Has anyone replaced their mattress on their QS6 or QS10 and if so what did you replace it with?
I'm looking for something a little more comfortable than what came with my QS6. I've slept on it four times and it is not very comfortable.
Thanks,
John
I have not changed but it is a little hard, lol. It really has not bothered us so far.
I have a 2012 QS6.0 and agree that the mattress is not the most comfortable. I had a foam pad that I put under the mattress and spread out two sleeping bags on top of the mattress. This adds enough comfort for me.
We use a queen size air mattress on ours. It was a carry over from our camping days and we love it. We tried using both mattresses and a foam topper and didn't like it as much.
We have a QS10.0 and had a leftover Aero mattress topper. It actually has two chambers and a pump that can be attached so we can adjust each side just like a sleep number :). Honestly though if it hadn't been something we already had we probably would have just used a basic air mattress. I like the air mattresses because they dont add any bulk when empty.
I toyed with the idea of removing the factory mattress and using some velcro to semi-permanently attach an air mattress. The velcro would allow for the bunks to be opened and closed with the mattress attached, which mean no need to find any place to store them when not in use.
-Sean
Thanks for the responses. The air mattress idea sounds like a good one. Wonder if I can find a low profile queen sized air mattress.
Here's the air mattress we bought for our QS6: http://www.rei.com/product/870779/rei-relax-air-bed-queen It's less than 6" high.
We put a 2" closed cell foam pad on the sleeping platform and the air mattress goes on top. We made a pair of nylon straps with side-release buckles that go around the entire fold-out platform to keep both in place (with air mattress deflated, of course) when closing up the camper.
Bill
We have always favored a hard bed, but the factory queen mattress in our 8.1 was maybe a little too hard. A couple of years ago I added an inexpensive 2" egg crate topper on the original mattress, held in place with an ordinary queen fitted sheet. Since the fitted sheet is made for a much deeper mattress it is gathered and pinned in the corners. That has been more comfortable. Still, I've been looking at the Kamp-Rite Queen Self Inflating Pad http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M0YYEC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2KBVWJML6CQKX&coliid=I3VJQOWFT08UVW
It does seem a little spendy, but it's basically an oversize [span style="font-size:13.6000003814697px;"]self-inflating [/span]Thermarest. In the past we've had three air mattresses, and all eventually failed, one on its first night out, so even though we have great faith in REI I'd rather not spend that much for an air mattress that could/might leak.
I, too, have some reservations about the air mattress strategy since many seem not to have held up well. But since this one had very good customer reviews and since REI is great about full refunds in case of failure, we thought it worth a try. However, we're also keeping our 2" closed cell foam pad in place--just in case. At least if the mattress leaks we won't be left sleeping on a bare platform. We'll see how it works out.
Why not take the cushions from the bench and put them under the mattress. I wish my unit was up so I could try that out, lol.
We ordered new mattress from MattressInsider.com. They specialize in RV mattresses and are running a sale right now. We have been very happy with ours and have had a number of other people also buy from them that we told. We sleep better on these than in our own home bed! If they don't carry your size, you can special order.
Solved my mattress issue. Purchased a pair of ALPS Mountaineering Self-Inflating 3" pads. They come in a set that velcro together. Together they measure 47" x 75" (by 3", of course). Spec sheet says the set weighs over 9 lbs for the set, but I don't think they're that heavy.
I slipped them under the stock mattress, and slept better in my QS8.1 this past weekend than ever. They also insulate the stock mattress from the cold metal, so they don't get wet on the bottom. And having two separate mattresses, one for me and one for the wife, prevents me bouncing her 3 feet into the air any time I turn over.
I found I can leave them fully open in the camper during the season. I'll take them out and roll them up for the winter.
www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps/products/pads/self-inflating-air-pads/lightweight-double-air-pad
-Jim
We have a 3" mattress that we had covered with vinyl and put that in place of the factory mattress. We put a light egg crate type foam on top of that then mattress pad that I put two elastic strips on to stay and not slide. On the sheet I sewed an elastic band on so it won't slide. I put top sheet and comforter. We have three straps we tie around it so the bed won't fall when we fold up the camper and close the bed part on top. We put the pillows on top of the table. It closes just fine and the next time we open it, the bed is completely ready.
[quote source="/post/4269/thread" author="@quicksilverbill" timestamp="1413465106"]I, too, have some reservations about the air mattress strategy since many seem not to have held up well. But since this one had very good customer reviews and since REI is great about full refunds in case of failure, we thought it worth a try. However, we're also keeping our 2" closed cell foam pad in place--just in case. At least if the mattress leaks we won't be left sleeping on a bare platform. We'll see how it works out.[/quote]Hi Quicksilverbill,
How is the "Kamp-Rite Self Inflating Pad" working out for you? I was looking at the queen size as complete mattress replacement in our 8.0, and hoping they could stay in place. I added D rings on the bed ends and now tie in the original mattress for the flip open and close. We have been slipping thermarests under the original mattresses (3" and 1" thick), and are comfortable, but I would like to eliminate handling them.
Is the Kamp-Rite comfortable by itself without your extra closed cell foam pad? Do you think you could swing the bed ends, and close the camper with these mattresses in place?
