• Welcome to Archive - Aluminium Camper Forum.

Want to upgrade 15amp breaker

Started by fchef25, December 30, 2016, 11:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fchef25

I own a 2012 8.0.  I bought it brand new in 2012, and have gone on countless trips with it.  We absolutely love it.  Just recently, we have been running a heater in addition to an electric stove and a couple other things.  As long as I'm only running one side of the stove, then we can run the heater at the same time.  As soon as I turn on the other side of the stove, the breaker trips.  I want to upgrade the 15amp breaker to a 20amp.  Is that a good idea?  If so, where would I find one of those breakers?  Is there an option to upgrade the entire power supply?  Any tips would be helpful.

pinstriper

I think you'd have to revisit everything starting at the connector, including the wire gauge, the power supply, converter, then the specific circuit for the stove. Leave anything undersized and it won't work and/or will start a fire.

Known your amps and you will likely find you can salvage much of what's there. Be prepared to replace it all.

Also, read and print everything you want from this site, before, oh, say this time tomorrow night when it all goes offline for good.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Punctuation. It saves lives.

2014 14DBS
2013 4Runner | 2006 F-150 5.4 V8 (ruh ruh ruh)
2015 Hobie Outback

fchef25

pinstriper

yup. Dead. As in doornail. As in "cease and desist because we want the domain name'. As in "get going and don't let the doorknob hit you in the ass on the way out".
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

2014 14DBS
2015 Hobie Outback

admin

Moving from a 15 to 20 amp breaker would be as simple as replacing a breaker at home. The power center should also have capacity to accept an entirely new breaker as well if you wanted to run a separate line as well. In my 10.0 it's wired adequately to allow for a 20 amp circuit so I recommend double checking the gauge wire in your 120v system but I'm betting all you need is an outlet rated for 20A and a new breaker.

On the shut down note, I posted an announcement but in short LL and their new owners have abandoned this site. They are taking back their web address as soon as they have a replacement. All in all treat this place as DOA, but it may survive for a few days.

david

Be very sure that you have 12 gauge wire in all of the circuits including branches before you replace a 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp. The NEC requires a minimum of 14 gauge for a 15 amp breaker and 12 gauge for a 20 amp breaker. LL may have upped the gauge from NEC requirements, but check.

David
David M

16TBS towed with a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder

pinstriper

[quote source="/post/26720/thread" author="@david" timestamp="1483195581"]Be very sure that you have 12 gauge wire in all of the circuits including branches before you replace a 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp. The NEC requires a minimum of 14 gauge for a 15 amp breaker and 12 gauge for a 20 amp breaker. LL may have upped the gauge from NEC requirements, but check.

David[/quote]Exactly. The wiring may or may not be up to snuff, but it has to be checked and it could require replacement (or segments of it could).

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

2014 14DBS
2015 Hobie Outback