I have a 2012 16DB which has sat a lot in the desert sun. I was just told by a repair place I trust that the tires are too close to dry rot to make the lengthy trip I plan for this summer. (They don't sell tires themselves.) But....due to the aluminum frame, it can't be put on a lift which means taking it to a tire place like I would a car, is not going to work. The only safe thing I can think of is to remove one wheel at a time, at home, take it in, get the tired put on it, take it back home, put it back on the trailer, take the next one off. There HAS to be a better way. Who has bought tires and not had to do one wheel at a time because of the lift problem?
I took two jacks and lifted both sides (and used jack stands for safety). I then removed all 4 wheels and took them at once. Worked great. By the way, I got the Carlisle RH Radial tires and so far they have been really good.
Even with a steel frame, I don't think I could trust a dealer to lift a trailer properly. I've heard so many horror stories of dealers jacking up the trailer using the axle itself as a lift point; bending the axle in the process.
I realized I just had the wheel bearings packed and I bet that it is already ruined. It was a good place but I doubt they realized that they could not just jack up the aluminum frame. Screwed probably, already.
[font size="3"]Maybe, maybe not. The problem is not putting the jack on the frame, but putting it under the Dexter axles. The frame is not that easily damaged. After all, the axles support the trailer by the frame. The risk is collapsing the axle tubes by placing a floor jack under them. Closely inspect the axle tubes for signs of damage. You may be OK.
[/font]
Here's what I'm doing to get my new Maxxis tires installed tomorrow. I already had 2 sets of jack stands (they are only $25 per pair) and I used them on the aluminum frame after jacking up each side on the frame. The side frames on the Camplites are very strong and can easily taking jacking. I did use a small piece of plywood as a "cushion". I'll take all 4 wheels to the tire place in the morning and have everything back together in the afternoon. I definitely don't trust tire shops to jack up a trailer properly after seeing the crazy places they often choose as jack points for a car. They for sure can't use a regular lift on a trailer and have to jack using a floor jack. I even saw a tire place jack up a van by the driveshaft! I'm sure that was ruined and caused several folks a bad day.
Bonus; I used this as a chance to check all bearings, brakes, and the e-brake operation (which didn't work).
[attachment id="1335" thumbnail="1"]