Thanks for your help. I hope you have a comfortable bed.
sg
Hi SG,
I'm not the one with the self inflating pad. We're using the REI Relax Air Bed. Here's the link: http://www.rei.com/product/870779/rei-relax-air-bed-queen?cm_mmc=aff_AL-_-41227-_-55963-_-Custom+Link&avad=55963_a82a76f6&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2Fproduct%2F870779%2Frei-relax-air-bed-queen%3Fcm_mmc%3Daff_AL-_-41227-_-55963-_-Custom%2BLink%26avad%3D55963_a82a76f6&avad=55963_a82a76f6
We just took a two week trip to Florida and were very, very pleased with this on top of the closed cell foam. We haven't tried it without the foam underlay, but I suspect that the air mattress alone would be too cold without the insulating foam beneath. We leave the deflated mattress in place when closing the camper (have a pair of nylon straps that hold it in position, and it adds neither bulk nor significant weight. Takes less than 5 minutes to inflate when we're setting up. Also, it deflates by itself (enough to close the camper) in just a few minutes.
All in all, we found it very comfortable and reasonably convenient.
Bill
Hi QuicksilverBill,
That sounds like a good combination. By themselves I find air mattresses bouncy. I'm still looking for a 1 layer solution, as the original mattress + thermarest is working for us now.
Thanks,
Sally
[quote source="/post/4262/thread" timestamp="1413412879" author="@chuck893"]We have always favored a hard bed, but the factory queen mattress in our 8.1 was maybe a little too hard. A couple of years ago I added an inexpensive 2" egg crate topper on the original mattress, held in place with an ordinary queen fitted sheet. Since the fitted sheet is made for a much deeper mattress it is gathered and pinned in the corners. That has been more comfortable. Still, I've been looking at the Kamp-Rite Queen Self Inflating Pad http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M0YYEC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2KBVWJML6CQKX&coliid=I3VJQOWFT08UVW
It does seem a little spendy, but it's basically an oversize [span style="font-size:13.6000003814697px;"]self-inflating [/span]Thermarest. In the past we've had three air mattresses, and all eventually failed, one on its first night out, so even though we have great faith in REI I'd rather not spend that much for an air mattress that could/might leak. [/quote]Hi Chuck,
Have you made the commitment to try the Kamp-Rite Self inflating mattress? I'm looking for a 1 piece, stay-in-place, mattress to furnish our 8.0, and this looks like a strong contender. Is this how you imagine using it? I bought a 3" Alps "thermarest" as removable add-on under the original for me (an old 1" works for my spouse). Depending on how much we camp after we retire this summer, I might buy this and let you know about it. Thanks for all the good info QS you provide on this and the yahoo forum.
Sally
[quote timestamp="1425481882" author="@sg" source="/post/7432/thread"][quote source="/post/4262/thread" author="@chuck893" timestamp="1413412879"]
[/quote]Hi Chuck,
Have you made the commitment to try the Kamp-Rite Self inflating mattress? I'm looking for a 1 piece, stay-in-place, mattress to furnish our 8.0, and this looks like a strong contender. Is this how you imagine using it? I bought a 3" Alps "thermarest" as removable add-on under the original for me (an old 1" works for my spouse). Depending on how much we camp after we retire this summer, I might buy this and let you know about it. Thanks for all the good info QS you provide on this and the yahoo forum.
Sally[/quote]Hi, Sally-- Yes, that's exactly how we plan on using it, replacing the factory mattress + thin topper we presently have. I haven't bought the Kamp-Rite yet, but I am pretty sure I will. We won't go out until at least mid-April so I have a little time.
I do foresee a possible problem for you, though: you have a "straight eight." According to the floor plan on LL's website, the bed frames on an 8.0 measure 48"x84". According to Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Kamp-Rite-Double-Self-Inflating-Pad/dp/B004M0YYBA/ref=pd_sim_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0RX45QSFQY6VG7F32D3S the dimensions for the double mattress are 50"x77", two inches too wide for the QS 8.0 bed frame. This might or might not be a problem for sleeping, but if you were planning to leave the mattress in/on the bed frame when closed up, I can see a problem closing up. The queen size that fits the 8.1 that we have measures 59.5"x77", which should fit almost perfectly into the 60"x84" bed frame, a few inches too short, yes, but not too wide. I'm honestly not sure what you do in that case.
We bought a 4" closed cell wcover from Walmart and got rid of the factory junk. Fits snugly into my 6.0 and won't fall out when raised. I believe about $80 sale price and came with washable cover. I weigh around 190 and Don"t bottom out! Try it..some walmarts will let you return if not satisfied but it varies with store. No hooksstraps etc to hold it in.
[quote source="/post/7435/thread" timestamp="1425488387" author="@buffres"]We bought a 4" closed cell wcover from Walmart and got rid of the factory junk. Fits snugly into my 6.0 and won't fall out when raised. I believe about $80 sale price and came with washable cover. I weigh around 190 and Don"t bottom out! Try it..some walmarts will let you return if not satisfied but it varies with store. No hooksstraps etc to hold it in.
[/quote]May I ask, is this the one you got? http://www.walmart.com/ip/4569414?productRedirect=true
If this is the one, or at least close enough, I may rethink the Kamp-Rite I've been looking at. This is less expensive, 4 full inches thick, and I bet it would do the job nicely. I do weigh more than you (ashamed to admit to 230) but I'd hope I wouldn't bottom out either. I've been having trouble with my aging hips with the factory mattress + 2" topper.
Sorry I thought I had sent this before. Yes this looks like the one we got. Hope it works for you.
[quote source="/post/7600/thread" timestamp="1425944272" author="@buffres"]Sorry I thought I had sent this before. Yes this looks like the one we got. Hope it works for you.[/quote]Thanks! I think I'm gonna order one! I will be sure to report back.
Chuck893: I look forward to your report, I'm frustrated with our 10.0 beds - its odd
FIRST NIGHT - bed is OKAY, Decent
SECOND NIGHT - uhh this is a little tough
THIRD NIGHT - %(*# we're ordering new mattresses when we get home...
this is the 3rd trip so far this year, we've ordered a mattress from amazon, not my choosing - was the Wife, it will be hers, but I Want something good, nice, and dreamy. - yes guys we sleep on opposite ends, we have 3 kids, one gets the 'cool' bed in middle with the dog - I sleep with one, wife sleep with the other, we switch kids like a merry-go-around, so each kid sleeps with the dog :) and the Youngest sleeps with mom at least once.
[quote source="/post/7655/thread" timestamp="1426040642" author="@clyde"]Chuck893: I look forward to your report, I'm frustrated with our 10.0 beds - its odd
FIRST NIGHT - bed is OKAY, Decent
SECOND NIGHT - uhh this is a little tough
THIRD NIGHT - %(*# we're ordering new mattresses when we get home...
this is the 3rd trip so far this year, we've ordered a mattress from amazon, not my choosing - was the Wife, it will be hers, but I Want something good, nice, and dreamy. - yes guys we sleep on opposite ends, we have 3 kids, one gets the 'cool' bed in middle with the dog - I sleep with one, wife sleep with the other, we switch kids like a merry-go-around, so each kid sleeps with the dog :) and the Youngest sleeps with mom at least once.[/quote]I think your sleeping rotation sounds perfect. We didn't know the 8.1 existed in 2010 and had concluded to buy a straight-8 and sleep on opposite ends. We're glad we found the 8.1 because my bride sleeps cold. The first two seasons we found the factory mattress tolerable (we like a hard bed), but by the third season I added a 2" egg-crate topper that is no two inches (!) but it helped. Last season my hips started hurting pretty bad, which is why the mattress hunt now. But there won't be a report for a while. We doubt we will go out until at least mid-April.
Went to wal-mart today to pick up two of these
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dream-Serenity-4-Memory-Foam-Topper-Multiple-Sizes/22884911
of course, we chose the queen sizes, now its in the VAN ready to try out when we leave for camping in the AM.
Wife wants to air out the mattress, I do not want to - it will be a pain to roll it up again and put in the van, as the camper is all packed up and in the garage ready to go.
I hope it "inflates" quickly enough.
We're heading out to Mother Neff State Park at 6 AM, times for me to go to bed, and then we're leaving first thing in the AM.
I ll send a report on our mattresses.
[quote source="/post/7818/thread" timestamp="1426396047" author="@clyde"]Went to wal-mart today to pick up two of these
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dream-Serenity-4-Memory-Foam-Topper-Multiple-Sizes/22884911
of course, we chose the queen sizes, now its in the VAN ready to try out when we leave for camping in the AM.
Wife wants to air out the mattress, I do not want to - it will be a pain to roll it up again and put in the van, as the camper is all packed up and in the garage ready to go.
I hope it "inflates" quickly enough.
We're heading out to Mother Neff State Park at 6 AM, times for me to go to bed, and then we're leaving first thing in the AM.
I ll send a report on our mattresses.
[/quote]Have a good outing! I will be waiting for your report. I now have both the Spa Sensations ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/4569415?registryId=99540025365&listId=0d9b1a55-1880-4929-ac38-3b00cf7cda46&listType=WL ) and the Dream Serenity ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dream-Serenity-4-Memory-Foam-Topper-Multiple-Sizes/22884911 ) on a wish list. The difference is the depth of the memory foam: the Spa Sensations has 1.5", and the Dream Serenity 2". I'm not sure which would be better for my sensitive hips. I will likely be ordering one or the other. I'm now leaning to the Dream Serenity with 2" of memory foam.
After a 3 day trip out to Mother Neff State Park in Texas ( http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/mother-neff ) about 30 minutes from Waco Texas.
Enjoyable trip - very very nice recently renovated campground, with full hookups - sewer, water, electric 30,50,and 15 amp hookups, for my father's Jayco Travel Trailer, and out Quicksilver 10
The mattress smells, but I think with the quicksilver being a very airy type of camper, the smell did not linger that long, or we got used to it rather quickly.
Wife had her old mattress taken out, we placed the new mattress (4 inch memory foam topper, 2 inch memory foam, 2 inch conventional form on bottom) and I just used mine as a topper.
First Night report - not bad at all!! it was a little soft for me, but the wife said it was a MAJOR improvement, no hip soreness int he AM. I did not have any soreness, but a little lower back - due to the softness of the mattress, so I thought. I took out the mattress, and found out the 2nd night, the bed was slightly firm - I think the mattress I left was so soft, made me think it was too soft.
Folding it, it was just fine, its heavier than it was with the old mattress. the mattress sticks above the bed a good 2 inches ([a href=""][a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/131234050@N06/16849740855/player/"]click to see photo[/a][/a])
(https://www.flickr.com/photos/131234050@N06/16849740855/player/)I think the major point of our trip that was very pleasurable was because we added 4 more stabilizers ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000760FWU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) to our setup 2 in the rear at the bumper area, 2 in the front , on the A part of the frame, and also adding 2 more chocks for a full set of chocks on each tire, our wobbling, shaking, when moving in bed during the night, was eliminated.
Thanks, Clyde, for that detailed report, and the photograph (and now that you have a Flickr account you have to post pix of your adventures). https://www.flickr.com/photos/43619751@N06/sets/72157625136477625/
I'm not surprised the mattresses smell: all foams outgas some chemicals, some of which might be hazardous, esp. for people with respiratory issues (as it happens I have mild asthma). So far as I know, not much can be done about the outgassing, and most of it goes away in time, and a Quicksilver is less likely to contain high concentrations. At my age I'm not concerned.
I think I have decided to go back to the Spa Sensations version, with a half-inch less memory foam. Lighter weight and maybe a slightly stiffer mattress. The plan is to completely replace the factory mattress (+ 2" egg-crate topper than is nowhere near 2"). I was leaning to the one you bought, but changed my fickle mind again. :D
I'm following this thread intently because I am on the hunt for a new mattress too. I just found this site that has interlocking rubber tiles. I think I will lay these on the aluminum base to protect from the cold metal. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a memory foam mattress topper, but I can't quite decide yet.
https://www.foamtiles.com/tiles/index.html
We place an egg crate foam on top of the mattress then a thermarest pad on top of the egg crate which we have done from our first trip with the camper (8.0), nice and comfy. We have been doing this set up since tent camping, the egg crate prevents the thermarest pad from sliding around.
We bought a used QS 8.0 with old and worn original mattresses that needed to be replaced immediately. The mattress sizes are irregular at 48" x 84" and we saw that stack height for mattresses would be limited (too much height would not allow the top to shut tight). We ended up going for a CHEAP but great solution: IKEA. We purchased two LOVAS couch mattresses and covered them with an inexpensive waterproof/tickproof cover. I did have to cut them and custom sew the covers... Being that they are built for a couch there are two foam mattresses for each side, but we cannot feel the seam where they come together when we sleep on both bunks. They are just over 4" thick and we take half of one of the mattress out on the sink side so that the top will shut completely (stows under the couch/table are in a custom plastic sleeve). This has been wonderful as we can wash the covers and they are easily brought into the house for storage since each side is two pieces. Until someone thinks of something better and cheaper than $90 per side that was my best solution.
I have noticed air mattresses for SUV's that would be my second choice as they are an irregular size that would fit the QS, but they wouldn't insulate like ours. In 20 degree weather camping at Palo Duro State park we were super comfortable on our Ikea mattresses with just two small space heaters.
I promised to report, but we have still not been out this season. However, from Walmart I ordered and received the Spa Sensations 4'' Memory Foam Mattress Topper, queen size, to fit the queen end of our QS 8.1. We only just got the camper open last week and put the mattress in. It turns out to be a little wider than the bed frame (length is perfect), plus of course it is 4 full inches thick, so between the extra height and slight width it's a little tough to close the lid. It's also heavier. It will take some finessing. We're already used to some of that since for the last two seasons we have had a thin topper on the factory mattress. We have completely replaced the factory+topper mattress with the 4" memory foam.
We're trying to get out for a spring shakedown next week to actually sleep on it. I'll let you know!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/4569415?registryId=99540025365&listId=0d9b1a55-1880-4929-ac38-3b00cf7cda46&listType=WL (Price has gone up $10 since we ordered ours but shipping is free right to the door.)
Quote from: @chuck893" source="/post/10618/thread" timestamp="1431347284I promised to report, but we have still not been out this season. However, from Walmart I ordered and received the Spa Sensations 4'' Memory Foam Mattress Topper, queen size, to fit the queen end of our QS 8.1. We only just got the camper open last week and put the mattress in. It turns out to be a little wider than the bed frame (length is perfect), plus of course it is 4 full inches thick, so between the extra height and slight width it's a little tough to close the lid. It's also heavier. It will take some finessing. We're already used to some of that since for the last two seasons we have had a thin topper on the factory mattress. We have completely replaced the factory+topper mattress with the 4" memory foam.
[font color="#f82c10" size="4"]We're trying to get out for a spring shakedown next week to actually sleep on it. I'll let you know![/font]
http://www.walmart.com/ip/4569415?registryId=99540025365&listId=0d9b1a55-1880-4929-ac38-3b00cf7cda46&listType=WL (Price has gone up $10 since we ordered ours but shipping is free right to the door.)
Happy for you! Good reminder for us in the South to be grateful for the year round camping opportunities we have. Alas, we take it for granted all too often!
Have a good, restful time, especially on your new mattress fixin's.
[quote source="/post/10618/thread" timestamp="1431347284" author="@chuck893"]I promised to report, but we have still not been out this season. However, from Walmart I ordered and received the Spa Sensations 4'' Memory Foam Mattress Topper, queen size, to fit the queen end of our QS 8.1. We only just got the camper open last week and put the mattress in. It turns out to be a little wider than the bed frame (length is perfect), plus of course it is 4 full inches thick, so between the extra height and slight width it's a little tough to close the lid. It's also heavier. It will take some finessing. We're already used to some of that since for the last two seasons we have had a thin topper on the factory mattress. We have completely replaced the factory+topper mattress with the 4" memory foam.
We're trying to get out for a spring shakedown next week to actually sleep on it. I'll let you know!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/4569415?registryId=99540025365&listId=0d9b1a55-1880-4929-ac38-3b00cf7cda46&listType=WL (Price has gone up $10 since we ordered ours but shipping is free right to the door.)[/quote]Is it really only 18lbs for the Queen? Some of these are boat anchor heavy. Weight is also a good way to judge density of these. Thanks!
I use this, from Cabela's.
I bought this one over 15 yrs ago from Cabela's and at a lower price than at Today's Price.
I am now using it in my BC16FK on top of the thin mattress that LL Provided and I am sleeping excellent with this additional top sleeping pad. The outer cover zips off for easy washing.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Camp-Bedding/Sleeping-Pads%7C/pc/104795280/c/104712480/sc/104484780/Cabelas-Deluxe-Camp-Beds/732419.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsleeping-pads%2F_%2FN-1100678%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104484780
[quote source="/post/7313/thread" timestamp="1425138140" author="@sg"][quote source="/post/4269/thread" timestamp="1413465106" author="@quicksilverbill"]I, too, have some reservations about the air mattress strategy since many seem not to have held up well. But since this one had very good customer reviews and since REI is great about full refunds in case of failure, we thought it worth a try. However, we're also keeping our 2" closed cell foam pad in place--just in case. At least if the mattress leaks we won't be left sleeping on a bare platform. We'll see how it works out.[/quote]Hi Quicksilverbill,
How is the "Kamp-Rite Self Inflating Pad" working out for you? I was looking at the queen size as complete mattress replacement in our 8.0, and hoping they could stay in place. I added D rings on the bed ends and now tie in the original mattress for the flip open and close. We have been slipping thermarests under the original mattresses (3" and 1" thick), and are comfortable, but I would like to eliminate handling them.
Is the Kamp-Rite comfortable by itself without your extra closed cell foam pad? Do you think you could swing the bed ends, and close the camper with these mattresses in place?
Thanks for your help. I hope you have a comfortable bed.
sg[/quote][p]I know this is an old thread, but I ordered a Kamp-rite today. We've tried the two Thermarest trick in the past, but they are too narrow and slide around. Additionally, ours are only 2 inches thick. We'll strap this in place and simply open the valves for storage. It makes me think I'll eventually remove the original mattress completely, but will try both first. Stay tuned for results.[/p][p]
[/p]
[quote source="/post/10680/thread" timestamp="1431427258" author="@whoofit"][/quote]It does seem to weigh around 18 pounds, heavier than the factory mattress, but I haven't actually weighed it and it's out of the box now. We are going out Monday (5-18) and coming back Wednesday, so we'll have two nights on it. You're right that being lighter weight than some of the others it is probably less dense. We sure hope it's more comfortable than the factory + thin topper that finally got to my hips last season. It at least is the full 4" thick. :)
[p]Here's hoping, Chuck. Am interested in your take. My trailer could use a little padding. 18lbs and workable would be welcomed. I just ordered this one overnighted. Not memory foam and only 3.5". Should only weigh 12lbs or so. Testing this weekend. We shall see.[/p][p]
[/p][p]
(http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t521/minuteman1965/k2-_4c5f9855-694c-4e10-87e6-d7e948b46cd7_v1_zpsplxgamfp.jpg)
[quote source="/post/10775/thread" timestamp="1431546498" author="@chuck893"] We are going out Monday (5-18) and coming back Wednesday, so we'll have two nights on it. We sure hope it's more comfortable than the factory + thin topper that finally got to my hips last season. It at least is the full 4" thick. :)
[/quote]I guess Chuck has found a good match. He has now overslept for 24 hours. That must be one heck of a mattress. I'm jealous...
[quote source="/post/11193/thread" author="@whoofit" timestamp="1432251110"][quote source="/post/10775/thread" author="@chuck893" timestamp="1431546498"] We are going out Monday (5-18) and coming back Wednesday, so we'll have two nights on it. We sure hope it's more comfortable than the factory + thin topper that finally got to my hips last season. It at least is the full 4" thick. :)
[/quote]I guess Chuck has found a good match. He has now overslept for 24 hours. That must be one heck of a mattress. I'm jealous...
[/quote]Hardy har har! (rofl) Hokay! The new 4" memory-foam mattress is GREAT, except that it's possibly a little too soft and thick. It was pretty hard for my bride to get out of bed. She may need to rethink how she does it. Pushing off the mattress as she used to do is much harder since the new mattress is so much thicker and softer. I notice that it's also harder for me to roll over for the same reason, and also a little harder even for me to get out of bed although I use a different technique (I crawl. I sleep on the outside so she doesn't have to crawl over me). Nevertheless I slept well and my hips did not hurt in the morning! That's what I was hoping for.
The mattress is definitely a keeper. We have an ordinary queen-size fitted bottom sheet on it (we use sleeping bags rather than making beds). The sheet fits fine despite being made for a much thicker mattress.
The challenge posed by the thing is that it is (1) 4 full inches thick, twice as thick as the factory mattress, and (2) it is maybe an inch or so wider than the bed frame. That, coupled with it being about 18 pounds makes it a challenge to get the rig closed. We used to hold the factory mattress in the frame as we brought it over (we have never put in fittings for strapping it in---maybe we should). Even when we added a thin egg crate topper we could still close the lid and snap the tonneau. With this heavier mattress we are sliding it out of the frame onto the top of the closed tent, closing the lid, and trying to somehow get the mattress to fit inside the lip of the frame, but the resistance is pretty high. Getting it stuffed under the lip on both ends is easy, but neither of us has the reach to stuff it under the lip in the center so it tends to hold the lid up. A lot! We've only dealt with it a couple of times so far so there's a learning curve, but right now the "lid" is sticking up far enough that we can't fully snap the tonneau, so that means it's not weather sealed. It's a problem we must somehow solve.
Since we've owned Rose we've always followed the factory recommendation of closing "small end first," so the big end of the tent rests on top of the small end. The next time we go out I think I may try reversing that to see if I might gain more clearance for the thicker, wider mattress. If the big end of the tent is lying lower in the box...? Maybe?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/4569415?registryId=99540025365&listId=0d9b1a55-1880-4929-ac38-3b00cf7cda46&listType=WL
The Kamp rite arrived. It's very nice. As the instructions stated, it took about 3 days to self inflate the first time. Now, if you roll it up, let it set overnight, and unroll it, it takes about 35 minutes. Very comfortable on the living room floor, so I think it will be fine in the camper. We plan to leave it unrolled in the camper, and just open the valves when we fold it up.
I'm recovering from a knee replacement, so it's probably another month before we get to camp with it.
[quote source="/post/11592/thread" timestamp="1432777866" author="@sidecarmike"]I'm recovering from a knee replacement, so it's probably another month before we get to camp with it.[/quote][font size="3"]This must be a group of old guys falling apart. I'm starting my third week of recovery from my second TKR. I had the other knee replaced 3 months ago. The prognosis is good, but damn it's painful. See you hobbling around the campground :)[/font]
[font size="3"]What's the difference between a therapist and a terrorist? You can negotiate with a terrorist [/font]:P
We have an 8.1 and purchased this one at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dream-Serenity-4-Memory-Foam-Topper-Multiple-Sizes/22884911
They usually have it in stock, on the shelf. The dimensions are a little different than Chuck's I thought they were the same. Walmart may have different stock based on region. It fit the 8.1 queen perfectly, however, I also had trouble closing it in place. Chuck, I don't think you can close the big side first on the 8.1. I tried it several times and the biminis get fouled up. I believe you must close the small side first.
I keep the factory mattress where it is. I keep the memory foam topper rolled up and tucked in the space between the AC unit and kitchenette top. When setting up and putting down that space is accessible without the tent being up. I fold out the bunk, pull out the mattress top, put it on the factory mattress and make the bed. When closing, I have a cheap blue tarp (the free ones they give away at Harbor Freight fit well) that i put under the mattress top, then I fold it in half length way and roll it up and tie it. I can't get it rolled that tightly, but it fits well enough in that space and it is not too cumbersome. The tarp keeps it clean.
The topper is very soft, that is why i kept the factory mattress in for extra support. We slept 3 nights on the topper and factory mattress, best nights sleep camping. All three nights were comfortable with no sore hips or shoulders. Wife enjoyed it as well.
[quote source="/post/11594/thread" timestamp="1432779716" author="@charliem"][quote source="/post/11592/thread" timestamp="1432777866" author="@sidecarmike"]I'm recovering from a knee replacement, so it's probably another month before we get to camp with it.[/quote][font size="3"]This must be a group of old guys falling apart. I'm starting my third week of recovery from my second TKR. I had the other knee replaced 3 months ago. The prognosis is good, but damn it's painful. See you hobbling around the campground :)[/font]
[font size="3"]What's the difference between a therapist and a terrorist? You can negotiate with a terrorist [/font]:P
[/quote]I was 25 when I had my first knee arthroscopy. For 40 years they kept saying I'm too young for a replacement. Now they tell me I should have insisted. Left one in Sept. of 2009 right one April 2015. Best thing I ever did to my body.
[quote source="/post/11700/thread" timestamp="1432910188" author="@jagwire64"]We have an 8.1 and purchased this one at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dream-Serenity-4-Memory-Foam-Topper-Multiple-Sizes/22884911
They usually have it in stock, on the shelf. The dimensions are a little different than Chuck's I thought they were the same. Walmart may have different stock based on region. It fit the 8.1 queen perfectly, however, I also had trouble closing it in place. Chuck, I don't think you can close the big side first on the 8.1. I tried it several times and the biminis get fouled up. I believe you must close the small side first.
I keep the factory mattress where it is. I keep the memory foam topper rolled up and tucked in the space between the AC unit and kitchenette top. When setting up and putting down that space is accessible without the tent being up. I fold out the bunk, pull out the mattress top, put it on the factory mattress and make the bed. When closing, I have a cheap blue tarp (the free ones they give away at Harbor Freight fit well) that i put under the mattress top, then I fold it in half length way and roll it up and tie it. I can't get it rolled that tightly, but it fits well enough in that space and it is not too cumbersome. The tarp keeps it clean.
The topper is very soft, that is why i kept the factory mattress in for extra support. We slept 3 nights on the topper and factory mattress, best nights sleep camping. All three nights were comfortable with no sore hips or shoulders. Wife enjoyed it as well. [/quote]Thanks for your post. Right now the plan is to use only the topper in place of the factory mattress, mainly because we tend to camp to tour and are often only one night in a camp. I always want to keep the setup and takedown as simple as possible. I would absolutely do what you're doing if I continue to get sore hips. So far we have only slept two nights on the new mattress, but we're going out tomorrow for a more extended stay so we'll give it, and us, a good workout.
Thanks also for saving me the trouble of trying to reverse the takedown (big end first). I didn't figure it would work.
The sizes may indeed be slightly different. Ours is the Spa Sensations and you got the Dream Serenity. Ours fits the bed frame perfectly lengthwise, but is maybe just under an inch wider than the "tray." It's easily stuffed under when we're setting up, but taking down is another story. As I said earlier, we are sliding it out of the frame onto the top of the closed tent, closing the lid, and trying to somehow get the mattress to fit inside the lip of the frame, but the resistance is pretty high. Once we manage to stuff it under the lip and get the tonneau snapped, when we're under way the vibration quickly allows the weight of the bed frame to somewhat compress the thicker mattress, and the tent and bars, and the problem solves itself. We will work with it as is for awhile, but thanks very much for detailing your method. If we need it we'll use it!
We just returned from a 10-day outing in our 8,1, sleeping on our new Spa Sensations 4'' Memory Foam Mattress Topper, queen size: www.walmart.com/ip/4569415?registryId=99540025365&listId=0d9b1a55-1880-4929-ac38-3b00cf7cda46&listType=WL
We slept fine! We used only the topper, nothing extra. It comes already in its own cover. We added our same old fun-candy-striped fitted queen bottom sheet, which fits fine even though it's intended for a much thicker arrangement.
The topper is super soft, and when crawling in and out you can feel your hand and knee bottom out, but when lying on it, for us it is completely comfortable. (Full disclosure, I weigh about 225.) It's so soft that sometimes rolling over is a little difficult! :D We don't "make the bed" (too much trouble!); we use sleeping bags. We were in lower Michigan, where it gets pretty warm and humid. The overnights were running low 50's-ish, so we were using the bags like quilts and sleeping directly on top of the sheeted topper.
When we struck the camp I checked underneath the topper for condensation and did not find any, although with early morning humidity running up to 70% (according to our little digital indoor/outdoor thingy) [a href="https://flic.kr/p/kjMMVH"]
[img style="max-width:100%;" src="https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7347/12683410055_4095d10edd_n.jpg"][/a][a href="https://flic.kr/p/kjMMVH"]Temperature Sensor[/a] by [a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/43619751@N06/"]Chuck Haacker[/a], on Flickr
Because the topper weighs about 18# we are (as mentioned in other posts) not trying to carry it over with the bed frame as we used to do with the factory mattress. We slide it over onto the folded tent and bring the bed frame over on top of it. The challenge is that the mattress is a little wider the than the frame (length is perfect) so we are still learning how to stuff the thing under the lip of the frame so the top will close. It's tricky. I will figure it out. We are getting it closed somehow and the tonneau on for weather tightness. Coming home yesterday we had to cruise through some powerful thunderstorms, and as always there is not a single drop of water inside the trailer (Yay)! :D
You were in my neck o the woods! I live in Grand Rapids. Where did you camp? I'm always looking for new places to go.
[quote source="/post/12187/thread" timestamp="1434044386" author="@lillipets"]You were in my neck o the woods! I live in Grand Rapids. Where did you camp? I'm always looking for new places to go.[/quote]I wish I could tell you that we were in, say, Warren Dunes (a great place we have camped) or any of the other great Michigan state parks, but we go to visit "Our Kidz" who presently live in East Lansing. There is exactly one camp right in the middle of Lansing, Lansing Cottonwood Campground, and we are so glad it's there, a really lovely park only 8 miles from our kidz, but pretty civilized (water, electric, porcelain, pool &c &c). It's a great place for people who mostly camp to tour, but not if you prefer roughing it. http://www.lansingcottonwoodcampground.com/Information.html One minor annoyance this trip was the cottonwoods spewing cotton like snow. It was hard to keep it out of the trailer. :P
Here's a shot from beneath the shedding, ah, spreading cottonwoods. You can see the cotton on the grass. But it's lovely, very well maintained camp (bathrooms cleaned twice a day every day). There's a lovely little pond in the background (they have two). The shade in this site is great, worth the slight irritation of all that cotton-pickin' cotton. :D
[a href="https://flic.kr/p/uwEMzD"]
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8871/18725051971_1c6bfda124.jpg), on Flickr
I had NO idea there was a campground there! It looks lovely. I just got a book about the best places for tent camping in Mich and Warren Dunes is listed. I'm gonna have to check it out!
Just bought a Novaform ComfortLuxe Gel Memory Foam 3 inch Mattress topper from Costco which comes in at a whopping 28 Lbs. It is a bear to move around but We wanted something that was going to be undeniably comfortable. Place it on top of the current mattress and you are in Heaven. We paid $139. But feel the investment of 8 hours of comfortable sleep per night in the QS 10. is a non negotiable and makes the next day so much better. The kids manage without one.
http://www.costco.com/ProductDisplay?storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&langId=-1&partNumber=11765557
I was at Costco today 7/10/2015 and it was listed at $109.00.
Quote from: @pilgrim" source="/post/12874/thread" timestamp="1435791470Just bought a Novaform ComfortLuxe Gel Memory Foam 3 inch Mattress topper from Costco which comes in at a whopping 28 Lbs. It is a bear to move around but We wanted something that was going to be undeniably comfortable. Place it on top of the current mattress and you are in Heaven. We paid $139. But feel the investment of 8 hours of comfortable sleep per night in the QS 10. is a non negotiable and makes the next day so much better. The kids manage without one.
http://www.costco.com/ProductDisplay?storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&langId=-1&partNumber=11765557
I was at Costco today 7/10/2015 and it was listed at $109.00.
I got the same topper for my 6.0. Will be trying it out this weekend! Glad to hear you like it.
What is the maximum thickness of a mattress that will still allow you to securely fold over the bed base? It sounds like 4" might be too much? Or, is it more that some mattress toppers are a little wider than the bed base?
Quote from: @alf" source="/post/24751/thread" timestamp="1474328399What is the maximum thickness of a mattress that will still allow you to securely fold over the bed base? It sounds like 4" might be too much? Or, is it more that some mattress toppers are a little wider than the bed base?
Our 4" fits fine but better if we move it aft where there's no sink or faucet and it's sunny so the foam compresses easier under the weight of the bed pan. But honestly every QS gets packed different so it's easier to buy from a place you can make a return like Costco since these aren't cheap. It changed the game for us and make our 10-day trip possible honestly. good luck!
[quote source="/post/25061/thread" author="@obadiah" timestamp="1475291137"][quote timestamp="1474328399" author="@alf" source="/post/24751/thread"]What is the maximum thickness of a mattress that will still allow you to securely fold over the bed base? It sounds like 4" might be too much? Or, is it more that some mattress toppers are a little wider than the bed base?[/quote]
Our 4" fits fine but better if we move it aft where there's no sink or faucet and it's sunny so the foam compresses easier under the weight of the bed pan. But honestly every QS gets packed different so it's easier to buy from a place you can make a return like Costco since these aren't cheap. It changed the game for us and make our 10-day trip possible honestly. good luck![/quote]I have back problems so I decided to go with a 6" memory foam mattress. "But won't that be too thick for the base?" Yes, so I had to come up with a new plan. We'd decided after the first trip with our new 8.1 that we didn't need the second bench and wanted to replace the stock table with a more more narrow/stable one. Here's what we ended up doing:
[a href="http://imgur.com/a/iu73b"]Mattress Storage Images[/a]
[quote source="/post/25451/thread" timestamp="1477010789" author="@robsweet"]
Quote from: @obadiah" timestamp="1475291137" source="/post/25061/threadOur 4" fits fine but better if we move it aft where there's no sink or faucet and it's sunny so the foam compresses easier under the weight of the bed pan. But honestly every QS gets packed different so it's easier to buy from a place you can make a return like Costco since these aren't cheap. It changed the game for us and make our 10-day trip possible honestly. good luck!
I have back problems so I decided to go with a 6" memory foam mattress. "But won't that be too thick for the base?" Yes, so I had to come up with a new plan. We'd decided after the first trip with our new 8.1 that we didn't need the second bench and wanted to replace the stock table with a more more narrow/stable one. Here's what we ended up doing:
[a href="http://imgur.com/a/iu73b"]Mattress Storage Images[/a][/quote]We just bought a 6" mattress for our 6.0: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HCZ0XF8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thickness is actually more like 5.5", which is about as thick as we can go and still close up the trailer. As it is, we need to do a little tucking and poking in order to fully snap the tonneau cover. The mattress is a full-length Queen size, so we had to slice 4" off one end to fit into the short Queen dimensions of the 6.0 bunk.
We tested the mattress this weekend, and felt that it was very comfortable, much more comfortable than our previous setup of the original pad (I am NOT going to dignify it by calling it a 'mattress!) plus a 3" foam topper. We also tried putting the original pad under the 6" mattress; I thought that was more comfortable, but my wife thought it made no difference at all. Either way, we are SO much happier than we were before. Temperatures fell to 40 degrees F, but we were snug and warm on our thick plush mattress and our down comforter.
We just purchased a 2013 8.1 and definitely want to upgrade the "mattress". I like the idea of the 6 inch foam mattress mentioned above. I can't imagine it would be anything but comfortable. Though it does add probably 40 pounds of weight and significant bulk. Has anybody used these or something like them: https://www.amazon.com/Nemo-Cosmo-Insulated-Sleeping-30XL/dp/B00EYMV66W
They are insulated, 4 inches think, weigh like 3 lbs each, 2 of them would perfectly fit the 60x80 dimensions, 2 pads means you don't bug your partner when you roll around, and can be used for tent camping and other situations. All the reviews I've seen give them very high marks. Downside is that they cost more than the above foam mattress and, like most air mattresses, will likely fail at some point.
Thoughts?
Nevermind - I've seen on some other threads where people have done something similar to this. Being new here, I should probably take a look around before I ask questions that have already been answered. Thanks!