work? We drive more than that on a single trip. I guess you get what you pay for.[/font]
[/quote]Took my 4 original tires off after 4000 miles when one bubbled and others showed beginning signs of cracking.  Replaced 4 with Maxxis 8008 for $265-mounted and balanced, from my local tire dealer.   Glad I did! http://livinlite-owners.com/thread/976/cracks-brand-new-tires?page=4

fasteddieb

Mineral Bluff, GA

2014 CampLite 21BHS

2011 Ford Flex EcoBoost

pinstriper

[quote timestamp="1475871873" source="/post/25226/thread" author="@fasteddieb"]Are not trailer tires designed differently than car/truck tires?

I'm leaning towards the Maxxis M8008 which I found online for $107 w/free shipping. [/quote]I took our trailer by the regional tire chain - Les Schwab - about a year in, for a tire guy to give me his assessment.

He said he was happy with their condition, said they were a decent tire, and declined to offer to sell me an alternative at that point. He said they were bias-ply, not radials, which is appropriate for trailers - something about their advantages in this application, and radials being less so. I forget. He said it is usual and normal for a bias ply tire to develop flat spots after sitting, might feel some vibration for the first few miles until the tire heats up and rounds out. Totally normal.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback